P&b Running Club

On the subject of headphones our local Parkrun is trying to stop people wearng them, absoloute pain in the arse when you're trying to pass someone who's in their own wee world oblivious to all. I like wearing them when out on a long run but as others have said it's a distraction when trying for decent times and so on. 

I'm just back from my first 10K in ages. 55:26, a far cry from my olden-days PB of 44 minutes.

Would have been about 52 minutes if I hadn't shat myself on the way, though.

Think my wee lad has caught the bug. He had a forest race last night. He's a speedy little bugger! Only 6. Think I'll have to start taking him to parkrun...

We have a junior Parkrun for our local one 3-14 year olds or something, they must run them in Scotland too, big turnouts on Sunday mornings. i think it's a mile they do , might be a couple for the older ones.

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

Elgin parkrun only started a few months ago, so a junior parkrun is a while off yet.

There's a wee lad aged 8 who runs Elgin parkrun. He got a PB on Saturday - 20:10. Absolutely amazing!

Managed my first 10k on Tuesday, it wasn't fast or pretty but I've registered for a 10k in September so at least I've demonstrated I can do it, just a case of keeping going with the training now!

Nice one, Redhead.  Good work!

I'm just back from my first 10K in ages. 55:26, a far cry from my olden-days PB of 44 minutes.

Would have been about 52 minutes if I hadn't shat myself on the way, though.

Oh dear.  Hope you weren't wearing white shorts.

In other news, someone shared this on one of my running club's facebook pages.  It makes me sad: 

13179192_10153764151533893_5847355481112

Oh dear.  Hope you weren't wearing white shorts.

Multi-coloured Bermuda numbers.

It was a pretty uncomfortable three miles home.

Nice one, Redhead. Good work!

Oh dear. Hope you weren't wearing white shorts.

In other news, someone shared this on one of my running club's facebook pages. It makes me sad:

13179192_10153764151533893_5847355481112

Cheers! A wee start but something to work on - good to see other people's stories and experiences too. That FB thing is surely a wind up?!

Just go to the shops and pick up a cheap Garmin Forerunner 10 or 15 mate. They are the best cheap running watches imo.

Cheers Bishy. Went to PC World last night (I work beside it) only to find they don't stock them! But I'll get something before tomorrow. I know for a fact though I'll be checking my watch every 30 seconds on the half marathon.n

Elgin parkrun only started a few months ago, so a junior parkrun is a while off yet.

There's a wee lad aged 8 who runs Elgin parkrun. He got a PB on Saturday - 20:10. Absolutely amazing!

Get him drug tested.

Email just in from Lochleven HM. 

As many of you may be aware UK Athletics / Scottish Athletics are clamping down on runners wearing headphones whilst running.PLEASE DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES WHILST RUNNING ON OPEN ROADS.. The roads used during the race are open to traffic.If you can't hear cars/bikes/runners/marshalls you are a danger to yourself and others. In recent weeks many runners have been disqualified from races for wearing headphones. If you do wear them, and also run in races, perhaps now would be a great time to stop! To put on races we need to obtain a race permit from Scottish Athletics, and to get a permit we need to obey their rules (Rule 240 S 5, regarding headphones)

I take it slight issue with the implication that wearing headphones means you can't hear anything else. As I said before, I just like to hear a beat in the background to keep me motoring along and stave off the boredom. But the main reason I do it is to have a voice alert every 0.5km telling me my speed. If I set off too fast, I'll have no idea until I'm absolutely knackered later on. I realise that I could buy a watch etc, but I'd rather not spend that money when I don't have to. 

Part of the course is on a fast and fairly busy road, so personally I wouldn't have used headphones even before that email came out.

Tomorrow'll be my first attempt at the LLHM. People have been telling me this week that you have to run through swarms of flies (contrasting reports as to whether they are mayflies or midges, or both), and someone suggested wearing tights over your head to keep them out of your eyes and mouth.  But hey, a bit of protein can't do any harm!

Had a disaster at the Helensburgh 10k. Stomach felt a bit dodgy around the 5k mark (just after downhill stretch). Knew I was on course for a Paula Radcliffe, slowed down a bit and managed to starve off the real issues until 8k, where I bolted into a church hall and found a bog :(

5 minute pit stop roughly and a time of 47.51. I was round 5k in 20.40 so I was probably on course for about 42 mins, which would have been amazing. Weird thing is, I havent ran a 10k in 3 years, and not since I have been taking running a bit more seriously. So my time on Thursday was technically a PB...

At least there is Clydebank this week to make up for it!!