Hillwalking Thread

29 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/cairn-toul.shtml

Been looking through walks on walkhighlands trying to find my next big one. Anyone done this?

The time noted on the website is 13 hours to 2 days with an overnight stay at a bothy if you're opting to do it over two days. Anyone happen to know roughly how long it would take me to get from the start point to the bothy? Don't want to get there far too early to sleep and be left twiddling my thumbs for hours.

All bothies are closed at the moment due to Covid, so it'll need to be a tent if you're doing it soon - and in that case, you can pretty much stop when you want. There are places near Corrour bothy that you can fit a tent (that is a busy small bothy in normal circumstances, so you'd probably not want to rely on it  for sleeping anyway).

I did the Devil's Point, Cairn Toul and Sgurr an Lochan Uaine in a day from Linn o Dee using a bike - it was a brilliant walk - adding Braeriach to it, could only be a good thing :)

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

All bothies are closed at the moment due to Covid, so it'll need to be a tent if you're doing it soon - and in that case, you can pretty much stop when you want. There are places near Corrour bothy that you can fit a tent (that is a busy small bothy in normal circumstances, so you'd probably not want to rely on it  for sleeping anyway).

I did the Devil's Point, Cairn Toul and Sgurr an Lochan Uaine in a day from Linn o Dee using a bike - it was a brilliant walk - adding Braeriach to it, could only be a good thing :)

Thought I had seen something saying bothies were reopened a while back, must’ve imagined it. Would be planning on taking a tent anyway, was more just meaning that I would be camping in and around that area. 

Fingers crossed for a decent spell of weather coming up soon.

Ben More on Mull today. The second 500m is only a km long so pretty steep but can't he many better views from any munro.

Added to yesterday's boat trip where we saw minkie whales, dolphins and porpoise all within about 20ft of the boat has rocketed Mull up my favourite islands chart.

20200818_121340.jpg

Been looking through walks on walkhighlands trying to find my next big one. Anyone done this?
The time noted on the website is 13 hours to 2 days with an overnight stay at a bothy if you're opting to do it over two days. Anyone happen to know roughly how long it would take me to get from the start point to the bothy? Don't want to get there far too early to sleep and be left twiddling my thumbs for hours.
Yes, and because I'm a complete idiot I reascended the opposite side and did Macdhui and Cairn Gorm to make a hellish circuit. I was 16.5 hours for that so I'd imagine just coming back up the Lairig Ghru would have been 13-14 hours. Worth remembering the walk out up the LG still has a depressing amount of ascent and you'd have to negotiate the Chalamain Gap with very tired legs. If you've got a bike coming in from Linn of Dee would be easier (about 3 miles to reach Derry Lodge)

30 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
7 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Yes, and because I'm a complete idiot I reascended the opposite side and did Macdhui and Cairn Gorm to make a hellish circuit. I was 16.5 hours for that so I'd imagine just coming back up the Lairig Ghru would have been 13-14 hours. Worth remembering the walk out up the LG still has a depressing amount of ascent and you'd have to negotiate the Chalamain Gap with very tired legs. If you've got a bike coming in from Linn of Dee would be easier (about 3 miles to reach Derry Lodge)

I camped at Corrour and day 2 plan was Càrn a' Mhaim, MacDui and Cairn Gorm back to car at sugar bowl.

Slogged up Allt an Tailleir in blazing heat and full weekend pack and tent and knocked off CaM but was absolutely gubbed by this point and headed back down to the Lairig. In my youthful  stupidity I hadn't realised in would have had less ascent just going over MacDui than dropping back down.

A brutal day all round

12 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Quite gutted that I haven’t done at least one of the bottom 20 in that list. I’ve clearly done far too many of the top 20, think I need to up my game!

The ones in the bottom 20 are pretty much all epic days or overnighters - They are really satisfying to reach until it hits you how far from home you are :)

I camped at Corrour and day 2 plan was Càrn a' Mhaim, MacDui and Cairn Gorm back to car at sugar bowl.
Slogged up Allt an Tailleir in blazing heat and full weekend pack and tent and knocked off CaM but was absolutely gubbed by this point and headed back down to the Lairig. In my youthful  stupidity I hadn't realised in would have had less ascent just going over MacDui than dropping back down.
A brutal day all round

Dead God, I feel your pain. Clambering up soft wet moss to escape onto the bealach is the closest I've come to spewing on a hill. It was an epic day but never fucking again.
Quite gutted that I haven’t done at least one of the bottom 20 in that list. I’ve clearly done far too many of the top 20, think I need to up my game!

I've only done 2 of them tbf. It actually makes for an impressive wee mini list of utterly gruelling hill days. I'm probably dreading the rough bounds more than the rest. Conversely looking forward to a'Mhaighdean more than any others.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

The ones in the bottom 20 are pretty much all epic days or overnighters - They are really satisfying to reach until it hits you how far from home you are :)

I did Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgurr Ban and Beinn a’ Chlaidheamh when it was still a Munro in a oner. Walked in via Loch a’ Bhraoin and camped. Great couple of days out, would like to add Beinn Tarsuinn A’ Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mòr some time

I also did Seana Bhraigh from the Beinn Dearg car park about 4 weeks later. I think the top of Seana Bhraigh is about 10 miles from the road at Inverlael. I can imagine navigation could be tricky in bad weather when you get to the bit at the head of Glen Douchary if you weren’t careful but I did it on a fine day. Both solo trips and I hardly saw a soul either day. 

I did Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgurr Ban and Beinn a’ Chlaidheamh when it was still a Munro in a oner. Walked in via Loch a’ Bhraoin and camped. Great couple of days out, would like to add Beinn Tarsuinn A’ Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mòr some time

I also did Seana Bhraigh from the Beinn Dearg car park about 4 weeks later. I think the top of Seana Bhraigh is about 10 miles from the road at Inverlael. I can imagine navigation could be tricky in bad weather when you get to the bit at the head of Glen Douchary if you weren’t careful but I did it on a fine day. Both solo trips and I hardly saw a soul either day. 
I'm planning Seana Braigh in October, but from Oykel Bridge. Bike in a few miles then scramble up Creag an Duine ridge. Looks an interesting approach.

59 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
2 hours ago, Snobot said:

I'm planning Seana Braigh in October, but from Oykel Bridge. Bike in a few miles then scramble up Creag an Duine ridge. Looks an interesting approach.

That's how I did it - you can drive in for miles, the estate don't mind - there is a little walker's car park at Strathmulzie lodge - the bike in is pretty easy (although I did it when rivers were in spate, so it was a bit ropey to get the bike across a couple of parts). Scramble is good fun.

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

That's how I did it - you can drive in for miles, the estate don't mind - there is a little walker's car park at Strathmulzie lodge - the bike in is pretty easy (although I did it when rivers were in spate, so it was a bit ropey to get the bike across a couple of parts). Scramble is good fun.

I've read mixed reports on it, but the general consensus is that it's reasonably OK with some potentially dodgy route-finding and some faff at An Sgurr. Infinitely preferable to the massive walk in from Inverlael. 

8 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've read mixed reports on it, but the general consensus is that it's reasonably OK with some potentially dodgy route-finding and some faff at An Sgurr. Infinitely preferable to the massive walk in from Inverlael. 

I found it pretty comfortable - no particularly tricky stuff, just a really nice ridge. It is in the middle of nowhere though :)

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I quite enjoyed the walk from Inverlael - brilliant views all round, fairly easy going along a gentle stalkers’ path for a good bit of the way once you climbed out of Glen Sguaib.  It is a long day but not a particularly difficult one, particularly if you don’t fancy scrambling. I was pretty fit at that point to be fair.

My folks stay 10 mins from Inverlael which made for an easy choice.

31 minutes ago, Snobot said:

I quite enjoyed the walk from Inverlael - brilliant views all round, fairly easy going along a gentle stalkers’ path for a good bit of the way once you climbed out of Glen Sguaib.  It is a long day but not a particularly difficult one, particularly if you don’t fancy scrambling. I was pretty fit at that point to be fair.

My folks stay 10 mins from Inverlael which made for an easy choice.

Having done it from Oykel Bridge, I quite fancy the wander over from Inverlael as I like that type of walking...

6 hours ago, Swello said:

Having done it from Oykel Bridge, I quite fancy the wander over from Inverlael as I like that type of walking...

Sort of agree. I would enjoy the walk in but I'm already premptively depressed about dragging my blistered dehydrated body along the walk out

Ben Nevis in just under 7 hours today. Never again but nothing to do with the actual walk which was fine. It was absolutely heaving, which I suppose is to be expected on a day like today. I'm glad I've done it but I prefer my walks to be fairly quiet. Now sitting in the real food cafe in Tyndrum and about to tuck into some fish and chips.20200819_130620.jpeg20200819_133350.jpeg

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin today.

First one was straightforward enough but the latter got a bit complicated owing to the heavy fog up there. Could barely see above us so navigating the best way up was a bit of a struggle. Lots of probably unnecessary scrambling as a result. Can't even say it was worth it as we couldn't see a thing from the top, such is my recent luck! [emoji23] IMG_20200819_112559_902.jpeg20200819_124512.jpeg