The Leeds Thread

Guest The Ger

Not the cull a lot of fans were expecting:-

Leeds United squad plans 2010/11...

The following professional players who are out of contract at Elland Road will not to be offered new deals with the Championship club, Casper Ankergren, Rui Marques and Andrew Milne.

The club will offer a new contract to Andrew Hughes and the previous offer made to Jermaine Beckford remains available to him, but he is expected to move on to a Premier League club.

In addition, Alan Sheehan, Lubomir Michalik, Andy Robinson and Tresor Kandol have all been informed that they should actively seek to find a new club for the 2010/11 season even though they are still under contract.

Further players may be available once the club has signed new players for the first season back in the Championship. Second-year apprentices, Mike Whitwell, Ryan Jones, Sam Jones, Callum Williams and Adam Watson will not be offered professional contracts.

Manager Simon Grayson said "It is the hardest part of a Manager's job, informing players who have contributed to a successful season that you are not going to offer them a new contract. In all the cases those that have been allowed to leave have been a joy and pleasure to work with on a day-to-day basis. I feel certain they will find another club who will be lucky to have them.

"The club needs to move forward and these decisions, as hard as they were, had to be made in that interest, so the recruitment of new players can now start to form our squad for the Championship campaign.

"Over the summer months we will also be looking to extend the term of a number of the existing players contracts and also make a decision on those players who have now returned to their clubs, having been on loan, which will also be made in the context of our squad next season"

Taken from the OS:-

The downloadable re-release of Leeds, Leeds, Leeds (Marching On Together) is at number SEVEN in the midweek chart.

The track, digitally re-mastered, was available to download from Sunday and fans have been downloading the anthem in their 1000s.

It's estimated that it is only around 4,000 downloads off a top three placing in the midweek chart.

While the midweek chart is an indicator, it is next Sunday's Top 40 that counts and it's hoped that Leeds, Leeds, Leeds (Marching On Together) will make the Top 10 at the very least.

Fans wishing to download more than once are advised to do so from different sites this week.

The track is available for just 79p from iTunes here, from Amazon here, play.com here, Tesco.com here, or Napster here. The track can also be bought from eMusic (subscription required) here.

The track is also available at 7digital.com here and HMV here.

The re-release, which has the full support of original creator Les Reed, was masterminded by lifelong Leeds fans Ian De Whytell, Kevin Smith, and Dave Whittaker.

• 2 weeks later...

1st signing is goalkeeper :-

0,,10273%7E8818444,00.jpg Goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel is Leeds United's first signing of the summer.

The 23-year-old Dane joins the club from League Two champions Notts County where he kept 24 clean sheets and was named PFA League Two Player of the Year as the Magpies romped to the title.

The highly-rated keeper has signed a two-year contract at Elland Road and manager Simon Grayson said: "After releasing Casper Ankergren, we wanted to bring another goalkeeper in, and Kasper has had an excellent season at Notts County.

"There were a lot of Premier League clubs interested in him, but he wanted to come here.

"He's got a fantastic ability, he's a winner, and he is determined to take this club forward.

"He has some fantastic qualities and he will provide us with good competition for places which is what we want."

The Danish under-21 international's signing was seen as a real coup for Notts County at the start of last season after the player learnt his trade at Manchester City.

OUR SMS SUBSCRIBERS RECEIVE ALL THE TRANSFER NEWS AS IT HAPPENS

Schmeichel, who made his Premier League debut in 2007, made 10 appearances for Man City, and also gained experience with loan spells at Darlington, Bury, Falkirk, Cardiff City and Coventry City.

Despite his young age, Schmeichel has already made over 140 career appearances.

Enjoy the carthorse that is Billy Paynter. Been terrible for Swindon except this season. He is still a donkey, glad to see him leave as his bad days far out number his good. Hope you have some better strikers lined up as he is shit.

F*ck off Paynter, overweight donkey.

Just checked the OS and its announced his signing, not sure this is the type of striker we should be signing:-

According to the OS :-

United agree three-year deal with

Swindon Town striker Billy Paynter will join Leeds United on July 1.

The 26-year-old, who fired Swindon to the League One play off final last season, was one of the most prolific marksmen in League One having netted 29 goals last season, four of them coming against ourselves.

Paynter's arrival at Elland Road will add further strength to the firepower at Simon Grayson's disposal and the manager was delighted to complete the signing of the player on a three-year contract.

The boss said: "He proved his worth last season, scoring four goals against us in two games. He has matured as a player over the last couple of years and he had a fantastic season last season.

"He works ever so hard, holds the ball up well and he has proved he knows where the back of the net is.

When we knew he was available we were desperate to get him. We feel he will be a good acquisition for the club and I am delighted to have got him," he added.

But the United manager was quick to point out that Paynter was not a Beckford. "I've said before that whenever we sign a striker, people will link him to Jermaine but he is not Jermaine Beckford he is Billy Paynter.

"He has got a different style about him and he will do the things that brought him success last year. Jermaine has his strengths and weaknesses and Billy will have as well. There will be comparison and Jermaine Beckford was something different at times. But some of Billy's strengths were better than Jermaine's and maybe some of Jermaine's strengths were better than Billy's. That's why you can't really compare people," added the United manager.

Grayson said that United fans would hardly need reminding what he did to Leeds last season. "He was a constant threat to us, and not just because of the goals he scored against us but in terms of his hold up play, his work rate and movement. He caused us a lot of problems. We have gone out to get a player we think will positively affect us," he added.

Elland Road will be the sixth stopping point for Paynter in a career that has taken in Port Vale, Hull, Southend United, Bradford City, and Swindon. In 280 career league starts he has scored 88 goals and Leeds have pipped a number of clubs to his signature.

"He has come to a big club and he can't wait to get started. He will want to prove to himself that he can play for Leeds and adapt to the Championship," Grayson added.

Liverpool-born Paynter began his career with Port Vale and when he made his debut for them in May 2001 he was, at 16 years and 294 days of age, the youngest player in 20 years to play for the club.

If this is the sort of ambition Leeds United have then their relegation from the Championship will be solidified before the season has even began.

Their signings so far have been laughable. Long may that continue.

Enjoy the carthorse that is Billy Paynter. Been terrible for Swindon except this season. He is still a donkey, glad to see him leave as his bad days far out number his good. Hope you have some better strikers lined up as he is shit.

*I was out drinking all night after hearing our best striker has signed for Leeds, and am now pretending i'm not bothered*

If this is the sort of ambition Leeds United have then their relegation from the Championship will be solidified before the season has even began.

Their signings so far have been laughable. Long may that continue.

Have Cardiff lost Joe Ledley to the SPL yet?

I look forward to the demise of Cardiff City, a vile, insignificant little club, in the near future. :)

Edited by we are perth

Have Cardiff lost Joe Ledley to the SPL yet?

I look forward to the demise of Cardiff City, a vile, insignificant little club, in the near future. :)

Yes, I look forward to the splash spending by Yorkshire's most significant club and I won't think relegation looms in the not so distant future.

edit to add :lol: That'll :lol: Be :lol: Fucking :lol: Right :lol:

Edited by C*nt

CONNOLLY RELISHES HIS NEW CHALLENGE

New signing Paul Connolly is relishing the opportunity to play his part in Leeds United's push for the Premier League following his arrival on Thursday.

The 26-year-old put the finishing touches to his move to the club at Thorp Arch and, despite interest from elsewhere, he has signed a three-year deal following his switch from Derby.

"I heard about the interest a while ago," he said.

"I followed Leeds' fortunes last season and was obviously hoping the club would get to the Championship.

"I had a year left at Derby and I had to sort my situation there first, but it's great to finally get here. I know I start here on July 1 now and I'm really looking forward to it.

"There were others, but Leeds gave me a concrete offer. I spoke to the gaffer while I was on holiday, and we had a long chat.

"He didn't have to sell the club - you don't have to sell Leeds - he said he wanted me, and he seems like he will be a really good guy to work with.

"I know I'm competing with other players who have played right-back, and I'm looking forward to it."

Connolly arrives at Elland Road on the back of a frustrating season at Pride Park. Having been a regular in 2008/09 he found opportunties more limited last term, and ended the season on loan at Sheffield United.

"I played a lot of games the season before and I don't know what's gone on really," he explained.

"I fell out of favour, I've hardly been spoken to, and I went to Sheffield United on loan and enjoyed it.

"It was a season I want to forget. This is a fresh challenge. I've got my driving ambition back and I know what I want to achieve in my career.

"I can't wait to express myself. I'm not going to dribble past 11 players and chip it in the top corner, but I'll do my basics right, get in a tackle, push forward, and look to deliver good crosses."

The defender is also more than confident that Leeds can make an impression on the Championship next season.

"I'm sure we can do well here," he said.

"Bristol City and Leicester both made the Play-Offs after coming up, and I think we will do well.

"We have players here who shouldn't have been in League One and there's a lot of quality.

"There's nothing to be scared of. Look at Blackpool last season. You need a good start and if we can get that the fans will be right behind us.

"I think they appreciate hard work here which is what it's all about."

At least you're not bitter.

Taken from the OS:-

Leeds United have been paired with Lincoln City in the first round of the Carling Cup.

The Imps will visit Elland Road during the week commencing Monday August 9 2010.

Chris Sutton's Lincoln side finished fifth from bottom of League Two last season after the goalscoring exploits of striker Davide Somma, on loan from Elland Road, helped keep them clear of the relegation zone.

It will be the first time Lincoln have visited Elland Road since 1961. On that occasion, Leeds won the second division fixture 7-0. Lincoln's last success at Elland Road was a 3-2 win in 1954.

The two clubs last met in a pre-season friendly in the early 1990s when Howard Wilkinson was United manager.

Ticket information for this game will be available in due course.