Madeleine Mccann Missing Girl

The DNA had probably degraded so it wouldn't have been possible to match all of the components.

But then they would say it was a 100% match. 80% match means it was 20% different. Theres a contaminant there that makes it very wierd. (75% could mean a parent contaminated, but 80%?)

But then they would say it was a 100% match. 80% match means it was 20% different. Theres a contaminant there that makes it very wierd. (75% could mean a parent contaminated, but 80%?)

Mebbe they decided not to in order to avoid jumping the gun.

I wouldn't say "Its a 100% match" in a case as sensitive as this if I didn't know that as fact. :huh:

Mebbe they decided not to in order to avoid jumping the gun.

I wouldn't say "Its a 100% match" in a case as sensitive as this if I didn't know that as fact. :huh:

I wouldnt say 80% either. SUrely if you are not sure they will not say anything.

I would say 80% if they know that 80% matches her DNA.

80% normally gives the impression: "we're not sure" anyway.

If they know that 80% matches her DNA, they know that 20% doesn't match her DNA. :blink: so there is something very fishy going on there.

If they know that 80% matches her DNA, they know that 20% doesn't match her DNA. :blink: so there is something very fishy going on there.

No, they could know that 80% is a match but the remaining 20% is so decomposed that no scientifically reliable match can be obtained.

Still, if Philomena says they aren't doing their job, it must be true. :rolleyes:

No, they could know that 80% is a match but the remaining 20% is so decomposed that no scientifically reliable match can be obtained.

Still, if Philomena says they aren't doing their job, it must be true. :rolleyes:

If 20% of it is decomposed, they will not be able to reliably get any DNA evidence.

If 20% of it is decomposed, they will not be able to reliably get any DNA evidence.

If the base sequence matches on the other 80% then although it isn't a perfect match, it's a piece of evidence to go on.

It's certainly worthy of suspicion if nothing else.

Combined with the alleged match elsewhere in the car, and a case appears to be emerging.

If the base sequence matches on the other 80% then although it isn't a perfect match, it's a piece of evidence to go on.

It's certainly worthy of suspicion if nothing else.

Combined with the alleged match elsewhere in the car, and a case appears to be emerging.

Did they match the DNA via sequencing? :huh:

How the feck am I supposed to know? :P:lol:

I assumed you knew because you said they did. Are you guessing at this?

(edited to add:- i very much doubt it was sequencing btw, fingerprinting maybe but not sequencing)

Edited by bluetooner

I used the word:

IF

Reading the post would help, no? :huh:

Yes, you said if the base sequence matches 80% then it is evidence to go on, not if they did sequencing and it matches 80% it is evidence to go on. There is a difference in that.

Portuguese police say they have found firm DNA evidence that the body of Madeleine McCann was in the boot of the family's hire car five weeks after she went missing, sources have told Sky News.

Kate McCann leaves PortimaoSky crime correspondent Martin Brunt, speaking from Portimao, said police were "adamant" they had found the most "damning" evidence yet implicating either one or both of the McCanns in their daughter's death.

The evidence came in blood samples returned from the Forensic Science Service in Birmingham.

"Police say it is the most damning evidence that has been returned by the tests," Brunt said.

"It shows, as far as they are concerned, the presence of Madeleine's body in the car five weeks after she disappeared."

He continued: "The evidence suggests very strongly that it was not that her DNA had been transferred from clothing or from a cuddly toy.

"The allegation is that the DNA shows a full match of 99%. According to police, it shows the presence of Madeleine's body in the boot of the family's hire car five weeks after she disappeared."

A policeman delivers flowers to the McCannsHe said the sample of blood sent to the Forensic Science Service in Birmingham carried three matches of Madeleine's DNA.

Two were partial matches that came from the car and the windowsill of the family's holiday apartment.

The third was the full match from the boot of the car.

Meanwhile, papers outlining any evidence against Gerry and Kate McCann will be passed to the Public Prosecutor in Portugal, probably on Tuesday.

With the couple back in their home in Rothley, Leicestershire, the prosecutor will consider whether to lay any charges.

He will be considering the circumstances surrounding Madeleine's disappearance on May 3, Portuguese police spokesman Olegario Sousa added.

Brunt said the prosecutor had a number of options and may call for more evidence or advise on the investigation.

McCanns deny harming their childFamily spokesman Brian Kennedy, who is Madeleine's great uncle, said of the family: "They are holding up extremely well."

The Portimao-based prosecutor, Jose Cunha de Magalhaes e Meneses, will look at the DNA evidence as well as the statements given by the McCanns to see if there is a case against the couple.

Chief Inspector Sousa said Portuguese police decided to pass the file on to the prosecutor despite not having all the results from forensic tests being carried out in Birmingham.

The samples were taken from the McCanns' holiday apartment and hire car.

The McCanns have been told they could be called back to Portugal "at any time".

Under Portuguese law the couple could keep their arguido - suspect - status for up to eight months, although the prosecutor could decide to extend that to a year.

Portuguese detectives appear to be working on the theory that Mrs McCann killed her daughter by accident and covered up the death by claiming she was abducted.

According to reports in Portugal, police are to make new searches as part of the investigation.

Yes, you said if the base sequence matches 80% then it is evidence to go on, not if they did sequencing and it matches 80% it is evidence to go on. There is a difference in that.

The

IF

being used for both the type of analysis and the result. :huh:

Don't blame me for your misreading and general pedantry.

As long as it doesn't go down the whole "PR debate" route- that was fun. <_<:rolleyes:

The

IF

being used for both the type of analysis and the result. :huh:

Don't blame me for your misreading and general pedantry.

As long as it doesn't go down the whole "PR debate" route- that was fun. <_<:rolleyes:

Ok, anyway they wouldnt have used sequencing for this, it would take far too long to compare the results. They use fingerprinting to look at the DNA profile (different for everyone, 50% from mum, 50% from dad). That is why the 80% is very wierd, it means that 4/5 of the DNA is from Maddy :blink:

Guest Captain Saintsible

I'm sure I read somewhere once that the DNA of humans has a 98% match the DNA of chimpanzees and in fact humna DNA has a 60% match the DNA of bananas.

Maybe the simple explanation is that the McCanns had a chimp in the back of the car one day and it dropped its banana down the back of the seat???