Junior Cup Final Back At Ibrox

Guest naveed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about holding the final at Rob Roy so that RRG could say that his team were involved in the final!!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif good one !! probably closest we will get to a final alan mate

Always liked Somerset but it's a bit dilapidated which doesn't bother me but probably wouldn't suit the image the sponsors and stuff want to present.

It is limited to 10,000 so probably not big enough either, and the roof on the stand has penicillin growing on it..

Over 8000 officially when Talbot beat Bankies, there is no way that included VIPs, sponsors, guest etc most think there was a lot more than that, St mirren would be no use unless it was teams involved with small cup final supports like Pollok and Athurlie!

surprised no one has mentioned falkirk stadium as a final venue, slap in the middle between the east and west, great road links, penty of parking and a stadium that can hold almost 10k. okay for a ayrshire final the theatre of pies is ideal but otherwise I would go ffor falkirk

Brockville definitely used to work well as a semi-final venue with lots of neutrals showing up because like in Ayrshire interest in the junior game is reasonably strong locally but I suspect the new stadium is seen as being slightly too small (still under 10k) creating a danger of people having to be turned away if certain well-supported teams were involved. If people want the game played at a higher profile venue again maybe Tynecastle or Easter Road would be worth a try instead of Ibrox?

My preference would be Tynecastle. Scottish cup final in the capital city.17,500 capacity and the best atmosphere with the majority of fans right on/above the park.Of the 5 cup finals i have attended ,Dunfermline was the best by a country mile despite the Forth bridge repair works at the time being a huge pain in the erse time wise.

edited to add "despite my team will not be in it this year":( .

The S.J.F.A normally book 3 or 4 grounds at this time to cover the most appropriate ground for the eventual finalists.

Some of the senior clubs grounds are unavailable for various reasons and we have been fortunate over the last few years to have had great support from the clubs who have given the S.J.F.A permission to use their parks.

With re-seeding etc and general maintenance to be done it may be even more difficult this year to get a ground as the Emirates Scottish Cup will probably have to played in June due to the fact Scotland play on the last Sunday in May and its on the T.V.

However I am sure the Committee will get it sorted out to the satisfaction of most of us.

Probably the two games in 1987 between Auchinleck and Kilbirnie

Should add - there is more chance of it now as the games are no longer live on STV. Crowds jumped up a bit when they stopped televising.

BBC Alba won't have the same size of audience as STV.

Probably the two games in 1987 between Auchinleck and Kilbirnie

Should add - there is more chance of it now as the games are no longer live on STV. Crowds jumped up a bit when they stopped televising.

BBC Alba won't have the same size of audience as STV.

Obviously your not 100% sure of the attendance but if you are correct then that's almost a quarter of a century since there has been a crowd bigger than 10,000. For me it should be played somewhere that the max attendance is 10,000 which will give the game a good atmosphere, maybe somewhere like broadwood or at airdrie. Obviously you would need a bigger venue if there was a Cumnock, auchinleck final but the chances of getting that are unlikely.

Obviously your not 100% sure of the attendance but if you are correct then that's almost a quarter of a century since there has been a crowd bigger than 10,000. For me it should be played somewhere that the max attendance is 10,000 which will give the game a good atmosphere, maybe somewhere like broadwood or at airdrie. Obviously you would need a bigger venue if there was a Cumnock, auchinleck final but the chances of getting that are unlikely.

You missed the point I was making.

The first game televised live in 1977 the attendance dropped by 10,000 from 20,000+.

The first game not televised had an attendance of around 9,500 - who knows what the real attendance was, probably in excess of 10,000 by the time all the complimentaries are added in. Each club gets two tickets, so there's 320 although not all will be used.

Certain games have the ability to attract 10,000 now there is no longer the game on STV. Linlithgow-Bo'ness played through in the East. Auchinleck v another Ayrshire club in the West. Or Beith-Kilbirnie has the potential to attract a big crowd through neutrals attending.

The point is, they need a 10,000+ stadium if there is a potential to have a big crowd to enable it to be pay on the day and have the crowd segregated equally if need be.

You mean like Linlithgow travelling to Kilmarnock to play Largs?

Talbot had to play Nitten at Falkirk 1991, you win some you lose some, Also Talbot played Glenafton at Firhill 1992 which was crazy. I know I keep going on about it but Both recent finals involving Talbot had crowds of over 10,000, it was only that the people that were actually counted never reached that figure. We would really have the cat among the pigeons if Talbot played a final at St Mirren, there would no hiding the fact that more than 8000 were there when they have to turn people away, because that's what would happen. A lot of people thought Talbot had over 7000 themselves in 2006 and 2009, the authorities will know this and it would be a school boy error not to take it into account, at least off the record.

Archived