P&b Running Club

I managed 20k run yesterday so I'm only a kick in the arse short of the half marathon I'm working towards. The last 2k can only be described as a stagger however, and I was at that point where I was praying I didn't have to stop at a road crossing, I don't think I'd've got my legs going again if I had.

After the GSR 10k, Mrs Ranter suggested I aim for the half marathon in 2012, and I told her that was a mental idea. However I'm quite chuffed to be at that distance within 3 months, and I reckon it's do-able after all.

Winter is officially here. Weather is shitey. So I just bought a pair of Meggings (running leggings). Will be sporting these at the park run tomorrow along with gloves and a hat. Not done much training (no intervals or hills) this week so I expect to run around the 21minute mark. Would love to get under this though.

Snowing here. Haven't got any running plans this weekend yet... have a bit of a niggle in my right knee (after going over my ankle and stumbling to get back upright properly before falling at the weekend on the trail run I did...) so might not go out at all and give it a rest. Did a great speedwork session at the club last night - same as 4 weeks ago, but the improvement was really noticeable.

4th X-C race of the season today and another improvement on the time. Last year I did 39:17 and this year I did 38:40. Not a massive improvement, but my training has lapsed a bit as I've concentrated on coaching. Something I am remedying now as I am planning my calender for the next track season. 5 more X-C races and a few more races thrown in between now and April to work on my stamina, but I will be working on my hills, strength and speed in the coming months.

Any runners on here ever developed shin splints? I seem to have ramped up my milage too fast and they've been crippling me for the last week.

I had them when I ramped up the milage. I was ok when I was running, but it was when I was walking or starting to run. Only advice I can give is to run through it. Walking around in bare feet is another thing that may help. It's your muscles in the lower leg pressing against the shin bone as they grow. Also standing on your heels and point your toes up (use something for balance). I warn you that this may hurt like hell, but it will help. Part from pain relief there is not much left to advise. You can try Ice baths, but hell, they are extreme.

I had them when I ramped up the milage. I was ok when I was running, but it was when I was walking or starting to run. Only advice I can give is to run through it. Walking around in bare feet is another thing that may help. It's your muscles in the lower leg pressing against the shin bone as they grow. Also standing on your heels and point your toes up (use something for balance). I warn you that this may hurt like hell, but it will help. Part from pain relief there is not much left to advise. You can try Ice baths, but hell, they are extreme.

Run through shin splints? That is just horrendous advice.

What the actual f**k!?

I felt quite weird on that run yesterday. It was like my legs were more or less at their limit, but core fitness wise i felt i had a few more km in me. Is it just a case of running that kind of distance regularly until my legs feel stronger?

I felt quite weird on that run yesterday. It was like my legs were more or less at their limit, but core fitness wise i felt i had a few more km in me. Is it just a case of running that kind of distance regularly until my legs feel stronger?

If you are running 10k then you should run 12-14k at a slower pace, like 2 mins per km slower then your target pace. This will get your body used to running that distance. If you body and legs are used to running 14k at a slower pace then running 10K will be easier. You can also do 7k at the slower pace then increase the last 3k at your normal pace. Another alternative is to tempo run. Start off the first 3k at slow pace, do 4k at your normal pace, then 3K back at the slower pace. That's the stamina side covered.

If you want to speed up then do 3-5K flat out. Or you can break it down to 1K hard, 1K easy. I'm talking trying to go hard and use your recovery. The only way you will get faster is to train faster.

If you are running 10k then you should run 12-14k at a slower pace, like 2 mins per km slower then your target pace. This will get your body used to running that distance. If you body and legs are used to running 14k at a slower pace then running 10K will be easier. You can also do 7k at the slower pace then increase the last 3k at your normal pace. Another alternative is to tempo run. Start off the first 3k at slow pace, do 4k at your normal pace, then 3K back at the slower pace. That's the stamina side covered.

If you want to speed up then do 3-5K flat out. Or you can break it down to 1K hard, 1K easy. I'm talking trying to go hard and use your recovery. The only way you will get faster is to train faster.

Cheers, but I'm not too fussed about speed at the moment. I'm more talking about the fact that after about 9k my legs/hips felt like they were going to drop off, but even after 11k my stamina had a good bit left to give.

Back offshore so back on the treadmill. Went for 10k and did a time of 42:16. Pretty pleased with that although I was blowing out my hoop.

Anybody else doing the marcothon? Seen the group on Facebook and it's a challenge to run everyday in December. At least 25 minutes or the time you can do 5k in. I'm going to go for it as it should get the miles on the legs for the couple of half marathons I have planned for next year.

Did 4 x 1K efforts today. kept them all at 4mins 10 pace. I did 2K at the end in just over 8mins, but they killed me. I will be doing a long run on Sunday. I say long, but it;s only 6 miles. After half marathon training it'll be a breeze. Then doing weights tomorrow and Sat with a lot of stretching and core work. Next week it will be weights on Monday, hills/steps with 640M laps on Tuesday. Weights on wed. Continous laps really easy with 2 x 20M efforts on Thursday. Friday will be a rest day. Next Sat is the North Eastern Cross Country Champs, so that;s about 12K over a boggy, undulating course. I'm hoping for a time under an hour.