Hillwalking Thread

I had a great night wild camping a few days ago before the hoardes appeared (better tents appear with no dugs to content with, usually a Laser Comp). Today I was turned back from Loch Muick and Mar Lodge. 

Scunnered as was looking forward to a good pitch.

DSC_1104.JPG

1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

I had a great night wild camping a few days ago before the hoardes appeared (better tents appear with no dugs to content with, usually a Laser Comp). Today I was turned back from Loch Muick and Mar Lodge. 

Scunnered as was looking forward to a good pitch.

DSC_1104.JPG

Who turned you back?

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

After last week's outing I chose to visit the East Drumochters - A' Bhuiheanach Bheag and Carn na Caim.
As hills go I have to say that they were fairly straightforward but quite uninspiring.

This is A' Mharconaich and Geal Charn. Pretty much as good as the views got.

1427967240_110.AMharconaichGealCharn.jpg.1ba70c441ba712a5b8cee04eb2392ae4.jpg

Normally I enjoy naming the peaks I see on my travels but I was  snapping away today having no idea what I was looking at.
This was a view north-east-ish  from Can na Caim. I tried using the Peakvisor app, but it has difficulty working out what its looking at too.

114. Summit view.jpg

Schiehallion appearing in the distance threw me completely. Seemingly it's directly south of the hills I was on - I was convinced that Drumochter was much further east (I'm not a regular user of the A9).

123. Schiehallion.jpg

In most peoples head the A9 is straight up from Perth to Inverness but it takes a big westward dogleg after Blair Atholl and at Drumochter it is pretty much in line with Hamilton. Looking NE of Càrn na Caim you will be looking onto Meall Chuaich or generally onto the Gaick Forest were there is loads of 2000 ft plus upland. In the far distance will be the Monadh Mòr as far as Braeriach

Edited by invergowrie arab

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Are the hills still full of folk who took up hill walking last month?

Popular hills, especially the ones in easy reach of the central belt are always mobbed in the summer (and TBH I'd rather they were giving it a go now when the temps are higher and there is more chance of decent weather)- but I think this year it's just more concentrated as everyone's been locked in. 

Arsehole Camping™ really has been on the rise though - even folk that work on estates and national parks that don't normally jump on the bandwagon are highlighting it. I can't get my head round some of the stuff that they do (chopping down live trees and expecting the wood to burn?) but I think people that always wanted to restrict wild camping will be using this to extend/copy the horrible restrictions in Loch Lomond NP....

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

In most peoples head the A9 is straight up from Perth to Inverness but it takes a big westward dogleg after Blair Atholl and at Drumochter it is pretty much in line with Hamilton. Looking NE of Càrn na Caim you will be looking onto Meall Chuaich or generally onto the Gaick Forest were there is loads of 2000 ft plus upland. In the far distance will be the Monadh Mòr as far as Braeriach

Quite interesting to see that. At the time I'd thought - "That looks like Schiehallion - i wonder what it actually is?". Peakvisor (for once) confirmed it.

My driving limit for a hillwalk is about 3 hours, which covers anything reached via the A82 up as far as Ben Nevis, so my hill geography only really goes that far. Further east it is more patchy, although I have done some around the Cairngorms , Glen Shee and hills like Mount Keen.  I remember doing a few around the Carinwell and deciding, after I'd gotten back to the car, to head north and do Morrone too. Was surprised to look at the road map later and see how far north I'd been.

In the Next few weeks me and The mrs are going to go for a road trip and wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere we would be able to go for a dip in some fresh water?

I’ve looked at the Falls at Falloch but may venture further north just depends on the weather etc.

20 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

In the Next few weeks me and The mrs are going to go for a road trip and wondered if anyone could recommend somewhere we would be able to go for a dip in some fresh water?

I’ve looked at the Falls at Falloch but may venture further north just depends on the weather etc.

Depends how far you want to go. Chest of Dee is my swimming spot of choice with the River Feshie running it a close second.

You could find a spot in any loch but I find rivers a bit more fun

Finally built up the stamina and strength in my knee to tackle a hill. Some quality advice given to me on page 102 in January when I decided i would be working towards going up, and also waiting u til the dug was about 1 year old.

Decided on something local so Tinto fit the bill. Got there about 7:45am and there was 8 cars in the car park, 2 hours up and down and that was stopping at the top for 15 minutes rest. Genuinely didn't realise how steep it was in parts but glad I've got one under my belt. 

I'll be looking to get a few "easier"ones under my belt in the next few weeks, with only working part time for the time being I'll be trying to get one or 2 in a week.

Just as an aside, when I was coming into view of the car park, I couldn't believe how many cars had shown up, car park overflowing and right up the wee lane right back to the main road. I imagine that's a usual sunday on a popular hill?

I was up Ben Lawers last weekend which was, naturally, busy as f**k. What’s the crack with those weirdos who wear a laminated map round their neck?  There’s about a million people on the mountain and an obvious path the whole way up. Embarrassing like.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

30 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I was up Ben Lawers last weekend which was, naturally, busy as f**k. What’s the crack with those weirdos who wear a laminated map round their neck?  There’s about a million people on the mountain and an obvious path the whole way up. Embarrassing like.

Nothing up with that i normally print the route of walk highlands and laminate it, maybe some of the busier ones i could agree with you but then there are always your quieter hills where it comes in handy where there are  paths visible. Always carry a proper map as well just in case the laminated one comes in handy for sticking in pocket.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Nothing up with that i normally print the route of walk highlands and laminate it, maybe some of the busier ones i could agree with you but then there are always your quieter hills where it comes in handy where there are  paths visible. Always carry a proper map as well just in case the laminated one comes in handy for sticking in pocket.

Same here. I carry a map & compass in a waterproof pouch and keep a GPS in my pack as back up. Doesn't matter how busy a hill it is, I'd rather know where I am if and when the weather takes a turn. 

After Beinn Each last week I was buzzing and decided on the Loch Lochy Munro's today.  Maybe (definitely) a bit over confident there.  Got up there after a 3 hour drive and managed Meall Na Teanga, got back to the bealach, looked up at Sron a'Choire Ghairbh and thought fcuk that.  Just as well, was absolutely dying when i got back to the car after just over 7 hrs.  Loved the walk though, except the forest track on the way back which was soul destroying.  The views on the way up Meall were incredible.

Just the third Munro I've done and its the first walk where I've been totally emptied at the end.  The wind and rain at the top was brutal yet strangely enjoyable.

Now sitting at the Whispering Pines on my second pint looking up at the big b*****d, can't believe i just walked up there 😂

Edited by the aggressive beggar

1 hour ago, Futureboy said:

Same here. I carry a map & compass in a waterproof pouch and keep a GPS in my pack as back up. Doesn't matter how busy a hill it is, I'd rather know where I am if and when the weather takes a turn. 

I always find i carry too much kit but pal of mines done his mountain leader and way he looks at it is be prepared for to survive 24hrs on the hill as you never know and in all fairness i do carry bivvy bag, first aid kit etc probably go over the top but like you say if things take a turn am prepared for it.

Edited by AL-FFC

5 minutes ago, the aggressive beggar said:

After Beinn Each last week I was buzzing and decided on the Loch Lochy Munro's today.  Maybe (definitely) a bit over confident there.  Got up there after a 3 hour drive and managed Meall Na Teanga, got back to the bealach, looked up at Sron a'Choire Ghairbh and thought fcuk that.  Just as well, was absolutely dying when i got back to the car after just over 7 hrs.  Loved the walk though, except the forest track on the way back which i hated every second of.  The views on the way up Meall were incredible.

Just the third Munro I've done and its the first walk where I've been totally emptied at the end.  The wind and rain at the top was brutal yet strangely enjoyable.

Now sitting at the Whispering Pines on my second pint looking up at the big b*****d, can't believe i just walked up there 😂

You did the right thing and those hills have a proper drop between them - better not to overdo it. When I was starting out, the most difficult part was getting it in my head that getting to the summit wasn't the hard bit over and done with - getting to the point where you can drop off the first hill and then put in another big effort to get to another summit and then still be in a reasonable frame of mind for a big walk out takes a bit of getting used to.

My tip would be to take particular notice of the vertical ascent in a walk as well as the distance when you're planning it - it makes it a bit easier to get your head round it. If a walk has over 1000m ascent, it will be hard work for most (the shorter the walk, the worse the pain) and it gives you a hint that there will be a decent drop between hills - without checking, I'm sure the Loch Lochy walk will be in that bracket given how low that bealach is.

If you want to string some Munros together, try some in the East Mounth - the drops between hills are over a longer distance and it feels more like a continuous walk rather than a succession of sharp peaks like you get more of in the West. @invergowrie arab  or @Day of the Lords would much more on authority than me as it will be their back yard and could make better suggestions than me i'm sure - but i really like the walking in that part of the world. Look at walks from Glen Doll for example - Dreish/Mayar is a really nice walk and the round of 4 munros (Tom Bhuidhe/Tolmount/Cairn Bannocch/Broad Cairn if I remember correctly) up Jock's Road was one of my favourite Munro days...

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

You did the right thing and those hills have a proper drop between them - better not to overdo it. When I was starting out, the most difficult part was getting it in my head that getting to the summit wasn't the hard bit over and done with - getting to the point where you can drop off the first hill and then put in another big effort to get to another summit and then still be in a reasonable frame of mind for a big walk out takes a bit of getting used to.

My tip would be to take particular notice of the vertical ascent in a walk as well as the distance when you're planning it - it makes it a bit easier to get your head round it. If a walk has over 1000m ascent, it will be hard work for most (the shorter the walk, the worse the pain) and it gives you a hint that there will be a decent drop between hills - without checking, I'm sure the Loch Lochy walk will be in that bracket given how low that bealach is.

If you want to string some Munros together, try some in the East Mounth - the drops between hills are over a longer distance and it feels more like a continuous walk rather than a succession of sharp peaks like you get more of in the West. @invergowrie arab  or @Day of the Lords would much more on authority than me as it will be their back yard and could make better suggestions than me i'm sure - but i really like the walking in that part of the world. Look at walks from Glen Doll for example - Dreish/Mayar is a really nice walk and the round of 4 munros (Tom Bhuidhe/Tolmount/Cairn Bannocch/Broad Cairn if I remember correctly) up Jock's Road was one of my favourite Munro days...

Good striding out country around the East mounth.  The only difficulty is some of it can be featureless and therefore needs good navigation skills in bad weather.

The white mounth circuit or the Munros either side of Glenshee are a good way to get your munro tally into double figures with minimum ascent/descent but they can be long days.

I like looking at the likes of An Teallach and Liathach but much prefer to bounding along the eastern Grampians

4 hours ago, Swello said:

The Loch Lochy pair a decent walk, although i biked in to the path up into the bealach between the two. A not particularly tough ride in, and a glorious ride out. Meall na Teanga is an awkward fucker to do in spring as it holds a fair bit of snow, which usually necessitates a height-losing traverse lower down instead of the line which appears to involve fucking about with a cornice. No thanks 😂   The second one is probably one of the most enjoyable ascents there is - an excellent zig zag path most of the way up. Have to say though, it'd be a spirit crushing walk out on foot. 

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Good striding out country around the East mounth.  The only difficulty is some of it can be featureless and therefore needs good navigation skills in bad weather.

The white mounth circuit or the Munros either side of Glenshee are a good way to get your munro tally into double figures with minimum ascent/descent but they can be long days.

I like looking at the likes of An Teallach and Liathach but much prefer to bounding along the eastern Grampians

Very much so, I like the hills around my area, and the likes of Corrie Fee and Bachnagairn are wonderful places to walk. 

Took the dog to do the Cairnwell three yesterday. Used to love hillwalking but struggle to get out enough to maintain hill fitness these days so a very easy round of munros was nice. Need to look into a few more that have a high starting point for the dog as she isn't getting any younger (though is far fitter than I am).

20200719_153520.jpg