Hillwalking Thread

What a great day! Good drive and banter, great walk, and the summit was clear and dry enough to go through the needle and up onto the true summit.

I must admit, when I was on the true summit I didn't have any great desire to stay there - I just wanted to get back down as soon as possible! :lol:

For anyone who's interested, this is an absolutely tremendous site showing computer-generated imagery of what you can see from the top of various hills. Good to print out and take with you so you know exactly what you're looking at :)

• 2 months later...

Well, now that the snow seems to have gone from the south of the country at least...

Yesterday took a work colleague and her father up a Corbett - Cairnsmore of Carsphairn. My last visit to this one was in thick cloud and had a wide, deep-ish unbridged river to cross.

All different this time - the river now has big pipes for the water and gravel heaped over them so no more wading. Also signs of a small wooden bridge waiting to be built over the stream below the summit.

Great views of Corserine (and the whole Rhinns of Kells ridge), Merrick, Ailsa Craig and Windy Standard. Small heap of snow near the trig point!

We returned over Black Shoulder and Dunool before re-gaining the track, just to change the scenery a wee bit.

The return to the hills starts here.

Edited by AyrshireTon

Was up on Schiehallion three weeks ago. Cracking little munro, only a couple of hours from Edinburgh.

Didn't bother with crampons. I don't think winter gear is needed now for a lot of the hills, though you're probably better off having it if you're doing a ridge or something with a steep drop.

Well, now that the snow seems to have gone from the south of the country at least...

Yesterday took a work colleague and her father up a Corbett - Cairnsmore of Carsphairn. My last visit to this one was in thick cloud and had a wide, deep-ish unbridged river to cross.

All different this time - the river now has big pipes for the water and gravel heaped over them so no more wading. Also signs of a small wooden bridge waiting to be built over the stream below the summit.

Great views of Corserine (and the whole Rhinns of Kells ridge), Merrick, Ailsa Craig and Windy Standard. Small heap of snow near the trig point!

We returned over Black Shoulder and Dunool before re-gaining the track, just to change the scenery a wee bit.

The return to the hills starts here.

Is it a good walk? I keep meaning to go there as it's close enough to make it a half day job. I like that part of Scotland a lot, it tends to get overlooked by people.

How would you rate it from a novice point of view? I'm used to traipsing about the hills chasing deer with a fair bit of kit but would it be too much for moderately fit office-types?

I just checked the site and the route is actually slightly different to the one I thought. I thought they went from Ardlui to Fort William, but they go from 8 miles north of Ardlui to 8 Miles north of Fort William. Bascially the same thing though (and I've done the additional bit as part of the Great Glen Way). They also walk it north to south, which is a bit weird.

It is physically and mentally challenging, but there was never any point where I was in danger of not making it. I think anyone with a reasonable level of fitness could do it, as long as they did some sort of training. I think 4 or 5 long days hillwalking would be sufficient preperation as long as they are already in ok shape. Staying injury free is probably the biggest concern.

My best bit of advice would be to do it in trainers, whatever the weather. That way you're much less likely to get blisters. Also, cover the ball and heels of your foot with compeed blister packs before you start walking.

In short, yes, if semi fit people have a decent mental toughness and make sure they are wearing the right things then yes, it shouldn't be too difficult to complete.

Cheers guys, sound advice. It's been knocked about at work but concerns have been raised with the total lack of preparation and support as it wouldn't be on the official weekend we would do it.

I think something a little less challenging might be in order.

How would you rate it from a novice point of view? I'm used to traipsing about the hills chasing deer with a fair bit of kit but would it be too much for moderately fit office-types?

My mates girlfriend did it last year and said it was pure hell. The final bit between Tyndrum and Crianlarich she was totally spent. Great organisation, food laid on, first aid, etc.

Is it a good walk? I keep meaning to go there as it's close enough to make it a half day job. I like that part of Scotland a lot, it tends to get overlooked by people.

Decent enough - and no navigation whatsoever.

Follow the track from the farm to the wall, then follow the wall.

Really need to get back into this.

Started last year and did 13 Munros in not too many months... but not been out since about October last year.

Hopefully weekend after next is decent weather.

Caledonian challenge - the person you get to support can make all the difference. Our guy would have beans and sausage rolls waiting for us, whereas a mate's support was awful - his team split in two (try not to let that happen) so she supported the first group and did nothing for the second.

If you're moderately fit, I think you'd be fine but it's the mental side of things that's tougher - the sheer mind-numbingness, particularly during the overnight period, can be a killer.

Tape your feet up with the white fabric-y tape climbers use, it'll make all the difference is keeping the blisters away.

Changing topic, anyone done the Speyside Way? Done Great Glen and most of West Highland so me and my mate looking for another trek.

Edited by oht

Really need to get back into this.

Started last year and did 13 Munros in not too many months... but not been out since about October last year.

Hopefully weekend after next is decent weather.

Who do you normally go with?

Decent enough - and no navigation whatsoever.

Follow the track from the farm to the wall, then follow the wall.

Missed your reply mate. Cheers.

Supposed to be going somewhere next weekend and we might go there. Map and compass job then!

Who do you normally go with?

Got a couple of mates who I've been out with.

And my Girlfriend, who I did most of my walking with last year. But she has kinda lost the bug a bit.

Thinking of going out Saturday, unless the weather is attrocious.

The weather really has been pish for getting out on the hills compared to this time last year. Had an epic on Ben Lui a couple of weeks back. Fine & clear with stuning views to the west, then all of a sudden pure whiteout! Loads of snow, navigation was tough & also sections of downclimbing in crampons & some nifty use of the ice-axe!

Was in Kintail last weekend, but cloud well down, so just stuck to the mountain bike.

I was out on Sunday. Weather was great until we got up onto the tops and then it was horrendous - strong winds, hail, snow etc.

We did Dreish, at the top of Glen Clova/Glen Doll. We were going to do Mayar as well but the weather closed in. We had a young lad from The Maldives with us on his first ever hillwalk, so thought it would be safer to just head back down. One of the easier Munros I've done - path pretty much all the way and only a short walk.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely fantastic day up Ben Macdui & outliers yesterday. Cycled as far as Derry Lodge from Linn of Dee, then up and over Derry Cairngorm, round Loch Etachan & up onto Ben Macdui itself, then returning over Carn a` Mhaim. Over 8 & 1/2 hours, nearly sunburnt & a dip in the river to finish off with, superb!

Edited by Desert Nomad