Hillwalking Thread

Not long in from climbing Glas Tulaichean near Spittal of Glenshee. It's awfully far from Ayrshire, but one of the more straightforward Munros due to it being pathed with a landrover track almost the whole way.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went back to Glen Lochay and did Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich. This was probably my hardest hill day yet. These are two very remote and unforgiving hills. Steep ascents & decents with paths only on the ridges. Oh, and an hour along the track before even starting to climb - 8 and a half hours from car and back.

Good day out though. :)

Belter of a day up the Cobbler & Beinn Ime yesterday, well worth missing a 1-1 with Kilmarnock for! Didn`t set off from Arrochar until 1pm, due to previous nights beverages round the camp fire, & only intended going up the Cobbler, but weather was so great, decided on Beinn Ime as well. Threaded the eye of the needle at the top of the Cobbler, much to the amazement of some of the other hikers at the summit, it`s not that difficult! Didn`t get home until after 10pm, but well worth it for views stretching from Ben Nevis, out to Mull, Jura, Islay, Arran, Ailsa Craig, Glasgow & Stirling.

I was up at Newtonmore last Thursday to Saturday, two days of walking, 7 Munros in total, brilliant stuff. the last Munro of the day saw me finally reach 100. :D Walk reports shortly on airdrierambler.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Another fine weekend saw me head to Skye & climbed Sgurr nan Gillean via the SE ridge. Superb stuff, great exposure when scrambling up the final ridge to the tiniest little summit. Great viewpoint to sit and sunbathe on with climbers appearing up various routes. That`s two weekends in a row I`ve sacrificed the football for the hills, & don`t regret it one bit!

Not read the full thread so i dont know if this had been mentioned alot but has anyone done the 3 peaks (snowdon, ben nevis, scaffel pike) in 24 hours??

Ive climbed all 3 but not in 24 hours but would like to try it some day. Anyone got some stories about it?

Went up to Glenshee today. Was at the summmit of The Cairnwell 30 minutes after leaving the car. This just doesn't seem right to me. Carn a' Gheoidh after that - the best of the three - then onto Carn Aosda (whose status as a Munro may be under threat in the future, I hear). Was back at the car 3 hours and 20 minutes after leaving it despite having done three Munros - definitely a big "wrong" there.

To cleanse myself of the clutter I had just experienced, I drove up to Braemar and climbed the Corbett Morrone, which was also short, but was the best hill of the day.

I then wondered if the road going through Braemar led to the M90 to allow me avoid Perth at 5pm, but was staggered to find I was almost as far north as Aberdeen. Avoided Perth all the same by returning by my arrival route - along to Dunkeld and down the A9.

IMO Corbetts are superior to Munros in all aspects (except height). I hear that another Munro has just been lucky enough to have been remeasured at less than 914.4m, and I expect it will soon join the Corbetts!

Went up to Glenshee today. Was at the summmit of The Cairnwell 30 minutes after leaving the car. This just doesn't seem right to me. Carn a' Gheoidh after that - the best of the three - then onto Carn Aosda (whose status as a Munro may be under threat in the future, I hear). Was back at the car 3 hours and 20 minutes after leaving it despite having done three Munros - definitely a big "wrong" there.

To cleanse myself of the clutter I had just experienced, I drove up to Braemar and climbed the Corbett Morrone, which was also short, but was the best hill of the day.

I then wondered if the road going through Braemar led to the M90 to allow me avoid Perth at 5pm, but was staggered to find I was almost as far north as Aberdeen. Avoided Perth all the same by returning by my arrival route - along to Dunkeld and down the A9.

IMO Corbetts are superior to Munros in all aspects (except height). I hear that another Munro has just been lucky enough to have been remeasured at less than 914.4m, and I expect it will soon join the Corbetts!

Usually they offer better views as the tend to be more isolated than Munros. I`d recommend Beinn Dearg Mhor, Ben Damph, Askival, Quinag, Cul Mor just to start with. Climbing the Corbetts(and even lower hills) takes you to parts of the country the Munro-bagger will never reach, such as Coigach, Rum, Jura, Arran, Caithness, Harris.

Anyone been up Bauchaille Etive Mor by the steep corrie beside Jimmy Saville's cottage recently? Got a Spanish lad working beside me for a few months on an exchange - says he likes climbing, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of level he's at. Was thinking of taking him up to Glen Coe next week for a walking trip with a wee bit of easyish scrambling, but it's a while since I climbed that one - seem to remember it's got a wee bit of decent scrambling near the top before you go over onto the main ridge, is that right or is it more just a steepish walk? I'm not taking him along the Aonach Eagach because I'd be worried having not been on a walk with him before. If I'm not remembering right about the Bauchaille, any otehr suggestions for something that's got some decent (but not too severe) scrambling that isn't too far away?

Fairly decent, but not difficult, walk up at Glen Shee today, just did the four tops on teh East side including Cairn of Claise. I haven't been there for quite a while, and it's always nice to do something new in a familiar area after a break of a few years. I was expecting a few showers, but only really got one on the way down and the tops were clear all day - just as well though really, as I wouldn't have enjoyed trying to navigate across the plateau in poor visibility.

We were out a couple of weeks back up the Pentlands - most ridiculous wind I've ever known up a hill in my life. I was close to being lifted off my feet twice at the first top, so we didn't do the full ridge and just headed down. Couldn't even hear each other as we agreed to go back!

That's not Jimmy Savilles cottage, his is further down the glen. You are referring to Lagangarbh Cottage, which is the SMC hut. :)

Usually they offer better views as the tend to be more isolated than Munros. I`d recommend Beinn Dearg Mhor, Ben Damph, Askival, Quinag, Cul Mor just to start with. Climbing the Corbetts(and even lower hills) takes you to parts of the country the Munro-bagger will never reach, such as Coigach, Rum, Jura, Arran, Caithness, Harris.

And Galloway. ;)

There's also the issue with me that Corbetts are usually pathless and steeper (save a few well known ones like Goatfell and The Cobbler) and therefore more of a challenge. I've done single Corbetts in the time taken to do two or more Munros. If the 150m drop rule for Corbetts and Grahams were applied to Munros, we'd lose at least 20 of them, possibly more.

More likely to have the hill to yourself on a Corbett, even more so on a Graham.

Always funny to see on the likes of scottishhills.com a poster's log below their avatar like -

Munros - 265

Corbetts - 1

Grahams - 0

with the solitary Corbett either being a subsequently demoted Munro or The Cobbler.

Banging on about climbing Corbetts instead of Munros is more boring than diddy team fans going on and on about how they're superior because they support their local club rather than the Old Firm. Perhaps true, but very, very boring.

Let folk climb what they want for the reason they want without dishing out lectures.

Banging on about climbing Corbetts instead of Munros is more boring than diddy team fans going on and on about how they're superior because they support their local club rather than the Old Firm. Perhaps true, but very, very boring.

Let folk climb what they want for the reason they want without dishing out lectures.

Ok I'm happy letting boring c***s climb the boring hills. Give me Rum, Skye, Knoydart or Assynt any day.

Ok I'm happy letting boring c***s climb the boring hills. Give me Rum, Skye, Knoydart or Assynt any day.

Well why moan about it? If people enjoy ticking off the Munros because they aim to to climb then all without climbing any/many other hills why should be this seen as an inferior way to go about things? People climb hills for different reasons and if they're gettinhg enjoymnet out it then who cares?

Some hillwalkers have a real superiority complex.

Well why moan about it? If people enjoy ticking off the Munros because they aim to to climb then all without climbing any/many other hills why should be this seen as an inferior way to go about things? People climb hills for different reasons and if they're gettinhg enjoymnet out it then who cares?

Some hillwalkers have a real superiority complex.

:huh: Show me the post where I moaned about it. Plenty of my friends are Munro-baggers. I`ll join them on occasions when they are doing something I fancy, but any time they are hiking up some characterless lump, or any hill in the mist & drizzle, I`ll find something else to do.

The only people I resent in any way, are those who don`t want to stop & have a blether out on the hill, even a friendly hello suffices!

I heard that. Did they say which mountain it was? Ben Vane quite often gets measured and remeasured.

I don't really mind what I'm climbing to tell you the truth. Some of the corbetts have been quite tough walks in comparison to some of the Munros. It's getting to the stage now where we have done most of the easy to get to in a day mountains so its going to be overnighters and stuff from now on in.

Took the kids up the Merrick last week for their first walk. Took us a long time and lots of stopping for stuff to eat but they made it to the top and the views were brilliant.

Took the kids up the Merrick last week for their first walk. Took us a long time and lots of stopping for stuff to eat but they made it to the top and the views were brilliant.

The Merrick is a great walk - tough going in places but the views are worth every step.

Part of our DofE practice expedition uses the lower part of it and we often cook at the ruined bothy Culsharg.