P&b Running Club

I agree about the GNR being great at the start and great at the finish. Once you get past Heworth Metro you have a long stretch to Jarrow with no "crowd" to support you. The crowd seemed to be flat this year until you got near the coast road. At least it wasn't too hot this year. If you took water at the Hospital or the 11 mile mark I hope they were ok with you, if not I'll put them in extra training!

That was an utterly shite route. We were only in the actual city for about 3 fucking miles :lol:

The straight run out to that country estate (i've forgotten it's name) and back into Musselburgh was absolutely soul-destroying, especially when my IT band flared up.

Thundermonkey, Halfaperson, TM's cousin and myself took part in the team relay in May this year. Guess which part I did :lol:

Thundermonkey, Halfaperson, TM's cousin and myself took part in the team relay in May this year. Guess which part I did :lol:

:lol:

Fucking hell.

I've just had a look at the 2012 route map. It's almost exactly the same, other than the finishing mile or so looks a little different. Shite.

Having said that, i'll probably end up entering the fucker again.

I actually quite liked the half marathon course (apart from the shambles at the end) - I take it it gets a lot worse when you pass the half marathon turning point?!

Tri was good fun yesterday, but I'm a shocking cyclist. My run and swim times had me in the top 20 (out of 50 competitors) overall... but my cycling time took me down to 41st in the end :ph34r: Dreadful!

Nearly had an utter disaster there.

I'm building up again to 10K distance after focusing on 5Ks for a while. Went out tonight to do a 6K and planned on getting the train from Falkirk High to Polmont and running home.

Walked up to the High for the 9:22pm train and just by sheer chance I looked at the electronic board at about 9:21pm to see that it didn't stop at Polmont!

I'm not quite ready again yet for the distance home from Linlithgow, so thank goodness I noticed :lol:

That would be a good 10kish.

I've ran home from Linlithgow along the canal several times before. From the canal at Strawberry Bank (just up from the train station) to the 'exit' next to the Grange Centre is pretty much exactly 10K. When I used to live in Laurieston it was a good 13K home. Now I'm in Falkirk it'll probably be about 16K.

Had I gotten on the train last night and ended up in Linlithgow I wouldn't have run along the canal as it'd have been pitch black, so it'd have been a straighter road. Even tanking it along the A803, Map My Run shows it as being just a tad over 13K. Think I'd have struggled with that distance at present but I should hopefully be capable of it in a few weeks time.

Aye that was me. Still planning on heading along on Saturday no doubt wearing another or the same Clyde top in case you are there and want to introduce yourself. I got there quite earlier last week so was just standing about like an eejit until the race started was still half a sleep the 9.30am start is a bit early for my liking.

If I am down again I will say hello.

I'm hitting the road again tonight for the 1st time since the GSR. Hope my knees and ankles are up to it.

I'm now dreading the London Marathon ballot results.

I have got the Loch Ness Marathon this Sunday and I am dreading the results of the London ballot too. I am fed up with the level of training I have had to do for this one and I am not sure I could face the long runs over the winter months. I might be reinvigorated this time next week but I think this could be my first and last marathon

London would be my 3rd and although I promised myself I'd train to break 4 hours I just can't stomach the thought of it right now.

It ain't the weather that will put me off. I just felt that training to go 1hr 45 in the half was in the end too much for me physically. I can afford the time to put in the runs, I don't think I can afford the time to build up the core strength needed to get the most out of the training.

I know that sounds all wrong but maybe I'm happy to be a plodder.

London would be my 3rd and although I promised myself I'd train to break 4 hours I just can't stomach the thought of it right now.

It ain't the weather that will put me off. I just felt that training to go 1hr 45 in the half was in the end too much for me physically. I can afford the time to put in the runs, I don't think I can afford the time to build up the core strength needed to get the most out of the training.

I know that sounds all wrong but maybe I'm happy to be a plodder.

Nothing wrong with being a plodder, so long as plodding makes you happy! I'll never be anything but a plodder, so I just take pleasure from small 'landmarks' (bit like being a fan of a diddy football club), like every time I set a PB for my favoured 10k. Have broken 49 minutes twice now, and I'm now seeing if regular runs help me get under 48.

So long as I can see tangible improvements, or even no regression seeing as I'm now nearer 50 than 40, then if that's plodding then I'm quite happy to be a plodder.