Hillwalking Thread

I did a route from Blair Atholl to Kingnussie which involved a one night stop at the head of Glen Bruar after climbing Beinn Dearg I think it was. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the pass we crossed. Awesome walk! We were wading through thigh deep snow on the second day which delayed us by about 6 hours! Met the mountain rescue advance party out looking for us just as we got into Kingnussie! Our driver had got a little worried.

Nothing better than a wild camp :D

Sounds like Minigaig? I attempted that a few weeks ago but failed :(

Lost compass on first day but thought I'd be fine with compass on phone and a well defined path. Unfortunately the phone compass was exceedingly shitty and the path was non-existent in places. Started ascending A Choich instead of Leathad an Thobhain and by time I realised my error, had lost two hours and had a second steep ascent ahead of me. Took the safe/pussy option and retreated.

Midgies. Grrrr.

Will do it, probably next year, by leaving Blair Atholl instead of Kingussie.

Catching the train to Fort Bill in the morning to start the Great Glen Way. This means I will miss Accies' game against Livi unfortunately, but it does mean that luckily, I will miss all the Livi postings about suave in the pre-game thread.

How did you get on? I really enjoyed the Great Glen Way, beautiful views of Loch Ness and hope you did the signposted extra ascent for the viewpoint.

My mate and I did it across four days - Fort Billy to Laggan Locks, then to Fort Augustus (short day), then to Drumnadrochit, then final stint into Inverness. If I'd seen this earlier, I'd have given you one tip - stock up on food when leaving Fort William as there is genuinely no shops or cafes for the first 30 miles or so unless you manage to get something at the floating bar at the Locks.

If there was one negative, there was quite a bit of road walking, think it was in between Invermoriston and Drumnadrochit.

How did you get on? I really enjoyed the Great Glen Way, beautiful views of Loch Ness and hope you did the signposted extra ascent for the viewpoint.

My mate and I did it across four days - Fort Billy to Laggan Locks, then to Fort Augustus (short day), then to Drumnadrochit, then final stint into Inverness. If I'd seen this earlier, I'd have given you one tip - stock up on food when leaving Fort William as there is genuinely no shops or cafes for the first 30 miles or so unless you manage to get something at the floating bar at the Locks.

If there was one negative, there was quite a bit of road walking, think it was in between Invermoriston and Drumnadrochit.

Not a particularly difficult walk, but seemed to be more pine plantations than I particularly like with the resultant stony land rover tracks pounding your feet. We did it over 6 days based around wherever my friend had booked a b&b for him and his wife. Will possibly be updating my post in the top 5 places to live to include Fort Augustus. Cracking town.

Did Ben Vane a couple of weekends ago, although completely missed that start of the trail up the South East Ridge. By the time we realised, we were right along the south side at the foot of Ben Ime, so rather than re-trace our steps to go up the trail we decided to just go straight up the South Face. My god that was a thigh killer!

It did it as 4, 20 mile days so it was a really long slog (I atually got lost in a forest and took the wrong route and ended u walking at least 25 miles first day). The first 2 days were fairly boring but it got better in the latter half.

It's a let down compared to West Highland Way and Great Glen Way. Definitely wouldn't bother doing any part of it again.

It did it as 4, 20 mile days so it was a really long slog (I atually got lost in a forest and took the wrong route and ended u walking at least 25 miles first day). The first 2 days were fairly boring but it got better in the latter half.

It's a let down compared to West Highland Way and Great Glen Way. Definitely wouldn't bother doing any part of it again.

Cheers, myself and a colleague were entertaining doing it. Probably best to do the WHW?

WHW is easily the best supported walk in Scotland. Generally, you can find a pub for just about every lunch/dinner time :)

Tbh, the best support you can have on a distance walk is baggage transfer, even if it's just as a back up plan. On Great Glen Way, my mate was close to packing it in halfway and only made it because we started using transfers to get our backpacks and tents to the next stops. I asked the company that the Speyside Way website points you to and was quoted £100 for a four day stint. Na. Same on Rob Roy Way.

Yeah, a few of my mates got their bags transfered last day of the Great Glen also. £15 a bag. Last time I did the WHW think it was about £50 for the complete route.

edit to add: I took advantage of this by sticking my tent into one of the bags and lightening my load by about 3kg (2.5kg of tent, 0.5 kg of wet).

Edited by weebitextreme

Completed the Trossachs plod yesterday. 50k starting at Aberfoyle, couple loops through the forests, up round Finglas, round Loch Venachar then back to Aberfoyle.

Started at midnight and rained pretty much the whole time. First big walk I've done and I think I've caught the bug.

• 1 month later...

Ben Lomond yesterday. Ptarmigan ridge for ascent and tourist route down. 70mph gusts and rain stinging the eyes but the most frightening thing was seeing about 50 youths on some charity outing, some of them wearing tracky bottoms, some of them wearing plimsolls. Deary me.

Ben Lomond yesterday. Ptarmigan ridge for ascent and tourist route down. 70mph gusts and rain stinging the eyes but the most frightening thing was seeing about 50 youths on some charity outing, some of them wearing tracky bottoms, some of them wearing plimsolls. Deary me.

I`ve not been on the tops in ages now, the weather is just always too pish. Roll on winter...

• 3 months later...

Aimed to get started yesterday by nipping up to Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn one). Lovely day having a good time, quite a few folk around and a bit of snow underfoot (crampons not needed). Got to 100m (height) from top with the Ordnance Survey trig point in sight and had to turn back. Weather had said there would be 80mph gusts and wasn't till you were near the top that you became exposed to it. Got blown 2m sideways and with a steep fall up ahead if the same thing happened, just wasn't worth the risk. Gutted.

Going to go back in April and do Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin behind it and come back down Ben Our.

I'll be back Ben. You ain't heard the last of this.

Edited by oht

Aimed to get started yesterday by nipping up to Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn one). Lovely day having a good time, quite a few folk around and a bit of snow underfoot (crampons not needed). Got to 100m (height) from top with the Ordnance Survey trig point in sight and hard to turn back. Weather had said there would be 80mph gusts and wasn't till you were near the top that you became exposed to it. Got blown 2m sideways and with a steep fall up ahead if the same thing happened, just wasn't worth the risk. Gutted.

Going to go back in April and do Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin behind it and come back down Ben Our.

I'll be back Ben. You ain't heard the last of this.

We did Vorlich around that time last year and intended to do what you are going to. But it was a nice day so we just decided to chill at the summit and enjoy the view. Peanut butter sandwiches, a flask of tomato soup and twenty Camel. Bliss. :P

• 1 month later...

A couple of days on the hill recently. Two weeks ago was up Garbh Bhienn in Ardgour in t-shirt & shorts on a stunning day, sunbathing on the summit after a super scramble up. Brilliant hill, would thoroughly recommend.

Yesterday it was back to winter up on the Blackmount. Up Meall a`Bhuraidh from the ski centre, then along the narrow ridge to Creise. Ice-axe required, but the crampons remained in the sack. Very clear, if a bit grey, managed to pick out the Cuillin on Skye, Rum, Mull, Jura & Arran. Fantastic stuff.