P&b Running Club

I'd suggest just entering that 11k race this year. It's definitely achievable - once you get the breathing sorted out, you'll be able to run for much more than a couple of minutes without much bother, and you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes together with a wee bit of effort. It's good to enter a race to give yourelf a target - seriously, just go for it.

I'd suggest just entering that 11k race this year. It's definitely achievable - once you get the breathing sorted out, you'll be able to run for much more than a couple of minutes without much bother, and you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes together with a wee bit of effort. It's good to enter a race to give yourelf a target - seriously, just go for it.

Yeah I agree with this. You seem to have a good base level of fitness so you will be able to run 11k easily by that point Stu.

My breathing isn't too bad, the only problems arise when I start thinking about it. My main issue when making an arse of myself at any sport has been drinking enough water. I usually don't bother, which I'm guessing might start being an issue when I'm running longer distances!

Not really sure if this is the appropriate thread but I've entered the Kiltwalk in April. 26 miles from Hampden to Balloch and since I'm not very fit I've been starting my training with 10k power walks. I'm doing these at 1 hour 20 minutes at the moment and obviously looking to improve on that as time goes on. Does anyone have any experience of power walking and what a reasonable pace would be?

Also, is anyone else doing the Kiltwalk?

Reykjavik marathon sounds great. I was thinking of it as well as I fancy going to Iceland anyway, but probably a bit pricey this time.

Well the earlier you sign up, the cheaper it is... about 55 euro to register. Return flights from Edinburgh were only 120 quid each. However, there's only 1 Easyjet flight a week so you have to spend the whole week there. Haven't looked into accommodation yet, but I'm guessing that's where it'll be expensive. Luckily, since we're doing the marathon, it's not going to be a big boozy event!

Anyway, here's a heartwarming story about a dog doing a half-marathon...

http://runningmagazine.ca/adorable-surprise-racer-finishes-at-the-elkmont-half-marathon-in-alabama/

A good few days of running for me. Set a course PB of 19:08 at Kirkcaldy parkrun, finishing 4th (the fast folk clearly not there!) on Saturday and followed up with a good 7.5 mile run on Sunday. Out on the track for an interval session tonight so feeling pretty good!

Not really sure if this is the appropriate thread but I've entered the Kiltwalk in April. 26 miles from Hampden to Balloch and since I'm not very fit I've been starting my training with 10k power walks. I'm doing these at 1 hour 20 minutes at the moment and obviously looking to improve on that as time goes on. Does anyone have any experience of power walking and what a reasonable pace would be?

Also, is anyone else doing the Kiltwalk?

8 minute kilometres is a pretty fast walking pace tbh. My fastest distance power walks are only around 45 secs a km quicker, so you definitely already have good pace.

Socks, I'd be bigging up that parkrun win...I commend your modesty! Was that at Dunfermline? The Forfar run's meant to be a tough one.

I missed a couple of weeks before Christmas with illness, and that's sapped the pace. My 5k at Disney was 20:5x, and I was pushing! Intervals on the mud with the club tonight...wind in your face for the uphills, couldn't have asked for it any worse!

Stu - agree with the others, just go for it!

Strong running, true_rover.

Thought I'd have a go this morning to see just how far and how long I could run and walk for. The beginners' course I've been doing aims to have you going for 15 minutes or 2km. Managed just over 18 minutes and 2.25miles before stopping, although could probably have gone for a bit more.

Was listening to music and running for a song before turning so I didn't end up too far from home when I was knackered. Don't think I've ever heard The Cure or Oasis sound so slow :lol:

8 minute kilometres is a pretty fast walking pace tbh. My fastest distance power walks are only around 45 secs a km quicker, so you definitely already have good pace.

Cheers. I was pushing it a bit to do those times so I'm hoping to keep it up and knock time off each attempt. I'm not planning on doing the whole 26 miles at that pace but just hoping it will help build up fitness.

Stupid question guys - is power walking at pace harder than jogging or running for the same distance? It seems much easier to jog 10k than to power walk it but that could be psychological.

Socks, on 24 Jan 2016 - 22:20, said:

And you too - can't argue with a PB. Are you still on for D33 this year?

Looking okay for it, though not getting as many miles as I'd like during the week.

Also fearful of injury - you know that if you push a bit too hard and pick up a bad 'un, you're rooked for ultra distances...

That is 25 mins pace for 5k mate - really good for a new runner.

Didn't realise it was that quick - not much good running at that pace if I can only run for 20 minutes though!

EDIT: Did bang on 3 miles in just over 26 minutes today (Thursday). Had I realised it was so close to 5km I'd have done a bit more but I've only been looking at my distances and times when I'm finished.

Edited by Stu

Nah, Morrison, my parkrun win was at Kirkcaldy; have only done the Dunfermline one once and that was the very first one .

Back down there today and my time was just slightly slower! With melting slush most of the way round it would have been daft to push it, so was happy just to chat through bits of it and take it a bit easier than normal. Finished just outside 20 mins, and although my slowest time it was still a decent tempo pace so a worthwhile run.

I got a pair of trail shoes this week, as my first three races this year are next week's multi-terrain half that apparently includes bits in a field, then two proper trail races. I'm a wee bit concerned as I don't think I'll get a chance to run off road to break them in before next week, so might be a day of blisters! Still though, will be good to race again after what seems like an age since the last one in early November.

Bought some proper (admittedly dirt cheap) running tops yesterday so no turning back now!

Thought I'd try running from Paisley to Johnstone and back this morning to see if I could do it, knowing if I couldn't it wasn't too far a walk home. Was 6.5 miles in almost bang on an hour and, aside from about 30 seconds walking when I turned to come back, did it without stopping. Absolutely knackered and I really need to start taking water with me but quite pleased with that - although I admit just trying to run further and further each time I go out probably isn't the best way to do it.

That's a really good effort Stu for a relative beginner. To be honest when I was training for my marathon I just tried to run an extra 5 or 10% each time to build up my distance so I personally don't see any issues with your method. Other, more seasoned runners might have better advice but I would keep at it for a few more weeks and everything will click into place. You'll be chewing up 6.5 mile runs without even noticing. Honest!

That's pretty much the standard advice, ArabGaz/Stu - weekly mileage to increase by no more than 10% (rather than doing more every run!). Gives your body a chance to repair & adapt to what you're trying to make it do.

That's a great effort so soon, Stu. Keep it up.

18 miles at a surprisingly decent pace for me on Saturday was followed up with 30 mins at lunch today; 8 x 90s effort with 60s recovery. Wind behind me for half, and in my face the rest! Enjoyed it, though.

Forgot to say, glad you're enjoying the club running, Reina. To think you were nervous about joining!

Springburn parkrun this morning. First one in a good few months. Finished 10th in what I think was just over 20 minutes. Still way off my overall pb and even my best for that course but been doing a lot more exercise recently so hopefully get into a rhythm

Course was alright with some deep puddles up the back end that kept it interesting. My car keys flew off my shorts just before the final straight so that slowed me down a touch too! First time I got to use my snazzy new barcode wristband which I recommend ;)

Edit: 20.37. Thought i was a bit closer to 20 but that'll do

Edited by paul-r-cfc