Spain V Portugal

Div

They only have themselves to blame - loads of talent but no bottle and no real work ethic when things go against them.

Plus Raul is only getting a game because of who he is - the boy is totally off form.

They would be as well sticking Eddie Annand up front ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ruggy Bairn
They only have themselves to blame - loads of talent but no bottle and no real work ethic when things go against them.

Plus Raul is only getting a game because of who he is - the boy is totally off form.

They would be as well sticking Eddie Annand up front ;)

I've supported them in every tournament which Scotland hasn't been involved in. Every time, mates ask who do you think will win it, I say Spain. Every year they say the same thing, bottle merchants, never deliver when it matters........... so true.

Raul = ghost. :angry:

Spain are playing much like Italy. Lots of talent but with only one striker up front and at times a distinct lack of creativity, hey are finding it hard to make their chances count.

They have bottled it as per usual but I reckon England fans would have wanted a Spanish vitctory as that would have meant they would be playing (in theory) the weaker qualifier from that group in Greece.

I think that's right isn't it? The runner up in Englands group plays the winner of Group A?

I still can't believe the changes Spain made to their team. Against the Greeks, even though they drew, they looked devastating and it was really only luck and one good finish that gave the Greeks a point. Tonight, from what I saw (first 30 and last 15) the Spanish were never really in it which surprised me as in the last 15 you'd expect them to be really going for it.

Morientes should definitely have started up front as he has been one of their players of the tournament and Valeron should've played some role.

I really quite enjoyed that game. nuno gomes for pauleta made a huge difference. Spain were a big disappointment but i had a feeling they would bottle it.

Portugal look very good defensively now.

If England finish 2nd in Group B, they'll thrash Portugal.

No chance.

Figo vs Gary Neville or Ashley Cole?? Yer having a laugh :P:P

The only way England would win that is if Portugal pick that utter waste of space Deco in the starting line up.

Honestly, that man is a fcuking disgrace. I really cannot abide players who motion to get others booked. And then about 5 mins later, he rolls about in 'agony' when the replay shows he wasnae touched.

I have to say, Barry Davies' commentary was excellent tonight. One can only shudder at the thought of how may times Motson would have talked about who England would play in the quarters.

No chance.

Figo vs Gary Neville or Ashley Cole?? Yer having a laugh :P:P

The only way England would win that is if Portugal pick that utter waste of space Deco in the starting line up.

Honestly, that man is a fcuking disgrace. I really cannot abide players who motion to get others booked. And then about 5 mins later, he rolls about in 'agony' when the replay shows he wasnae touched.

I have to say, Barry Davies' commentary was excellent tonight. One can only shudder at the thought of how may times Motson would have talked about who England would play in the quarters.

Figo is dreadful :blink:

Deco is decent, Ronaldo not bad. Take off your blue and white tinted specs and admit England are a good team. I dare you.

Deco is decent, Ronaldo not bad. Take off your blue and white tinted specs and admit England are a good team. I dare you.

figo is not dreadful. deco barely kicked a ball tonight while figo ran his socks off and played a vital role in the goal.

Barry Davies didn't mention England but you had to...... :ph34r:

David, if you look at it man for man, England are probably the poorer side. Figo and Ronaldo would have Cole and Neville for breakfast, Terry and Campbell would struggle to cope with Nuno Gomes (although they'd have Pauleta in their pockets) and forward runs from either Deco or Rui Costa.

In midfield, England may have the edge, although on the left side, they have absolutely no threat whatsoever. Beckham would need to improve a bit as well, but Lampard and Gerrard could potentially run the midfield.

The Portuguese defence can be shaky, but IMO Ricardo Carvalho could be tha man to keep Rooney quiet. I'm not too sure about Andrade though.

Add that to the fact that James is an accident waiting to happen in goals, and you've got a narrow Portuguese win (if they face each other) :D

Man for man I would say that both are pretty much the same but I think that unless Portugal ditch that isolated one up front then England would (should the two meet) get through that fixture so I'm actually (shudder!) with David here. Just! :P

I think England and Portugal are both limited sides in different ways - Portugal seem to be able to knock the ball about for half an hour at a time without getting a shot in, whereas England are too negative and brittle/rigid. If teams get in behind their midfield they are in trouble.

On balance I'd say that England would win. :ph34r:

You shouldn't be surprised at Barry Davies he is always excellent!

Agree about that Radford - at least he can talk about the game, not about 'other issues'. :rolleyes:

Archived