Hillwalking Thread

Fair enough. I haven't climbed it, but a mate of mine climbed the both of them. Said that Ben More isn't an interesting hill at all - it's a straight up, straight back down job. You can be at the summit in an hour and a half if you're fit.

We did it from the west side. It took about an hour and a half to reach the bottom of the hill that way but the views were fucking brilliant looking back towards Loch Tay. That's why we decided to do it that way. And there is no path either so you are knee deep in the spaghnum moss all the way. It was a really nice day and its the first hill Ive climbed where Ive worn a t shirt from start to finish. Most other folk do it form the opposite side we did it and I think it's pretty much straight up and straight back down again. Fair enough if you just want to chalk it off and get back to the pub!

Id recommend the other route though, it's much nicer, and the views are stunning looking towards Loch Tay.

It took us seven hours. A fair old trek but I had a sleep at the top B)

Edited by Reynard

Anyone done Goat Fell on Arran?

Five hours to the summit having spoken to a mate at work. On a clear day you can see the Ailsa Craig and over towards Ireland.

We tend to go to Arran on our holidays for reasons of economy, so hoping to give it a go once the wee one is a bit older and can f**k off on my tod for the day.

Five hours to the summit having spoken to a mate at work. On a clear day you can see the Ailsa Craig and over towards Ireland.

We tend to go to Arran on our holidays for reasons of economy, so hoping to give it a go once the wee one is a bit older and can f**k off on my tod for the day.

Aye, and it's not a tough hill either. But the views are brilliant from the top if you get a clear day.

Reasons of economy? f**k sake.The wife normally has us holed up at Auchrannie for a the week. :lol:

I like Arran. It's a great place.

I'm pretty sure I climbed that with my dad when I was about 13. Can't remember much about it obviously, but if I could it at that age, it can't be that hard. :P

im new to all of this, never been hillwalking in my puff but really want to.

do all these recognised mountains have clear paths? i dont want to find myself rock climbing as Fudge described.

Spent the summer backpacking and realised i enjoy walking, good wee work out too.I know its different from hills but it got me interested in the subject.

I recently moved to Blairgowrie from lovely Airdrie and im clueless, so someone help me? THe cairngorns ive drove by near my house...are they ideal for newcomers? or harder for more experienced walkers?

going to begin by doing the Cateran trail around the blairgowrie area, 64 miles all round and 15 miles a day, think ill do one stage and see how i get on.

any advice would be great

im new to all of this, never been hillwalking in my puff but really want to.

do all these recognised mountains have clear paths? i dont want to find myself rock climbing as Fudge described.

Spent the summer backpacking and realised i enjoy walking, good wee work out too.I know its different from hills but it got me interested in the subject.

I recently moved to Blairgowrie from lovely Airdrie and im clueless, so someone help me? THe cairngorns ive drove by near my house...are they ideal for newcomers? or harder for more experienced walkers?

going to begin by doing the Cateran trail around the blairgowrie area, 64 miles all round and 15 miles a day, think ill do one stage and see how i get on.

any advice would be great

Most Munros and mountains of any type have clear paths. There's only one Munro you can't reach the top of without ropes and that's one of the Black Cuillins on Skye (Sgurr Alasdair).

None of the Cairngorms are particularly difficult. Have a look on Munro Magic and you can see paths and people's reviews of them.

The Ochils (Stirlingshire) and East Lomonds (Fife) have some good walks and none of those are particularly strenuous.

Going to do Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin sometime this week if the weather gets better. They look fairly easy and there should be a good path.

I can't wait til it's winter again!

If you're going from Callander, watch out for the vanishing bridge!

Going to do Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin sometime this week if the weather gets better. They look fairly easy and there should be a good path.

I can't wait til it's winter again!

Thursday is supposed to be sunny so I'm heading back to do Stuc a Chroin then although depending on when I arrive at Ardvorlich I may do Vorlich as well though you'll no doubt run past me at some point. :lol:

Edited by Ceratogyrus

Thursday is supposed to be sunny so I'm heading back to do Stuc a Chroin then although depending on when I arrive at Ardvorlich I may do Vorlich as well though you'll no doubt run past me at some point. :lol:

Despite my realtively quick times for hills, I don't actually walk that fast, it's just that I don't take any breaks (except for 5mins at the top for a sandwich)

If Thursday is to be nice them I'll probably go then :D

Despite my realtively quick times for hills, I don't actually walk that fast, it's just that I don't take any breaks (except for 5mins at the top for a sandwich)

If Thursday is to be nice them I'll probably go then :D

I'll watch out for you then but I'll probably take the path that runs between the two in order to do Stuc first. If I can be bothered on the way back I'll do Vorlich as well but seeing as how I've done it three times on its own I will most likely not bother. :ph34r:

Thinking of doing An Caisteal & Beinn a’ Chroin on Sunday as it's meant to be nice then too. Though me and a friend have arranged to go walking on Saturday though the forecast is for rain so not sure if we'll be going or not.

I'll watch out for you then but I'll probably take the path that runs between the two in order to do Stuc first. If I can be bothered on the way back I'll do Vorlich as well but seeing as how I've done it three times on its own I will most likely not bother. :ph34r:

Thinking of doing An Caisteal & Beinn a’ Chroin on Sunday as it's meant to be nice then too. Though me and a friend have arranged to go walking on Saturday though the forecast is for rain so not sure if we'll be going or not.

My boots have been giving me a bit of hassle lately so was thinking about just doing them in running shoes. Is the path decent enough/non boggy to allow that?

My boots have been giving me a bit of hassle lately so was thinking about just doing them in running shoes. Is the path decent enough/non boggy to allow that?

Yes the path up Vorlich is very clear with the only boggy bits being in the corrie between the two. The path that leads off Stuc a Chroin back around the side of Vorlich can be a bit boggy at times but it's fairly easy to step on the drier bits. The path to the top of Vorlich is quite rocky as well so watch out for that, might be sore in running shoes.

Edited by Ceratogyrus

Yes the path up Vorlich is very clear with the only boggy bits being in the corrie between the two. The path that leads off Stuc a Chroin back around the side of Vorlich can be a bit boggy at times but it's fairly easy to step on the drier bits. The path to the top of Vorlich is quite rocky as well so watch out for that, might be sore in running shoes.

Thanks.

Think I'll chance it and wear trainers. My legs feel like lead today and my boots weigh a ton so that's another reason to ditch them.

Forgot to ask, do you use walking poles?

Thanks.

Think I'll chance it and wear trainers. My legs feel like lead today and my boots weigh a ton so that's another reason to ditch them.

Forgot to ask, do you use walking poles?

I will take one with me but don't use it until the way back normally, the path back down Stuc a Chroin looked quite steep. Someone I know keeps recommending I get another and use the two of them but I'm a bit skint at the moment so will have to stick with just the one.

Dreading tomorrow as my last walk was quite a while ago (May). I am going to struggle badly I think.

post-67-1254311247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ceratogyrus

I will take one with me but don't use it until the way back normally, the path back down Stuc a Chroin looked quite steep. Someone I know keeps recommending I get another and use the two of them but I'm a bit skint at the moment so will have to stick with just the one.

Dreading tomorrow as my last walk was quite a while ago (May). I am going to struggle badly I think.

If you use 2 poles all the way I reckon it cuts a good 30 mins off a regulation 5 hour walk. They make things SO much easier that when you start usuing them you'll curse yourself for not doing it earlier and probably laugh about what and idiot you've been!

The best place to get them is Leki's in Falkirk. I got 2 telescopic poles with shock absorbers for £20, when they are ususally £30 each.

When you walk up the valley and then cut up right for An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin it is a bit of a slog up a grass slope (was fairly boggy as wel when I did it). Got to be honest and say it wasn't the most enjoyable walk I've ever done.

If you use 2 poles all the way I reckon it cuts a good 30 mins off a regulation 5 hour walk. They make things SO much easier that when you start usuing them you'll curse yourself for not doing it earlier and probably laugh about what and idiot you've been!

The best place to get them is Leki's in Falkirk. I got 2 telescopic poles with shock absorbers for £20, when they are ususally £30 each.

When you walk up the valley and then cut up right for An Caisteal and Beinn a' Chroin it is a bit of a slog up a grass slope (was fairly boggy as wel when I did it). Got to be honest and say it wasn't the most enjoyable walk I've ever done.

May have to take a trip to Leki's on Friday maybe then, think I've got too much housework to do today and Steven's stoned on painkillers so can't help me. :rolleyes:

I'll see how things pan out over the weekend, my friend and I might end up going somewhere even if it is raining on saturday which'll mean I won't go anywhere on Sunday.

I'm looking to pick out approx 10 classic ridge walks in Scotland to do on a wee jaunt next summer.

So far I've got

Beinn Alligin (Torridon)

Liathach (Torridon)

An Teallach (Torridon)

Beinn Eighe (Torridon)

Cullins Ridge (Skye)

Aonach Eagach Ridge (Glencoe)

5 sisters of Kintail

The South Glen Shiel Ridge

Can anyone suggest any more?

Aye, and it's not a tough hill either. But the views are brilliant from the top if you get a clear day.

Reasons of economy? f**k sake.The wife normally has us holed up at Auchrannie for a the week. :lol:

I like Arran. It's a great place.

£300 per week for a holiday cottage is about as far as our budget can stretch. I'm filling in the forms for free school meals for the bairn as I write :P:lol:

Arran is a smashing place. Some lovely golf courses as well as Goat Fell.

Auchrannie? Overpriced! :P