Hillwalking Thread

14 hours ago, Swello said:

Worth noting that I did these from Ettrick Valley, not the Moffat side and I've not walked the SUW from Moffat, so can't vouch for the state of that section

Thanks. I would go from the Moffat side I think, save the Ettrick approach for a bigger round. 

Forecast to be shocking tomorrow, amazing on Friday. I'll maybe try at the weekend hoping Friday's heat will have dried out the damage done tomorrow. Alternative option is heading to Durisdeer for Wedder Law seeing as its basically track all the way, leaving the option open for some other Donalds if it's dry enough

On holiday from work, so went for a low-ish level walk in the 'gorms from near Braemar with the kids - with a cracking wild camp spot thrown in last night. The camera doesn't pick up the midge apocalypse when the breeze dropped later on (which is a risk with a sheltered site near water obviously) - I always thought the Cairngorms had the *nice* midges..

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200729205445441_COVER.thumb.jpg.e4136c30499082b216cf2eb251a85f3a.jpg

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200729205557559_COVER.thumb.jpg.6e07ed793b7c79ced4747742e44b0a1c.jpg

IMG_20200729_205806.thumb.jpg.630177860b5e29a17996d89464c87de9.jpg

And the "leave no trace" pic to prove that you don't need to leave a heap of shite behind after a camp:

IMG_20200730_075459.thumb.jpg.92895638f0c154d6e8ff7ca37c2c46b5.jpg

1 hour ago, Swello said:

On holiday from work, so went for a low-ish level walk in the 'gorms from near Braemar with the kids - with a cracking wild camp spot thrown in last night. The camera doesn't pick up the midge apocalypse when the breeze dropped later on (which is a risk with a sheltered site near water obviously) - I always thought the Cairngorms had the *nice* midges..

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200729205445441_COVER.thumb.jpg.e4136c30499082b216cf2eb251a85f3a.jpg

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200729205557559_COVER.thumb.jpg.6e07ed793b7c79ced4747742e44b0a1c.jpg

IMG_20200729_205806.thumb.jpg.630177860b5e29a17996d89464c87de9.jpg

And the "leave no trace" pic to prove that you don't need to leave a heap of shite behind after a camp:

IMG_20200730_075459.thumb.jpg.92895638f0c154d6e8ff7ca37c2c46b5.jpg

I'd have tufted the grass up. Giving us all a bad name 

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers yesterday in 5 hours, fairly pleased with that.  Was wondering what my first glimpse of Lawers would be from the top of Ghlas, happy to see it would be a formality.   Busy day on the route with a wee queue at the trig point helped no doubt by the decent weather.  An easy and pleasant walk back to the car.  

Planning on taking the bairns next week to do Meall Buidhe, sounds like a perfect first Munro for them.

21 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Meall Buidhe is short but it's pathless, boggy, and the climb is relentless until the final ridge with very little of interest on the route.

It's been a while but my memory is that Stuchd an Lochain is by far the better of the two munros from that start point - and it is a very similar walk in terms of distance and ascent...

Drove up to the Lawers car park yesterday with the intention of doing the two small ones accessed from just after the Loch. Got there to find cars abandoned everywhere and a fair few of the passing places blocked so after driving around a few times headed to Stuchd an Lochan but had to give up just as we gained the ridge as my dog started to limp.

All in all an extremely frustrating day.

20200802_173816.jpg

I went up Mayar on Saturday as we wanted to be back in time for the game. 

Got to car park at 8 and almost 75% full. We fancied a bit of peace so went up Jocks Rd, crossed White Water at Davies Bourach and followed the Falzioch Burn before heading for the summit.

Didn't see another soul anywhere on the route after turning onto Jocks Rd until summit of Mayar.

About 30 folk on the summit by 11am and we passed probably double that as we descended down Corrie Fee. 

Met a pal who had been up Bachnagairn and back down Jocks Rd and he said same about having place to himself.

I reckon as long as you stay off the the trade routes it's still easy enough to get some peace (not that I ever expect Mayar to myself).

It did feel more like a Ben Nevis/ Ben Lomond type of outing than it usually does with the trainers and football tops folk out (not a criticism, everyone has to start somewhere and is entitled to a walk in the hills in good weather)

20200801_122157.jpg

Edited by invergowrie arab

I went up Stob Dubh today. I'd expected it to be reasonably quiet given it's Monday but the car park was about 80% full when I arrived about 1000. I didn't pass too many folk on the way up but it was mobbed on the way down. It took me three hours to get home due the amount of traffic on the road when it should only take about half of that normally. 20200803_124139.jpeg20200803_131256.jpeg

12 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Drove up to the Lawers car park yesterday with the intention of doing the two small ones accessed from just after the Loch. Got there to find cars abandoned everywhere and a fair few of the passing places blocked so after driving around a few times headed to Stuchd an Lochan but had to give up just as we gained the ridge as my dog started to limp.

All in all an extremely frustrating day.

20200802_173816.jpg

Arrived at Lawers car park about 9am this morning and managed to get a space in the car park. Went up Meall nan Tarmachan and back over the ridge and only met a handful of folk. I was pleasantly surprised. There were a few cars dotted around but nothing exceptional.

It's been years since I've been there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Monday is my new walking day!

I headed up to Glen Doll on Saturday evening to try out my new Alpkit Soloist one man tent. Arrived about 5pm, headed up the Scorrie, which with a full camping pack having also cycled 100k in the morning was tremendous fun. Made it up in about 90 mins though and pitched at about 750m on the grassy plateau at the top of the Scorrie. It's a brilliant viewpoint, hardly any wind overnight (other than inside the tent). I didn't see another soul until I met an old boy at the bottom of Corrie Kilbo. Car Park was mobbed by 10am. 

Scorrie_1.jpg

Scorrie_2.jpg

Glen Doll.jpg

6 hours ago, Swello said:

And how was the tent? Looks like a good price Vs weight...

Excellent. Had the thing up (Kenneth Williams meme) in about 6 or 7 minutes. Decent room considering it's a one man effort and reasonable porch size for kit. No condensation either which was pleasing. I think it weighs about 1200g. Can't argue with that at all for the money, imo.

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Driesh or Mayar alright for someone that's horrendously unfit just looking for a day-stroll?

Depends on your definition of horrendously unfit tbh. If your BMI is about 50, probably not a good idea 😂

Using the normal approach through Corrie Fee up to Mayar, across to Driesh and down the Kilbo path, it's approx 9 miles and 800m of ascent. The only steep bits are the pull out of Corrie Fee and the short pull up onto the main plateau of Driesh. Corrie Fee is worth a visit in in it's own right, if you manage Mayar you can just sack Driesh if you're not feeling up to it and head down the Kilbo Path afterwards.  

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I headed up to Glen Doll on Saturday evening to try out my new Alpkit Soloist one man tent. Arrived about 5pm, headed up the Scorrie, which with a full camping pack having also cycled 100k in the morning was tremendous fun. Made it up in about 90 mins though and pitched at about 750m on the grassy plateau at the top of the Scorrie. It's a brilliant viewpoint, hardly any wind overnight (other than inside the tent). I didn't see another soul until I met an old boy at the bottom of Corrie Kilbo. Car Park was mobbed by 10am. 

Give or take a few feet, I've camped at that very spot a few times. Great pitch.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Excellent. Had the thing up (Kenneth Williams meme) in about 6 or 7 minutes. Decent room considering it's a one man effort and reasonable porch size for kit. No condensation either which was pleasing. I think it weighs about 1200g. Can't argue with that at all for the money, imo.

Nice one. Looking at the shape of it, I'd be interested to know how it handles strong winds - I would guess that you will need to be particularly careful not to let the wind hit the side of it but if the wind is hitting the foot end, it should be able to handle a lot...

Nice one. Looking at the shape of it, I'd be interested to know how it handles strong winds - I would guess that you will need to be particularly careful not to let the wind hit the side of it but if the wind is hitting the foot end, it should be able to handle a lot...
I thought that might be tested on Sat night but it was pretty calm [emoji23] Might head out again this weekend. I got one of their sleep mats which again weighs and costed less than the one I have.

It wouldn't be suitable for genuinely extreme conditions but the Eiger trekker one man tent on Amazon is a pretty good option at about £40. Lightweight, very easy to put up, a low profile against the wind and has put up with several soaking, West Coast rainstorms with minimal leakage, most probably caused by my half arsed setup.

I'm thinking of getting the two-person version for next year to have extra room to keep the rest of the pack inside comfortably when it's raining, otherwise it gets chucked in the porch.