P&b Running Club

Nice one bud - mine was 54:39 and I'm ridiculously pleased with myself. First time I've done a sub 55 minute 10k and that was without training properly. I've not really been training properly since the half marathon in May, just kind of lost my enthusiasm for running a bit, but this has got me excited again... Next target - sub 50. :D

Nice one bud - mine was 54:39 and I'm ridiculously pleased with myself. First time I've done a sub 55 minute 10k and that was without training properly. I've not really been training properly since the half marathon in May, just kind of lost my enthusiasm for running a bit, but this has got me excited again... Next target - sub 50. :D

Cheers. Yeah I'm going to aim for that too. When I crossed the line is wasn't out of breath and could have carried on. The first 5k were a bit of a nightmare having to dodge around folk I was quite clearly quicker and fitter than, who for reasons only known to then, decided to go to the front.

57:17 for the Edinburgh 10k this morning. 2 minutes improvement on the Glasgow one a month ago, which I'm very pleased with given it's a pretty hilly route. Now sitting with my first beer in months, suspect I'll be asleep soon!

Well done Disco - quite a hilly course yeah?

Scarf, that always happens. You know what pisses me off even more though? People who bomb past you, then you end up overtaking them as they're walking about 5 mins later, then they bomb past you again, then they walk again. I feel like shouting at them "just run at a comfortable fucking pace and you wont have to keep stopping!!!" Rar! You should get a sub 50 min 10k quite easily with a bit of training :) Did you see the guy lying between the cars? Poor bugger :ph34r:

Well done Disco - quite a hilly course yeah?

Scarf, that always happens. You know what pisses me off even more though? People who bomb past you, then you end up overtaking them as they're walking about 5 mins later, then they bomb past you again, then they walk again. I feel like shouting at them "just run at a comfortable fucking pace and you wont have to keep stopping!!!" Rar! You should get a sub 50 min 10k quite easily with a bit of training :) Did you see the guy lying between the cars? Poor bugger :ph34r:

Yeah that as well is a pain in the arse. I saw some old chap getting medical help just before the bridge at Johnny Foxes. Looked like he had cramp.

Got a bit more motivation than I had a couple of weeks ago, I've been out fairly regularly since then. Doing my ol' programme of progressing from 4K to 10K runs in 0.5K increments and started last Monday.

Just finished the 7K slot, which took me 33:08. Hoping to get under 47 minutes by the time I'm up to 10K.

Oh, and well done to all who done the Edinburgh 10K this morning - that's a tricky, hilly course, not helped by the bottlenecks at the tight corners.

Well done to the runners at the weekend. The Edinburgh course looks good. Wish I could have done it. Damn work

Right lads, I want to get into running cos I'm getting fat. Can anyone recommend some decent shoes for it that aren't that expensive?

Nike, Asics, New Balance, Brooks......

You will get a decent pair out of sports world for reasonable money. I bought a pair of Nike trainers 4 years ago for £30 and still use them in the gym/treadmill.

You can pay what you want though. I just got the Asics Gel Nimbus 13 for £90 and Im not sure I notice where the extra money has went. A little more spongy but comfy enough.

Oh and last night I finally broke sub 20 min 5k on the treadmill (in the old Nike trainers). Thought I was going to be sick at the end :lol:

I'm hitting the road again tonight for the 1st time since the GSR. Hope my knees and ankles are up to it.

I'm now dreading the London Marathon ballot results.

Similar boat here - had all of September off since the GSR and debating whether or not to go for the GSR again next year, along with the Islay Half again, or sentence myself to training distances more than i can be arsed with, frankly, for a marathon next year. I turn 40 in 2012 so it might be a full one. *cries*

If I stick to my twice or thrice weekly 4/5/6 miles through the winter, how long does it take to ramp up to being prepared for a marathon? I found about 6 weeks of increasing distance was enough for the half.

Well thats what running a marathon feels like! I am still on a high after yesterdays event (fantastically well organised as well).

Very pleased with my time at 3 hours 31 minutes + some seconds.

Well done mate. Great time for your first. How was it mentally? I can imagine it being a hard battle. How long are you going to lay of the training? I read you should only do very light work outs for the 2 weeks after a marathon. I may consider doing a marathon at the end of next year but it fightens me a bit. Need to do a half first. Going to do the inverness and edinburgh half next march/april.

Similar boat here - had all of September off since the GSR and debating whether or not to go for the GSR again next year, along with the Islay Half again, or sentence myself to training distances more than i can be arsed with, frankly, for a marathon next year. I turn 40 in 2012 so it might be a full one. *cries*

If I stick to my twice or thrice weekly 4/5/6 miles through the winter, how long does it take to ramp up to being prepared for a marathon? I found about 6 weeks of increasing distance was enough for the half.

It depends on the training programme you use but 16 weeks is probably sensible

Well done mate. Great time for your first. How was it mentally? I can imagine it being a hard battle. How long are you going to lay of the training? I read you should only do very light work outs for the 2 weeks after a marathon. I may consider doing a marathon at the end of next year but it fightens me a bit. Need to do a half first. Going to do the inverness and edinburgh half next march/april.

I did the GSR for the first time last year - that was my first half marathon. After completing that I thought right a marathon is next. I would say that the half marathon doesn't prepare you for the sheer level of effort both in terms of training and the event itself.

Mentally I was doing great - I ran the first mile a bit quick at about 7minute pace but I stopped myself getting carried away with that and was averaging just under the 8 minute mile mark required for the 3hr 30mins finish. I even managed the big hill just after Dorres relatively comfortably passing alot of weary souls walking and shaking their heads. It was at about 23 miles that I started to slow noticeably - the miles just seemed to get longer and longer. The real killer was when I could see the finish at the other side of the river knowing that I still had over a mile to go. The final stretch was a doddle though with the crowds along the river side cheering me on.

I am taking this week off with just some stretching over the next few days. I might do the park run on Saturday but I will see now I am feeling.

The route along the east bank of loch ness is pretty sepcial and alot of the foreign guys were saying now much they enjoyed it.

Edit - Official time now in - 3hours 30 minutes and 52 secs. Well Chuffed!

Edited by diamonds2002

Right lads, I want to get into running cos I'm getting fat. Can anyone recommend some decent shoes for it that aren't that expensive?

Get yourself up to Run4It on Lothian Road, give them your budget and get them properly fitted, they're pretty good with beginners. I knackered my knees when I tried to take up running in a badly-fitted pair of trainers last year.

Oh, and well done to all who done the Edinburgh 10K this morning - that's a tricky, hilly course, not helped by the bottlenecks at the tight corners.

Cheers Gaz. It does get ridiculously tight at some points, esp at the Commie Pool exit of the park.