Hillwalking Thread

Pub argument during the quiz yesterday.

"What is the highest point in Ayrshire?"

A few different answers, rattles oot prams.

Depends if you count Arran as part of Ayrshire doesn't it seeing as it's covered by North Ayrshire council? Had I had that question then I reckon I would have gone for Goat Fell. ;)

My real pet hate are questions like these in pub quizzes. We had one not too long ago about 'in which Scottish county would you find Prestwick Airport?'. Define county in Scotland futha mucka. When you look at the English county system then the closest thing we have are regions (Strathclyde, Grampian etc) but other folk (particularly English quiz masters up here) seem to think that council areas are counties.

For example, there's no way you could look at, say East Renfrewshire or 'City of Aberdeen' in the same definition as Cornwall or Cumbria.

P.S. their answer for the Prestwick one was 'South Ayrshire' but under a county equivalent I reckon it should have been Strathclyde :angry:

(Cue the usual 'Strathclyde' doesn't exist bullshit even though you still have Strathclyde Police, Strathclyde Fire & Rescue etc...)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Is that a decent walk? It's one that is pretty close to Ayr and it's one we have consistently managed to miss out walking. Havent been out all winter but we will do an overnighter in the lost valley Glencoe to start the year off. It will be a good laugh if nothing else.

Yes - follow the path at the farm (at the Green Well) until it runs into a wall - follow the wall to the summit. Wide unbridged river at the start (actually, the bridge is broken and you need to wade with good gaiters on ) and a river to jump just after the wall turns towards the final haul.

Broken bridge.

post-448-12704824864966_thumb.jpg

Pub argument during the quiz yesterday.

"What is the highest point in Ayrshire?"

A few different answers, rattles oot prams.

Mainland or Arran included?

Shalloch on Minnoch - it is technically in South Ayrshire.

300m SE of the trig point.

Whole of Ayrshire - Goatfell, probably.

Depends if you count Arran as part of Ayrshire doesn't it seeing as it's covered by North Ayrshire council? Had I had that question then I reckon I would have gone for Goat Fell. ;)

My real pet hate are questions like these in pub quizzes. We had one not too long ago about 'in which Scottish county would you find Prestwick Airport?'. Define county in Scotland futha mucka. When you look at the English county system then the closest thing we have are regions (Strathclyde, Grampian etc) but other folk (particularly English quiz masters up here) seem to think that council areas are counties.

For example, there's no way you could look at, say East Renfrewshire or 'City of Aberdeen' in the same definition as Cornwall or Cumbria.

P.S. their answer for the Prestwick one was 'South Ayrshire' but under a county equivalent I reckon it should have been Strathclyde :angry:

(Cue the usual 'Strathclyde' doesn't exist bullshit even though you still have Strathclyde Police, Strathclyde Fire & Rescue etc...)

Ayrshire is a county. It's divvied up for council admin reasons because it is massive. The county itself still has a Lord Lieutenant as do all the other old counties of Scotland.

Yes - follow the path at the farm (at the Green Well) until it runs into a wall - follow the wall to the summit. Wide unbridged river at the start (actually, the bridge is broken and you need to wade with good gaiters on ) and a river to jump just after the wall turns towards the final haul.

Broken bridge.

post-448-12704824864966_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that. It will be getting done this year at some point then.

Ayrshire is a county. It's divvied up for council admin reasons because it is massive. The county itself still has a Lord Lieutenant as do all the other old counties of Scotland.

Fair enough, my main quarrel was with them having South Ayrshire as a county when it's nothing but a council area, even if it was formerly Kyle and Carrick.

Back on topic, I took a few friends up Ben Chonzie last weekend for their first munroe of the year. With just the right amount of snow it was actually quite interesting with the round route full of mountain hares as usual. Good weather apart from the horizontal hailstones on the summit.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Fair enough, my main quarrel was with them having South Ayrshire as a county when it's nothing but a council area, even if it was formerly Kyle and Carrick.

Back on topic, I took a few friends up Ben Chonzie last weekend for their first munroe of the year. With just the right amount of snow it was actually quite interesting with the round route full of mountain hares as usual. Good weather apart from the horizontal hailstones on the summit.

Yeah. Even the parliamentary constituency of Ayr excludes half of the town for some mystery reason.

Even the parliamentary constituency of Ayr excludes half of the town for some mystery reason.

I think it was to ditch Kincaidston's Labour voters. Anyway, we have went off on a tangerine. Goat Fell looks like my next jaunt. I'd love to get up there on one of those crystal clear mornings.

I think it was to ditch Kincaidston's Labour voters. Anyway, we have went off on a tangerine. Goat Fell looks like my next jaunt. I'd love to get up there on one of those crystal clear mornings.

More likely to be ditching Alloway and south of the rivers Tories. <_<

Goat Fell can be awesome if you get a view from the top.

Mainland or Arran included?

Shalloch on Minnoch - it is technically in South Ayrshire.

300m SE of the trig point.

Whole of Ayrshire - Goatfell, probably.

Right, just went through my emails, you wouldn't believe it, they're still going on about it.

The question was "Highest in Ayrshire". Ayrshire includes Arran, people who live there pay council tax to North Ayrshire Council. The answer on my print out sheet was Goat Fell, and that's the answer I was looking for. I've now had a link sent "Ayrshire Birding" which says the highest point is Shalloch on Minnoch. Whether they are ignoring Arran or not, I do not know. Whit a palaver.

I arranged weeks ago to walking around Arrochar this weekend and I woke up this morning with a cold. sad.gif

I've been cycling to work in driving rain, sleet and snow over the past few months and yet I get a cold after the first summers day! laugh.gif

Get up the hills you pussy. :P

mad.gif Where's you're support for a fellow male who might develop full-blown manflu? :lol:

Nah, seriously, I'll still go regardless of my cold, it's just sod's law that I caught it this week as my girlfriend's dad is coming too and he's like a whippet up the hills (he's ex-Infantry).

That's a good boy! :lol:

The worst hillwalk of my entire life was trying to walk Ben Ledi with a fully blown cold. It was actually horrible.

Hello, first post on this thread. Me and the missus conquered Mount Kosciuszko last Friday. This is Australia's highest mountain, standing at 2,228 metres (7,310 ft) above sea level. Not as difficult as it sounds as it's a boardwalk for most of the way.

post-101-12711599999109_thumb.jpg post-101-12711600034286_thumb.jpg post-101-12711600063793_thumb.jpg

Edited by Swarley

Climbed the Corbett Beinn Chuirn yesterday (Ben Lui's wee brother). Uses the same approach road as Lui - through Cononish. Quite a steep ascent once you leave the path, and the Allt Eas Anie (which creates the impressive waterfall) has to be crossed higher up, but this is not too difficult.

post-448-12714087947771_thumb.jpg

Beinn Chuirn from the Cononish road. Ben Lui is just visible on the far left.

post-448-12714088082491_thumb.jpg

Me at the summit.

Went up Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh yesterday making my first two munroes. Managed it in 5 hours or so which I was quite content with. Very enjoyable with excellent views from the latter.

That's a very decent time.

If you're up that neck of the woods again, stop off at the Green Welly stop in Tyndrum for a pizza. It's by far the best pizza I've ever tasted.

Thinking of doing the Ben Lawers range in the next couple of weeks, and as far as i can make out from various sources, the recommended start point is near Lawers hotel, starting from the Meall Greigh side. Can anybody tell me if there's any good spots to leave a car near the Lawers hotel?

Thinking of doing the Ben Lawers range in the next couple of weeks, and as far as i can make out from various sources, the recommended start point is near Lawers hotel, starting from the Meall Greigh side. Can anybody tell me if there's any good spots to leave a car near the Lawers hotel?

when i did ben lawers i'm sure there was a car park quite high up, although i think it was on the other side from the hotel. not of much help but it's a start.

p.s. i was suffering from terminal summit fever at the time so things are a little hazy.