Group C On Tuesday

Fuctifano

A lot has been made of the fact that Sweden and Denmark can carve up group C with a 2-2 draw, sending the Italians out.

However, what happens if Italy beat Bulgaria 2-0 and the Scandinavians draw 1-1?

This means that Italy and Denmark will have the exact same results. I heard something about Fair Play tables being used, surely that's not right?

There are various ways it's done, including groups against the team you are tied with, goal difference, record in qualifying and the fair play stuff. Could even go to lots, though I think Totti's actions means Italy are screwed in the fair play stuff!

What I want to know is, why the heck are ITV showing the Italy game :angry:

There are more Italians in the UK than Scandinavians perhaps :blink::unsure: ?

There are more Italians in the UK than Scandinavians perhaps :blink::unsure: ?

No excuse to show a game that's definitely not going to be that exciting IMO. Denmark v Sweden has the makings of an excellent match.

No excuse to show a game that's definitely not going to be that exciting IMO. Denmark v Sweden has the makings of an excellent match.

it'll have to be exciting. Italy have to go for a win.

it should be on ITV 2 ;)

I know that its a big derby etc by why dont Sweden and Denmark just ensure the game finishes 2-2 ??? :whistle I accept that this is unsporting and totally corrupt but i'd reckon that both teams would rather italy went out !? ;)

As Kev put it above, it's only the teams concerned in the tie-break whose head to heads are considered. If Sweden- Denmark finishes 2-2, then their record vs each other is

Sweden F3 A3 Pts 2

Denmark F2 A2 Pts 2

Italy F1 A1 Pts 2.

Bye bye Italy...

Here's what the BBC says:

Group C situation explained

If Italy fail to beat Bulgaria, Denmark and Sweden will advance to the quarter-finals.

If Sweden do not lose to Denmark, Sweden will advance to the quarter-finals.

If Italy win their game against Bulgaria the winner of Denmark-Sweden will join Italy in the quarter-finals.

If Italy beat Bulgaria and Denmark-Sweden ends in 0-0 draw, Sweden and Italy will advance to the last eight.

If Italy beat Bulgaria by two goals and Denmark-Sweden ends in 1-1 draw, Italy will join Sweden in the knock-out stages. However if Italy beat Bulgaria by just one goal and Denmark-Sweden ends in a 1-1 draw, Denmark will join Sweden in the quarter-finals.

If Italy beat Bulgaria and Denmark-Sweden ends in 2-2 draw, Sweden and Denmark will advance to the quarter-finals.

In the event of a tie, Uefa criteria will be used to separate the teams.

Tie-breaker explained: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...004/3818337.stm

Guest Annfield Red
I know that its a big derby etc by why dont Sweden and Denmark just ensure the game finishes 2-2 ??? :whistle I accept that this is unsporting and totally corrupt but i'd reckon that both teams would rather italy went out !? ;)

Did something similiar no happen at a World Cup game between Germany and Austria :unsure: and from that point on both final group games were to be played at the same time.

The probablity of a 2-2 result is remote and I see that the Italian TV are sending a TV Crew to record the game in cases of a fix, but how do you prove it? If Denmark and Sweden want a 2-2 draw then that will be result. However if Scotland and England were playing and a 2-2 was needed, I'd rather go for it and knock the English out. ;)

Archived