P&b Running Club

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Did a long run (just under ten miles) last night in preparation for the GSR. Absolutely brutal, felt really sluggish, heavy legged and my splits were terrible. Glad to have done it but going to need to improve.

Having said that I did a check and the same run took me longer when I did it in preparation for my last HM, where I ran a Pb, so maybe it'll be OK.

Had exactly the same distance and type of run you had on my Sunday run it was just a massive struggle in preparation of the Scottish half but also managed to strain my calf so gonna be touch and go now.You'll be fine we all get these horror runs now and then when you just feel awful, better getting it out the way now before the race,no pain no gain:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched GNR: Mary Keitany is unreal just now. She looks well capable of beating Radcliffe's records next year. Also, standard win for Mo, but fair play to Kiwi Robertson for having a go.

Back in the real world, I ran my quickest parkrun since March yesterday, and was still 2 mins off my PB! Still, felt okay, and the 15 miles total yesterday hasn't left me in bits today, and that was my longest run since May.

Four weeks to Chicago; starting to think I'll make it round without falling to pieces!

Guest bernardblack

Get the bad runs out the way now and the GSR will be a stroll....

I've had a few decent 10k's in prep but need a 10 miler before the run for a bit of a confidence booster

50 minutes ago, Reina said:

Keitany was amazing. I'm in total awe. And here's me chuffed to get round parkrun in under 30 mins yesterday. This IT band issue just will not get to f**k.

Get the foam roller on yer IT band, a bit painful to start with but it helped with my IT issue enormously.

Aye the roller does wonders, also stretch as much as possible.

I did the Run 4 business 5.5k in Köln on Thursday with my girlfriend, her first medal run. Said I'd run it with her and not f**k off way in front.
We finished in 40 minutes in what felt like barely above walking pace which was tough going, I've never had literally hundreds if not thousands of people run past knowing I could run beyond that pace considerably.
Still, was fun and got a lot of free beer after, as well as the finish being round the pitch at the Rhein Energie Stadium, that was fucking amazing.

9 hours ago, morrison said:

Just watched GNR: Mary Keitany is unreal just now. She looks well capable of beating Radcliffe's records next year. Also, standard win for Mo, but fair play to Kiwi Robertson for having a go.

Back in the real world, I ran my quickest parkrun since March yesterday, and was still 2 mins off my PB! Still, felt okay, and the 15 miles total yesterday hasn't left me in bits today, and that was my longest run since May.

Four weeks to Chicago; starting to think I'll make it round without falling to pieces!

Chicago is an amazing city. You'll enjoy it and I'm guessing the route takes you round the sights. Someone from Dumfries Running Club is doing it too.

Dumfries Half Marathon today in wind and rain and no headphones allowed was not a particularly tantalising prospect. Did it last year in 1:41.08 and was looking to improve on my PB at Stranraer which was 1:35:42. Did that comfortably with a 1:31:25, which was enough for 16th overall (third time this year I've finished there!). Delighted with that.

If anyone gets a chance, check out the Dumfries half marathon trace on Strava. It's slightly rude...

Under two weeks now before I run my first ever 10k race as part of the Baxters festival of running in Inverness.  Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.  :thumsup2

Anyone on here run the same event as me?  Just wondering if there is a warm up before the race starts? 

Under two weeks now before I run my first ever 10k race as part of the Baxters festival of running in Inverness.  Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.  :thumsup2
Anyone on here run the same event as me?  Just wondering if there is a warm up before the race starts? 

Pretty sure@Reina's run it a couple of times. They do a warm up before the marathon so I'm sure there'll be similar for the 10k.

Advice? Take it quite easy to start, which is harder than it sounds...high five all the kids & enjoy the atmosphere; it's guaranteed to be your best time so no pressure!

This might seem a strange question to which I guess everyone's answer will be 'no', but has anyone ever used an elliptical bike? They look a bit ridiculous, but after some research, it looks like it might be a pretty effective type of cross-training that replicates a lot of the running motion without the impact, and look miles better than those awful cross trainers in the gym.

I'm asking because after getting my hip op, the surgeon told me that as well as what he fixed, there is much more wear than expected for someone of my age, and that I'm in the early stages of arthritis. He says I can still run, but have to greatly limit it to only 10k or so a week to stop it wearing out too soon. It's a total sickener and there's no getting away from that, but I'm trying to find a way back with only a small volume of running with loads of cross training. I won't run a marathon again and maybe not even a half, but if I can stay competitive over shorter distances, it'll still be worth doing. I'm thinking I can probably do 1-2 hard but short runs a week, maybe alternating between hills and tempo runs, and replace long runs and other easy miles with something else. I think it's worth a go, and I'll give it a year to see if I can get anywhere near where I was. If I can get somewhere close to 40 for 10k I'll keep at it, if not, I won't.

Looks like I'm in good company though, as a quick scan of the last few pages makes it look like this has turned into the injuries thread since the days when I posted more often!

On 9/11/2017 at 11:00, tintax said:

I've done it 3 times I think - yeah there's a warm up at the start, but it's really busy so I usually do my own thing. Love the route - it's my favourite 10k. Got my PB there...

First weekend run for too long, managed 12 miles with a few hills in the back end and felt reasonably controlled all the way round.

Now the first one is out the way, time to get back into the old routine and cut back on the weekend bevvy after a lazy summer.

Plan to do Stirling Marathon again next year and am in the ballot for London again. Need something to make me get out during the shite weather over the coming months.

This might seem a strange question to which I guess everyone's answer will be 'no', but has anyone ever used an elliptical bike? They look a bit ridiculous, but after some research, it looks like it might be a pretty effective type of cross-training that replicates a lot of the running motion without the impact, and look miles better than those awful cross trainers in the gym.

They look like a first class way to draw attention to yourself! They do look like they'd be effective, mind.

Sucks to hear it sounds like there's no going back to the long stuff. Will be interested to hear how the shorter, perhaps quicker, sessions translate into 5k/10k results.

After a few years off I've started again. So far no pain in the knee or hip. Managed just under 6km in around 32 minutes the other night. Horrendous time compared to what I used to hammer in but I'm just happy there have been no ill effects. Doubtful I'll ever drop the minute odd per km I have lost, not even sure I am interested in doing it. If I can manage 10k again at some point, that'll do.