N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I wasn't sure about the size of the NHL and the amount of teams that are out the playoff run early, but now I get it! The trade deadline was epic, really enjoyed everything about it. It sets up some teams for the future and financial ruins others!

Vegas get the shithouse award, splendid piece of cap-trolling by them 🏆

Byrom > Middlestadt though, excuse my spelling 😉

Edited by Spyro

20 hours ago, Spyro said:

I wasn't sure about the size of the NHL and the amount of teams that are out the playoff run early, but now I get it! The trade deadline was epic, really enjoyed everything about it. It sets up some teams for the future and financial ruins others!

Vegas get the shithouse award, splendid piece of cap-trolling by them 🏆

Byrom > Middlestadt though, excuse my spelling 😉

Byram apparently wanted a trade so he could be on a team where he plays a bigger role. Considering Toews and Makar are going to be the top pairing for the next five years at least, that's fair enough. I saw a clip of a Sabres powerplay where Byram carried the puck into the zone and was trying to tell his teammates to move around and actually do things, so he might have bitten off more than he can chew. 

For various reasons, Byram's Avalanche career always felt like you were just waiting and willing him to do more. Injuries cost him a lot in his early years, and they were concussions so when he came back you cringed every time he had contact. He also started on the team when the schedule was disrupted because of Covid so where was never really a sense of normality in his playing time. It was obvious that he was a total baller and the best sort of sportsperson - the one who's at their best when they're allowed to do whatever they want. He's not going to get the time to do that on a team with Makar on it, so there was always a sense he was never going to properly fulfil that potential. 

That said, I don't think player usage here helped. Makar is the only D on the first powerplay unit. The second unit had Toews, Girard and Byram on it. The first unit basically stays out for the full two minutes. If Makar wasn't playing then Toews would take his place on the top unit. It's always going to be difficult to break into a defensive group as deep as ours, but there were definitely times when Byram could and should have played more. 

Mittelstadt is a player in a position we needed. He's looked alright. 

31 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Byram apparently wanted a trade so he could be on a team where he plays a bigger role. Considering Toews and Makar are going to be the top pairing for the next five years at least, that's fair enough. I saw a clip of a Sabres powerplay where Byram carried the puck into the zone and was trying to tell his teammates to move around and actually do things, so he might have bitten off more than he can chew. 

For various reasons, Byram's Avalanche career always felt like you were just waiting and willing him to do more. Injuries cost him a lot in his early years, and they were concussions so when he came back you cringed every time he had contact. He also started on the team when the schedule was disrupted because of Covid so where was never really a sense of normality in his playing time. It was obvious that he was a total baller and the best sort of sportsperson - the one who's at their best when they're allowed to do whatever they want. He's not going to get the time to do that on a team with Makar on it, so there was always a sense he was never going to properly fulfil that potential. 

That said, I don't think player usage here helped. Makar is the only D on the first powerplay unit. The second unit had Toews, Girard and Byram on it. The first unit basically stays out for the full two minutes. If Makar wasn't playing then Toews would take his place on the top unit. It's always going to be difficult to break into a defensive group as deep as ours, but there were definitely times when Byram could and should have played more. 

Mittelstadt is a player in a position we needed. He's looked alright. 

Yeah it was a bit tongue in cheek, I know Byrom was a bit wasted at the Avs and needed a fresh start. It's a dangerous move but I hope it works out for him. 

I'm completely on the fence on Middlestadt. Everyone you hear says the complete opposite about him, he'll either be a superstar or he's already maxed out. He fills a gap though, not as good as Kerfy (or Bjugstad) would have filled it but I think the Coyotes were asking for 30% of Denver for him! 

35 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

ANYWAY

Would you believe I doubted them while watching this game?

Do you ever watch the DNVR coverage on YouTube? It's the same company that do PHNX for the Coyotes.

Cant remember the guy's name but they got an old goalie on that's always worth a listen. 

How my season has ended... 

8j64sw.jpg.8a38ca8c096374f9a6644cb74d6dc99e.jpg

Have to say my heart is leading me to Dallas for the rest of the season. I loved the Avs when I was young (Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, etc), but they were always at the top and I get bored easy, so picked myself a diddy team when I grew up! It'll be worth it when we win a cup though 🙃

On 14/03/2024 at 12:33, Spyro said:

Do you ever watch the DNVR coverage on YouTube? It's the same company that do PHNX for the Coyotes.

Cant remember the guy's name but they got an old goalie on that's always worth a listen. 

I don't really consume punditry/analysis/podcasts/whatever about sports. When I watch the games on NHL TV I skip past all the intermissions. I see some bits occasionally and most of the ex-pros Altitude uses are great, but I saw an extended amount of Yan Stastny the other night and he genuinely looked and sounded like he'd been plucked out of the crowd about five minutes before. 

The only former player on the DNVR stuff I know of is Eric Lacroix. He wasn't a goalie. He was on Altitude briefly and seemed half decent. 

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Eric Lacroix. He wasn't a goalie

That's who I meant, must pay more attention! 

Coyotes are now allowed to 'bid' on the land, another 3-5 years in limbo. You can tell the players are already fed up with it already, I can sense yet another tear-down before things get better. 

In happier news, Mon the Sabres! Would be brilliant if they sneaked into the playoff, UPL and Byrom getting a chance to shine 

It's actually getting annoying how good the Avs are, I really hope Carolina roast them in the final... But the Avs will probably come back from 3-0 in games and a goal behind with 30secs left to win the cup.

It's almost inevitable now. 

At least Ottawa understand banter, this is how you finish a shootout... 😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/IfZzpDleB7M?si=9XIxISkQ89a6hLpW

Edited by Spyro

Annunen signs a 1 way, 2 year deal. It's only 833k but they seem to be commiting to him. Hopefully he shines if Georgeiv needs him, I love an underdog story and still have a soft spot for the Avs even though I hate that they are so good! 

Doan Jnr turning out ok for the Coyotes too. I'm not jumping on the hype train but it's been amazing to watch so far

Just logged into the Premier Sports website for the first time since the Viaplay thing, the NHL coverage looks like it is going to take a massive step backwards. Viaplay have every game on demand and available for replay. As far as I can tell of last nights games Premier Sports only have 2 of the 5 games.....I hope I am just missing something.

On 10/04/2024 at 22:34, Spyro said:

f**k this shit. It's going to be Atlanta to Calgary all over again... 

Sad Cartoon GIF

FB_IMG_1712858210835.thumb.jpg.e028f3649f4ff337814239d03bcca191.jpg

My condolences. There's no way I was ever following this given some of the vitriol you get from people on the internet with a particular viewpoint on this but from what I've read this morning, it's just been a complete shambles.

4 hours ago, Stirlingblue said:

Just logged into the Premier Sports website for the first time since the Viaplay thing, the NHL coverage looks like it is going to take a massive step backwards. Viaplay have every game on demand and available for replay. As far as I can tell of last nights games Premier Sports only have 2 of the 5 games.....I hope I am just missing something.

If you're in the UK, NHL TV remains the best way to watch the NHL. £86 for a full season of streaming every game, regular season and playoffs, whenever you want it. They seem to make accessing coverage of games as hard as possible wherever you are, but we seem to get a really good deal.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

My condolences. There's no way I was ever following this given some of the vitriol you get from people on the internet with a particular viewpoint on this but from what I've read this morning, it's just been a complete shambles.

I honestly didn't think it would bother me too much but the Coyotes were my escape. I put everything into them, I followed all the prospects and I'm on a discord channel with a lot of the people who work inside the club. We were nearly there as a team, after all the years of shite, we were genuinely going somewhere... Then literally found out together (the players found out when the rest of us did!) we had been in the middle of a fraud. We have been lied to by the people at the top of the club and the stuff coming out in the last few hours in the discord is outrageous and I can see why the NHL pulled the plug on us. I can't see Arizona recovering from this anytime soon, it will be at least 10 years before hockey is back with the daft c**ts from the desert. It's all just shit, I was really looking for to the playoffs too but can't face it

47 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I did read the other day he's one of two Coyotes with a NTC. Grim.

Yeah he had found a home, the Scottsdale pull is real and it's where retired hockey players go to warm up! As much as people take the piss, players were happy to sign for the Coyotes, it was everything that came with it that killed us.

People are still unsure whether Mereulo was complacent and/or greedy, it's becoming quite clear he was nothing but a con artist. The NHL have had to basically pay for his new complex just to get him to fk and out the way so they can get on with getting Houston and Atlanta etc on board... And I honestly can't blame them for doing it now!