The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Good appointment. Also means that the football and rugby league teams in Leeds both have someone called Brian McDermott in charge.

Also both the rugby and football clubs have a winger called Ryan Hall.

Bizarre.

Lets hope he has the same success as his rugby namesake has had.

Hence the reason i only buy the away top.

Saying that i bought the away top this year and got the home top for nothing.

Have to agree its awful.

My pal in yorkshire said it was like having go faster stripes on a car.

McCormack said on twitter he liked the home kit but the Keeper one is a shocker.

God knows what to expect if he likes that one!

From the OS:-

Board changes announced...

0,,10273~5940614,00.jpgLeeds legend Peter Lorimer has been appointed by owners GFH Capital as the first Football Ambassador to represent the club at community and commercial events, fans forums and in various other arenas.

Peter is also resigning from the Board, along with fellow director Yvonne Allen who will also remain as an employee of Leeds United.

At the same time GFH Capital has appointed Mr. Salah Nooruddin, a Bahraini based businessman to the Board of Leeds United. He will play a crucial role in bringing new investors on board as part of GFH Capital's strategy of building a successful and sustainable future for the club through a strong and committed shareholder base.

More Leeds greats will soon be appointed to the Ambassadors Panel which is a key part of GFH Capital's wide-ranging plans to strengthen still further the links between all sections of the club, its fanbase and commercial partners.

Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey said: "The Ambassadors will provide a link between the club's great past and its future and Peter's role in leading this Panel will be crucial. We believe the Ambassadors Panel will bring real benefits to the reputation of Leeds United as the club moves confidently into the future.

"Obviously Ambassadors will have no role in first team management matters which are solely the responsibility of Brian McDermott and the Board.

"I would also like, on behalf of everyone at Leeds United, to welcome Salah Nooruddin to the Board. And to thank both Peter and Yvonne for the service they have given us as Directors."

Salah Nooruddin said: "I am excited and proud to be joining the board of such a great football club. I share the vision of my fellow directors for its return club to a place in the top tiers of football

Went to the game yesterday and it was 11 V 14 as the officals gave brighton everything.

Not a dirty tackle the whole game but the ref manages to send off 3 players.

Worst set of officals i have seen in over 35 years of watching football.

And i have seen a lot bad officals in scotland but these 3 are even worse than our guys and that saying something.

Club announces its released list...

0,,10273~8747326,00.jpgThe club can confirm that 10 players will not be offered extensions to their Leeds United contracts upon expiry of their existing deals.

The players who are not being offered extensions are:
Leigh Bromby
Paul Connolly
Davide Somma
Paddy Kisnorbo
Paul Rachubka
Habib Habibou
Monty Gimpel
Sanchez Payne
Patrick Antelmi
Jordan Snodin

Leigh Bromby, who suffered a horrific knee injury at Cardiff 12 months ago and hasn't played this season, will remain with the club next term, working as a coach with the Academy.

The club will also continue to work closely with Davide Somma, another player who suffered a severe knee injury, on his rehab, and the South African international will have the opportunity to join in pre-season training with a view to assessing his fitness.

Paul Connolly, Paddy Kisnorbo, and Paul Rachubka have all been out on loan this season. Kisnorbo made 58 appearances for the club, and the Australian international was a key member of the team which won promotion from League One in 2009/10.

The club would like to thank all the players for their efforts and wish them the very best for the future.

Went to the game yesterday and it was 11 V 14 as the officals gave brighton everything.

Not a dirty tackle the whole game but the ref manages to send off 3 players.

Worst set of officals i have seen in over 35 years of watching football.

And i have seen a lot bad officals in scotland but these 3 are even worse than our guys and that saying something.

The style of football is much better under the new manager in my opinion, at times the stuff Colin served up was mind numbingly bad.

The jury is out on GFH for me so far, the saving grace for that lot is they'd have to work very hard to be as bad as the previous owner.

• 3 weeks later...
Eddie Gray receives accolade...

0,,10273~11953884,00.jpgElland Road legend Eddie Gray is to be inducted into the Hall of Fame at the National Football Museum.

Eddie, who is a member of the Leeds United Ambassador Panel and has served the club as a player, manager, and a coach, is to receive one of the highest honours in football when he will be inducted into the Hall of Fame at a prestigious award ceremony on 25 September 2013.

Matt Le Tissier, Cliff Jones, Mike Summerbee, Peter Schmeichel, and Ray Wilkins are the other former professionals being inducted along with Sheila Parker, who played for Chorley Ladies Football Club and is the club's longest serving player, and the late Jack Taylor, the first Englishman to referee a World Cup Final (1974) and first referee to take a place in the Hall of Fame.

They will join a host of other famous football faces like Sir Alex Ferguson, lan Ball, Gordon Banks, Cliff Bastin, Jimmy Greaves and Sir Tom Finney, whose achievements are already celebrated with a place on the honour roll.

Inductees have been chosen by a panel featuring some of the biggest names in football including, the Museum's President Sir Bobby Charlton, Vice President Sir Alex Ferguson, Gordon Taylor and Mark Lawrenson. They must have finished their playing career or be aged over 30 and have played or managed in England for at least five years to qualify for Hall of Fame nomination.

Eddie said: "I'm delighted. It's 50 years ago that I first came to Leeds United and everything I achieved is down to the club.

"This is a real honour, not just for me personally, but for the club itself and for the team that I played in.

"You look at so many of the greats who have been inducted and I am thoroughly delighted."

The eight football legends will have their achievements celebrated at a charity fundraising Hall of Fame induction celebration at the National Football Museum in Manchester on 25 September.

National Football Museum Director Kevin Moore said: "We are delighted to be able to recognise the achievements of these legendary players in this way. We really hope they can all attend the induction dinner in September and we'd love to see fans come along too - it's a rare chance to be close to some of the biggest players in football history."

Members of the public can buy tickets to attend the exclusive event in September by emailing halloffame@nationalfootballmuseum.com. Information about ticket prices and sponsorship packages can be found online at www.nationalfootballmuseum.com

The National Football Museum provides a world-class home for the greatest collection of football memorabilia ever assembled, in addition to housing its nationally-recognised Hall of Fame in Manchester.

More than 140,000 objects, works of art and photographs make up this unique collection and highlights include a shirt from the world's first international match played in 1872, the 1966 World Cup Final ball and the shirt worn by Maradona during the infamous 1986 'Hand of God' quarter final match between England and Argentina.

Admission is free of charge but, as the museum is a registered charity, it relies on donations from the public and support from the corporate sector to stay open.

Another legend of Man utd and Leeds leaves the stage at a very young age:-

Our condolences are offered...

0,,10273~11956715,00.jpg

The club was saddened to learn of the passing of our former player Brian Greenhoff on Wednesday morning.

Brian passed away at his Rochdale home at the age of 60.

A former England international, Brian was primarily a central defender who also operated in midfield.

Barnsley-born Brian spent six years at Manchester United before moving back across the Pennines to Elland Road in 1979 after he was signed by Jimmy Adamson for £350,000.

Brian made 78 appearances for the club, switching mainly between full-back and midfield, and his only goal came in a 1-0 win against Nottingham Forest at Elland Road in December 1980.

On leaving United, Brian headed to Hong Kong before returning to play and coach with Rochdale.

Brian's family issued a statement on Wednesday, which read: "We regret to inform of Brian's passing this morning, Wednesday 22nd May at the age of 60 years old.

"Brian was a proud and much loved brother, husband of Maureen, father of Paul, Brian and Peter, grandfather to Jack, James and Harry and will be sorely missed by his family, who he made very proud in his distinguished life and career."

Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

• 3 weeks later...
United manager delighted with his first signing...

0,,10273~11999438,00.jpgUnited boss Brian McDermott was delighted to capture the signature of striker Matt Smith.

The 24-year-old joins from Oldham Athletic on July 1 after finalising a deal on Monday morning to become the manager's first signing.

"I'm really pleased," said the boss.

"I've known him for a little while. He's come on to the scene in a short space of time, and I like his background, the way he's been brought up, he's done his studying, he went to Oldham, he's played against some big sides and done very, very well.

"He got Player of the Month in April and he's a good acquisition for our squad."

The boss has an impressive success rate with developing talent from lower divisions, Dave Kitson and Adam Le Fondre being two strikers to take their careers on to the next level following his recruitment.

"Matt's from a league below and we're looking for someone with potential, who can be better, can play in the team, and who the fans can take to," said the boss.

"I've got a really good vibe about him. He's not here to sit around and do nothing, he's hungry to do well and achieve. I said we want hungry players to come into the club. They're the players were talking to; players who want to achieve something. There'll be no players coming here who don't have that."

At six foot six, Matt brings added height to the squad.

"It's a major asset, but it doesn't mean to say we'll be smashing long balls in," said the boss.

"He can take it in, hold it up, you saw his goal against Everton from a set-play. His movement is good. He's a work in progress, but he's not an 18-year-old work in progress. He's done well in games and we feel he is a good asset."

The boss also believes the striker's early grounding of a life away from football will stand him in good stead as he looks to develop his career at Elland Road.

"He knows the other side of life," he said. "He's worked in different places and seen different things. It's very similar to Dave Kitson who we signed at Reading from Cambridge United. He'd worked in a different part of life before football.

"When I spoke to Matt - and it's very important to speak with players before you sign them - and looked into his eyes, you could see that when he comes into training every day he appreciates the environment he's in and what he does for a living."

United vice-chairman Salah Nooruddin was also quick to welcome Matt to Elland Road and he added: "We're delighted that Matt has agreed to join us and we look forward to him joining us formally on July 1."

Just to say the Leeds United team of say 1968 to 1973 was one of the best club sides Britain ever produced.

Bremner,Lorimer,Gray E,Gray F,Jordan.McQueen,Harvey

Clarke,Jones,Charlton J,Hunter,Reaney,Cooper,Cherry

Giles

Sprake,Yorath

• 2 weeks later...

And another one moved for sky:-

United's home match against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday August 17 will now be televised.

The match against Sheffield Wednesday will remain on Saturday August 17 but will now be an early kick off, 12:15pm.

The game against the Owls has been chosen to be screened live on Sky Sports.