Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

I dunno, it said that is what they earned though, which to fight a court battle like that, would probably not be enough.

Why? Who are they going to instruct to represent them? Ally McBeal?

Unless you want an "evil company in John Grisham novel" size legal team, it really isn't that expensive for people of their means.

Guest Ron Burgundy
If the PJ are sure its the McCanns then the body MUST be somewhere nearby. On that basis, they must surely be able to find the body. If they can't even find a body that must be somewhere nearby then how can the evidence they have be relied upon?

Furthermore, if the evidence they have is clumps of hair and DNA in the hire car - that must mean the body was moved at least 25 days after the event - the police and the media have been pretty incompetent if the McCanns have managed to get a body into that car and theh drive somewhere close by and dispose of it!!

You would think that the PJ should be concentrating all their efforts into finding the body rather than trying to bring charges against the McCanns. If they can find the body then I would imagine everything will fall into place.

How difficult can it be to find a body in a small town like that with huge police resources on tap? Its not as if the McCanns will have had the time to to go to huge lengths concealing the body - they must have been pretty rushed.

that is assuming it's a complete body.

Whether they get charged or not, there is absolutely zero chance of them being convicted, unless they hire Lionel Hutz.

If it went to trial they would need to do a hell of a lot more than get a case dismissed because of circumstantial evidence...the watching world would need proof they didn't do it otherwise the story will simply never go away.

Guest Captain Saintsible

Unless you want an "evil company in John Grisham novel" size legal team, it really isn't that expensive for people of their means.

Most people live up to the income. They probably have a huge mortgage and large nursery fees for a start.

To start forking out for legal expenses when you are inncocent - on top of your daughter going missing, must be fairly stressful!

(The above doesn't mean I think they are innocent - I'm just looking at it from their point ofview if they are innocent. Of course, if they are guilty, then the possibly have a different view and will think its money well spent getting the best lawyers.)

But at the end of the day - surely the police must be able to find a body? If they can't find a body then - for me anyway - then I think it will be hard to prove anything. It will be incompetence of the highest order if the McCanns have done it and the police can't find a body considering the limited time they must have had to cover their tracks - in the full glare of the media!

Guest Ron Burgundy
Most people live up to the income. They probably have a huge mortgage and large nursery fees for a start.

To start forking out for legal expenses when you are inncocent - on top of your daughter going missing, must be fairly stressful!

(The above doesn't mean I think they are innocent - I'm just looking at it from their point ofview if they are innocent. Of course, if they are guilty, then the possibly have a different view and will think its money well spent getting the best lawyers.)

But at the end of the day - surely the police must be able to find a body? If they can't find a body then - for me anyway - then I think it will be hard to prove anything. It will be incompetence of the highest order if the McCanns have done it and the police can't find a body considering the limited time they must have had to cover their tracks - in the full glare of the media!

I did see a very strange report of a dutch private investigating firm who got donations from 100,000 dutch folk to go out and investigate the case....they are called Stongwood....all a bit weird....look up strongwod investigations on the net.

Stressful perhaps - undoable no.

People with large mortgages also have a lot of equity in their home. There are several ways to release this, to pay for legal fees.

If it went to trial they would need to do a hell of a lot more than get a case dismissed because of circumstantial evidence...the watching world would need proof they didn't do it otherwise the story will simply never go away.

You can say that about any case. It is virtually impossible for them to prove they definitively didn't do it unless they find the child alive and well, which isn't happening.

When was the last time Madeleine was seen alive before she disappeared? I'm not certain of this, but I'm assuming she was in the creche place all afternoon? How big a period of time was there between her returning to the apartment and her being reported missing?

Guest Ron Burgundy
When was the last time Madeleine was seen alive before she disappeared? I'm not certain of this, but I'm assuming she was in the creche place all afternoon? How big a period of time was there between her returning to the apartment and her being reported missing?

5-6 hours

4 hours from last being seen alive by anyone outside the familty and being reported missing.

What if it all went tits up early on, they realised what they had done and spent the intervening period disposing of the body? Then once all was gone and tidied up then they raised the alarm?

Maybe unfeasible, but not as barmy as some of the theories going around.

My personal view is that Kate did it and Gerry is either covering up for her or thinks she is innocent.

I am relaying what was in the paper today, dont shoot the messenger (unless its Stuart Dickson or Lochwinnoch Saint, in which case, fire away).

"The McCann's earn around 120k a year between them as doctors but have been on unpaid leave while staying on in Praia da Luz. Legal experts believe their is little to stop the couple using the fund, because the fund is a private business and not a charity. It means the McCanns, both 39, only have to get the consent of four of the firms six directors, who are all close pals. Two directors are relatives and cannot vote. Without the fun, the couple could face financial ruin, runding a court case which could rumble on for years."

Guest Captain Saintsible
You can say that about any case. It is virtually impossible for them to prove they definitively didn't do it unless they find the child alive and well, which isn't happening.

A body however may prove they didn't do it - if it wasn't the McCanns then there must surely be some evidence when they find the body which will prove that.

And the chances are that the body is local. If the police can't find a body then they really can't be doing their job properly!

Without the fun, the couple could face financial ruin, runding a court case which could rumble on for years."

Again, this is all dependant on who they instruct.

If they go for a high profile lawyer as is suggested they might, then if they are financially ruined because of this, that is their own stupid fault.

An even approaching competent solicitor could poke holes in this case, from what we know so far. Getting Joe Beltrami would be smashing a nut with a sledgehammer.

Again, this is all dependant on who they instruct.

If they go for a high profile lawyer as is suggested they might, then if they are financially ruined because of this, that is their own stupid fault.

An even approaching competent solicitor could poke holes in this case, from what we know so far. Getting Joe Beltrami would be smashing a nut with a sledgehammer.

I know that, im quoting it from the paper!

I would suggest though, that the media now know more than they are letting on, the tide is definetly turning on the McCanns.

Guest Ron Burgundy
I know that, im quoting it from the paper!

I would suggest though, that the media now know more than they are letting on, the tide is definetly turning on the McCanns.

good it might wash some flotsum and jetsum onto the beach with vital evidence.

actually it's just flotsum thats intentially thrown into the sea ain't it...any languagologists in the area?

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Guest Captain Saintsible

I see the PJ want to seize Kate's diary.

What are the expecting to find?

Monday: Went to the pool, had a great day, went out for dinner.

Tuesday: Sedated the kids, killed Madeleine, hid her in church, went out for dinner, pretended that Madeleine had been abducted.

Wednesday: Launched Find Maddie campaign

Thursday: Visited the Pope and hired a car.

Friday: Put body into boot of car, dodged the press and then dumped the body in some roadworks down the road.

Saturday: Went out for a jog while Gerry jetted off to the Edinburgh Fringe.

etc, etc, etc.

Edited by Captain Saintsible

I see the PJ want to seize Kate's diary.

What are the expecting to find?

I thought that was pointless too.

The only semi-reasonable excuse for it I heard was that the stories go she had a quick temper, and was prone to hitting the kid. Apparently her answer to this question during interrogation was unsatisfactory. Of course it is still unlikely she would bother mentioning this in the diary.

Beginning to sound like an Angela Lansbury story right enough.

The telegraph has a good article, 10 key elements.

1 Forensic evidence:

Last month samples were taken from the McCanns' holiday apartment and their Renault Scenic hire car and sent for analysis to the Forensic Science Service in Birmingham. After the test results reached Portugal last week, the McCanns were re-interviewed and declared formal suspects or "arguidos".

Reports alleged that the samples included large amounts of Madeleine's hair, as well as bodily fluids, recovered from the car boot.

2 Toxicology reports:

The Forensic Science Service is understood to have carried out toxicology tests on the samples to check whether Madeleine may have been drugged or poisoned.

Detectives are said to have asked the McCanns whether they sedated their daughter.

3 Interview transcripts:

The McCanns have been interviewed repeatedly by police since Madeleine went missing 132 days ago.

Last week, Kate McCann was questioned for 16 hours over two days. Detectives are reportedly unconvinced by the answers the McCanns gave to several key questions. The couple are also said to have exercised their right of silence on some questions.

4 Statements from the McCanns' friends:

The police must establish that there was an opportunity to kill Madeleine and for her parents to dispose of her body before charges can be considered. The statements of the seven friends who were with them on the night Madeleine went missing will be crucial in determining their movements.

5 Statements from other witnesses:

Dozens of other witnesses, many of them locals, have provided statements about what they saw on May 3 and how the McCanns behaved on holiday. They may include evidence from Pamela Fenn, who was in an apartment above the McCanns, and another witness who has allegedly described the way Kate McCann dealt with her children.

6 Phone tap evidence:

Police are said to have been bugging the McCanns' phones and intercepting their emails for weeks. Reports in the Portuguese press have suggested that some of their conversations may have contradicted statements they gave to police. One newspaper suggested that the phone taps had helped satisfy police that the couple believed their daughter was dead. Gerry McCann has told friends: "The police are listening to every word we say."

7 Background reports:

Portuguese police are reported to have spent considerable time investigating the McCanns' family background in a search for any evidence that they may have mistreated their children or have any hidden motive for wanting to harm them. Portuguese newspapers have reported something which the family have dismissed as an attempt to smear them.

8 Surveillance:

The McCanns are believed to have been under discreet video surveillance.

9 Videos of police 'cadaver' dogs:

Dogs trained to detect decomposing bodies are reported to have reacted to the "smell of death" in the McCanns' apartment, in their hire car and on Kate McCann's clothes. Police showed Mrs McCann videos of the dogs barking when they checked the car.

10 Timeline:

The police will have compiled a comprehensive timeline of events to explain who was where at what times.