P&b Running Club

Well done Diamonds, brilliant! Would you do another one? It was fantastically well organised, wasn't it?

I'm still high as a kite after yesterday :D

Thanks Debbie - at 25 miles I said I would never do it again and 26 and 285 yards I was ready to go back to the start and run it again. I am now really disappointed that I didn't get into London.

Nothing to lose.

Diamonds - what an effort :D

Debs - good PB :D

Apart from the £15 registration fee! I got to the end and went Feck that!

Similar boat here - had all of September off since the GSR and debating whether or not to go for the GSR again next year, along with the Islay Half again, or sentence myself to training distances more than i can be arsed with, frankly, for a marathon next year. I turn 40 in 2012 so it might be a full one. *cries*

If I stick to my twice or thrice weekly 4/5/6 miles through the winter, how long does it take to ramp up to being prepared for a marathon? I found about 6 weeks of increasing distance was enough for the half.

I'd go for 20 weeks of steady progress, but you can do it in 15 at the very least. I always fancied a Marathon, but after planning my training I don't think that running 3-4 hours at a slow place in preperation for this put me off.

Oh, has anyone else entered the ballot for this yet? :D

I have!

Jeezo, how hard is it in Autumn/Winter to know you're going out a run at night, spend all day looking out the window at the crap weather, and keep your motivation up?

Very hard.

I usually need to enter a race to stay motivated at this time of the year.

Just back from 7.5KM.

I hate running in the wind.

It's fucking rubbish. It almost pointless even attempting a run.

The logical part of me says that on my big loop of a run, in a wind I must get as much benefit as I get deficit.

However, practically, why does the fecking wind always seem in your face, no matter how many times you change direction?

I'm like the previous few opinions, given the choice of rain or wind, I'll take getting wet every time.

I actually quite like running at this time of year. I really dread going out, but once I've been out and I come back in for a hot shower, I feel brilliant. Also, I joined my running club this time last year which helped keep me going.

I also prefer autumn/winter running - it just gets too hot in the summer!

Depleted numbers at JS last night - even although it ended up dry and less windy when we were out :)

The only thing I dont like in the winter time is when the leaf mulch freezes and it's difficult to keep your feet.

Running when it's snowing is fantastic especially in the morning when it's quiet (not like last november though - that would be pants).

This is the time of year I think "what races do I want to do next year?" and "what events do I want to do I want to do next year?".

I'm doing the Cross-country races and measuring myself against what I did last year.

I'm focusing on the 3000m Steeplechase next year. I improved from 15:07 down to 13:41 last year. This year I will be looking to get close to breaking the 13min barrier. So I have 6 months to put the work in. I will be keeping my focus sharpened by doing at least 1 race a month.

For running the in these conditions I spend longer warming up. It's high frequency, intensity and volume. So faster, more and less rest between reps. If it's wet, has slipply leaves or a foot of snow I put my spikes on and run round the fields. Oh, I also will be running around the edge of the farmers fields.

Got a pair of running shoes today. Was wondering though, how much is a good distance for someone who hasn't done any exercise for about 5 years to start off with? I'm not fat but I'm definitely unfit. I had to sprint about 200 yards for a train a few weeks ago and I almost spewed.

Just start jogging! Don't set yourself a goal the first time, just see how far you get and how you feel.

In subsequent jogs, aim for one lamppost further, once more round the block than the last time or whatever suits. It's amazing how quickly you will build up. From feeling great that you make a mile without stopping to going 3,4,5 miles will take less time than you think.

Just keep your mind on the positives: lower b.p., getting rid of the belt overhang, your mrs admiring your newly steeled buns, whatever you need to drive you on! :)

Well, having had nearly 5 weeks off since the GSR, my longest break for over 18 months, I ventured out tonight in the persistently pishing Perthshire precipitation.

Did a cheeky wee hilly 4.3 miles in a couple of minutes slower than I was knocking out in the summer but legs not too bad.

What is that stringy saliva you get after a lay off though? bleurgh! :yucky:D