P&b Running Club

Good effort!

Cheers. Hope the injury clears up.

Need to get my pace sorted. I might buy a gps pace watch in the future as I started off far to quickly and was feeling it at the 7k mark.

Not sure if I should plan a half marathon for next year. Furthest iv ran is 11 miles to date but that was training for the 10k.

I'm getting back into the running to get fitter for football. Two questions - has anyone seen anywhere selling decent running shoes for a reasonable price and does anyone know of a running club i could join near shawlands? Google was not being helpful earlier.

It depends how much you want to spend. There are running shoes across the price range. If you have a sweatshop near you I think you can trade in old trainers. Also you can get gait analysis to see what support your feet need.

I'm getting back into the running to get fitter for football. Two questions - has anyone seen anywhere selling decent running shoes for a reasonable price and does anyone know of a running club i could join near shawlands? Google was not being helpful earlier.

Decathlon at the Glasgow Fort next to Morrisons has loads of running shoes. I think mine cost me £30-40.

For running clubs you could check Jogscotland they have clubs/groups in most areas. You also have the Glasgow Parkrun each Saturday morning at 9.30am which is a 5K.

I took running up around Feb for the same reason as you to get fitter for fives. I've noticed a big improvement in my fitness but no in my performance am still shite :lol: .

I went out last night for a 5K and managed to jog for the full distance for the first time so was well pleased! I'll hopefully take part in the Great Scottish Run next year give us something to aim for.

I picked up good Nike shoes at their factory outlet place at Sterling Mills. It's a bit hit or miss going to these places though. £35 they cost me.

I'm happy to report that my knee is feeling a lot better, just aches as does the rest of my body. I think I'll still get it checked out though. Captain Sensible's untimely return to the thread chilled me to the very core with his tales of multiple operations and taking up.....cycling *shudder*

While just pounding out the miles will get you fitter it will not help your performance. To run faster in a race you need to train faster. Some sort of speed session (intervals). Then you need a long slow run. This will get the body used to running distances. Then you need an endurance session along the lines of fartlek or tempo runs. An easy way of a tempo run is to run 22 mins at a steady pace and try and get back in 20 mins.

I also recomend a strengthening session working on the core. The legs are driven from the hips and if you have a strong core you will find it easier to run hard.

If you think I'm bad now, just wait till next week after I've done my course!

So far this week I ran 11 miles on Monday in a time of 1 hr 28 mins 25 secs. Forgot to take my water with me too.

Then I did a hills session on Tuesday.

Going for a 10 miler this afternoon. Should be fun in this wind.

Anyone use MapMyRun? It's very good.

Here's my route: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/10196249

Going out in half an hour but the lamp posts don't work which puts the place in total darkness, going to change it a wee bit.

I used to use MapMyRun but I find that the new site is too clunky and unresponsive. I prefer using the "Classic" site.

I've just been out a 5K. Miserable night for a run. Started using the Nike+ GPS app to log myself - much more advanced than the old Nike+ chip and sensor. The detail you can access on the Nike+ site is great, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Not been to get running shoes yet, might do it this weekend. Been wearing my old astroturf trainers which does the job but any more than a few miles on roads and my joints are killing the next few days.

Anyway tonight I ran a little over a mile in 6.22 as a warm up to a pretty gruelling hour of 5s before doing 8.07 on the way home. Going to do that park run on Saturday as well, gonna try for sub 23 mins for the 5k as a start point.

Did the GSR HM in 1.56 this year; a whole 10 seconds slower than last year!

I'm not bothered though as I actually felt a million times better than last year and had plenty left in the tank. Genuinely enjoyed bashing round at a comfortable pace. A hamstring injury a fortnight before had left me with no training runs until the GSR so the first couple of miles was reeeeally gentle, plus the traffic is grim.

I am nearly 39 and took up running last April for no apparent reason. I don't know why I did not do it before now to be honest. PB was 1.50 in the Islay HM this summer. Strangely, that was a much harder course than Glasgow.

Saw an Ayr United shirt in George Square, and a woman wearing an Annan Athletic bra! Also zoomed past a chap toting a St Mirren shirt on Mosspark Blvd. Anyone on here?

PS can anyone recommend a definitive way to avoid black toe? I have about 4 now and am sick of it. Size 10 feet and wear size 11 shoes. Are there special socks or tricks to prevent this? Probably just my awful amateur running 'style'.

PS can anyone recommend a definitive way to avoid black toe? I have about 4 now and am sick of it. Size 10 feet and wear size 11 shoes. Are there special socks or tricks to prevent this? Probably just my awful amateur running 'style'.

Wear trainers half a size bigger that you would normally. this will give you a bit more room and aviod any problems if you get any swelling when you run. It does go away, but can take a couple of months.

Managed an 18 mile run on Saturday but was absolutely shattered afterwards - felt like i could have selpt for a week.

Sunday was the 2nd of my 4 race challenge with the Cumbernauld 10k. Weather was horrible but managed round in a very comfortable 42 min 30secs (results to be confirmed). Paced myself a lot better that the half marathon last week which is encouraging with Loch Ness only being 3 weeks away