N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

20 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Who is everybody's chosen team?

I've been following New Jersey Devils after seeing them live and they seem to be either really good or really bad. 

Jack Hughes is the boi. 

Arizona Coyotes - started off a bit of banter but grown to love them over the years of constant defeats!

Favourite player is becoming Alex Kerfoot, he seems to have found his home in the desert and can seem to do anything asked of him. 

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Arizona Coyotes - started off a bit of banter but grown to love them over the years of constant defeats!

Favourite player is becoming Alex Kerfoot, he seems to have found his home in the desert and can seem to do anything asked of him. 

The 1 game I went to for the Devils was them getting beat by the Coyotes 😂

I presumed being a desert state they'd be shite and it was preseason but they were tidy. 

16 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

@Miguel Sanchez Have you ever played the NHL games? I'm trying one now for the first time and I am struggling.

The last game I had was 09. I bought 24 because it has Cale Makar on the cover but I've not played it yet. If there's an option to simplify the controls and go to the classic X to pass, square to shoot and triangle to hit, pick that.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

22 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The last game I had was 09. I bought 24 because it has Cale Makar on the cover but I've not played it yet. If there's an option to simplify the controls and go to the classic X to pass, square to shoot and triangle to hit, pick that.

Cheers, will try that. Managed to win a single game against one of the lowest rated teams so I might be able to learn it eventually. 

Absolutley criminal they don't have a tutorial mode. 

21 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Cheers, will try that. Managed to win a single game against one of the lowest rated teams so I might be able to learn it eventually. 

Absolutley criminal they don't have a tutorial mode. 

Think of how little gameplay innovation there's been in FIFA over the years. You're playing an EA game with an audience a fraction that size. In terms of just knowing what all the buttons do I'm sure you'll get used to it but from what I understand it's not a series which has focused on improvement or refinement over the years.

I've come to the realisation I'll never be able to stay up til 12 to watch games live so settled for watching the next day on viaplay and casting on to the telly, is there any alternative superior places to watch the games?

Thoroughly enjoyed the devils game today and after getting the jersey and playing ample NHL24 since Christmas I'm obsessed. 

Didn't think I'd ever be as enthusiastic over a new sport as I currently am. 

20231228_115518.jpg

On 22/12/2023 at 21:11, RuMoore said:

Who is everybody's chosen team?

I've been following New Jersey Devils after seeing them live and they seem to be either really good or really bad. 

Jack Hughes is the boi. 

Leafs. Because of family primarily, but also because they are a fucking badass brand.

Also, perhaps most importantly, they are appalling underachievers, and therefore fit nicely into my overall sports team selections.

I bought a nice wee bobble hat in New York.  I really can't wear it over here now. It has the badge on the front, which is fine, but all you can read on the back is Rangers, which isn't so good. 

Anyway, another nice win last night, will watch the highlights after the darts. Its a sport to watch in the flesh though, far too hard to follow on telly. Thankfully the replays explain it.

On 28/12/2023 at 12:50, RuMoore said:

I've come to the realisation I'll never be able to stay up til 12 to watch games live so settled for watching the next day on viaplay and casting on to the telly, is there any alternative superior places to watch the games?

Thoroughly enjoyed the devils game today and after getting the jersey and playing ample NHL24 since Christmas I'm obsessed. 

Didn't think I'd ever be as enthusiastic over a new sport as I currently am. 

I can just about keep up on YouTube via The Hockey Guy and Sportsnet.
My daily routine is usually to queue up…

The Hockey Guy daily preview

Each game highlights on Sportsnet

The Hockey Guy review

Then PHNX Coyotes for the coyotes podcast, but NJD will have their own one.

I’m pottering about the house while it’s on so don’t watch every second, but you get the drift on what is all happening.

Viaplay streaming which has all the games seems to be £15 a month which is just about worth it but haven’t got round to it yet.

Blue Jayz for me, I think we'll struggle to win the Grey Cup this year though...

Yup, family in Canada so I support their litany of failure and underachievement across the board. Opposite to Craig I follow the Seattle Seahawks in NFL.

I did see a game at Maple Leaf Garden late 80s where we got beat by the Blackhawks. A Christmas present from my late Uncle and I went with my late cousin, right after Christmas. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Blue Jayz for me, I think we'll struggle to win the Grey Cup this year though...

Yup, family in Canada so I support their litany of failure and underachievement across the board. Opposite to Craig I follow the Seattle Seahawks in NFL.

I did see a game at Maple Leaf Garden late 80s where we got beat by the Blackhawks. A Christmas present from my late Uncle and I went with my late cousin, right after Christmas. 

To be completely fair, at least Hogtown got to celebrate 2 World Series, 1 NBA Championship and an MLS Cup in living memory. It’s just the Leafs who are the real miserable fuckers.