P&b Running Club

Ran the local half marathon this morning. Did it in a time of 1:33.07. Slightly disappointed at not getting under the 1:30 mark but its my best time for a half marathon so can't be too unhappy. Felt pretty good for most of it but ran out of energy towards the end. What does everyone recommend eating before a race? Think having something more substantial than toast would've helped me today.

Good time CG

I just have a big plate of porridge about 3-4 hours before a big run.I am always wary of eating to close to the start of a race as the inevitable will happen,it's never happened to me during a competitive race,but i do worry about it before the start.Everyone is different though,you just have to experiment on your training runs,but i do think you need more than toast for such a long run

So you gave me 200m of a head start and still beat me (I came 18th).

Absolutely delighted with my run. It was a new PB by about 50 secs and it's the first time I've gone sub 20 minutes.

I set off a bit quick. 6 minutes for the 1st mile, 6.26 for the 2nd and then barely made it to the end :lol:

It might have been nearer 300m (sorry) got a time of 19mins 50secs and my garmin read 19:29 for the 5.2k

Upset I didnt make the start as I am now convinced that I would have dipped below the 19 minute mark

Just back from my first run in a while. Did 5k in 23 mins and fairly happy with that and 10k on Tuesday (but forgot to record the time).

Anyone else prefer running at night rather than day? My two other running friends both prefer to do their runs before starting their day whilst I'd rather run at night.

FInished 4th in a Pentathlon a few weeks ago. 18:59 for the Discus, 4:38 for the Long Jump, 29.9 for the 200m, 14:50 for the Javelin (this is where I missed out on a medal) and then 2:43 for the 800m.

Been training hard for the X-C season that starts this Sat. It's a 5.51 mile course with a few hills. Since it's been pee'ing down here the ground is likely to be churned up good. Hoping to get under 40mins, if close to 38mins for this.

Had a good week coaching. One of my clubs U-17 althletes won the the Junior Great North Run. We had the 4th Under 13 boy too. The athletes I coached did well, getting around the 4k course between 17 and 30 mins. I'm more chuffed that the kid that finished 7th last managed to run the 4k as he couldn't run 500m last year. I got most of my athletes finished between 20 and 40th place, so really happy.

5 x 1k efforst - All between 3:40 and 3:50.

20mins effort.

3 x 10mins of 500m hard effort with 500m recovery with 5mins rest.

Training has been 2 x 4k efforts with 4mins rest between sets. 16:21 for the 1st and 17:01 for the 2nd.

3 x 8mins effort with 4 mins rest.

6k efforts (easy, easy, steady, hard, steady, easy).

Nice one Ziggy!

Anyone else do the Strathclyde Parkrun today? Didn't seem to be that many out today. I finished 34th with a time of around 23.05, which is a new PB for me so I'm fairly chuffed with that.

Was at the Edinburgh Parkrun this morning with one of the guys from work. I was 30.40 for 5k but my official time will be about 31mins as I started in the middle of the pack so actually ran 5.06k. Its and out and back course and the wind on the way back was really strong so that ended my chances of getting under 30mins for another week dry.gif. My mate ran it in 19.20 but was aiming to get under 19 so we both missed our targets.

I'll be back at Strathyclyde next Saturday for Pacer Saturday, they have pacers out for the first run of each month, and I've just went and signed up for the BUPA Great Edinburgh Run for next Sunday. Anybody else from P&B running it?

Right leg completely siezed up halfway round the marathon yesterday, then everything else gave up a mile or so later. Not entirely sure how, or why, I finished...

How good did it feel crossing the line? I cant believe it was a year ago I ran my first (and only) marathon