P&b Running Club

I think I've linked to this before, but it's really useful. One of the big mistakes people make is running their long, slow runs too fast. I definitely improved as a runner when I slowed them down. Training pace calculator. It gives a breakdown of different types of training runs, too.

Thanks for this. Going by the calculator I am way too committed (i.e. fast) in my training runs so am going to abide by this for a while to see if my times further improve. I find not running at full pace difficult but will give it a bash.

The one thing that it doesn't answer is how long an easy run should be? I assume 8-10k plus? Long runs I would assume 15k plus?

I think I've linked to this before, but it's really useful. One of the big mistakes people make is running their long, slow runs too fast. I definitely improved as a runner when I slowed them down. Training pace calculator. It gives a breakdown of different types of training runs, too.

Excellent advice.

Thanks for this. Going by the calculator I am way too committed (i.e. fast) in my training runs so am going to abide by this for a while to see if my times further improve. I find not running at full pace difficult but will give it a bash.

The one thing that it doesn't answer is how long an easy run should be? I assume 8-10k plus? Long runs I would assume 15k plus?

I was guilty of running too many of my training runs too quick, then I got injured. However it's not just about injury prevention, there are also some beneficial physiological changes that occur when you are training at about 70% of max heart rate that won't occur if you are constantly training at say +80% of heart rate. Mixing up the training intensities will get you even faster.

The answer to the question about how long an easy run should be really depends on what distance you are training for. When I was training for a marathon then my schedule had some easy/recovery runs of up to 8 miles, however I wouldn't class that as a easy run now. The general rule for an easy run is that you should feel better afterwards. If you feel more tired after it then you have either gone too far, too fast or both.

Some people recommend that for easy runs its better to focus on time on feet rather than distance.

Excellent advice.

I was guilty of running too many of my training runs too quick, then I got injured. However it's not just about injury prevention, there are also some beneficial physiological changes that occur when you are training at about 70% of max heart rate that won't occur if you are constantly training at say +80%  of heart rate. Mixing up the training intensities will get you even faster.

The answer to the question about how long an easy run should be really depends on what distance you are training for. When I was training for a marathon then my schedule had some easy/recovery runs of up to 8 miles, however I wouldn't class that as a easy run now. The general rule for an easy run is that you should feel better afterwards. If you feel more tired after it then you have either gone too far, too fast or both.

Some people recommend that for easy runs its better to focus on time on feet rather than distance.

Thanks.

Tried the VO2-max on treadmill tonight. Amended it slightly from 6 x 800m at pace to 7 x 800m (at 16.9km/hr - 3' 34"km pace) and did 3 mins at 10km between each to it it into 40 mins exactly including speed changes etc and 1 min cooldown). Found it not too bad and a good change up from normal training. Going to try an easy run tomorrow for an hour at 12.55km/hr (4' 47"km pace).

Yep, I was doing long runs too fast and other sessions too slowly. Once I'd worked that out, my times in races got better. I'm still not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but they were heading in the right direction!

Did a 10k in 43:30 last night. Chuffed. Dunno what time to aim for in the upcoming half, maybe 1:40?

There is a couple of race calculators, you can use, which estimates your half marathon time based on your 10k time etc.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp?metres=10000&hr=0&min=00&sec=00&age=38&gender=M&Submit=Calculate

Edited by Jack Burton

Went for a run yesterday but had to walk 2 miles home due to fear of shitting myself! :(

This is a common problem for some runners, nothing like a run to get the bowels moving

When i'm in an organised 10k or whatever the thought of 'needing to go' during the race is always a worry,hasn't happened yet thankfully and hope it never does

Had the same bother this morning, felt like I was going to 'evacuate' all over the gym floor but thankfully didn't. The only other thing that I need to add from this morning is that I thought I was doing really well until I felt my poor wee nipples being rubbed into oblivion (something that I have never experienced before). I left the gym with a swaggering confidence having completed my impressive (not really) workout only to realise when I was in the changies that I had walked through a busy gym with A) A white footy top on, and B) I had little bloody nipple marks on said football top. A huge amount of retrospective embarrassment followed. I don't know if I can go back, I will be forever seen as the 'ginger nipple bleeder'.

Anyway on a serious note, whats the best remedy for 'runners nipple' or whatever people call it?

I'm sure I've seen Vaseline mentioned.

Personally, I put a little bit of that white bandage tape stuff on before going out.

My worst was the day I did big run in a downpour ( I love running in the rain ) - I came home with a red #11 on my front. My nips were tender for a week.

Just typical - had a slight strain for Paisley 10k and now have the cold ahead of Bella 10k. This after being perfectly fine in the buildup. With any luck I will be better by Sunday!

Unfortunately missed Bella 10k in the end - am too ill to do myself justice. Looking at signing up for the Kilmacolm 10k in a fortnight as a replacement race. All depends on when I can start training again though!

Unfortunately missed Bella 10k in the end - am too ill to do myself justice. Looking at signing up for the Kilmacolm 10k in a fortnight as a replacement race. All depends on when I can start training again though!

Sorry to hear that,the Stirling 10k is on the 15th Sep as well. Nice flat course.

2 hours and 2 mins for the St Andrews Hospice 18k today. It's the furthest I have run so far and was using at as a training run for the Dumfries half marathon so happy just to get round and felt comfortable at the end so should manage the half marathon ok.

Sorry to hear that. you were probably right to skip it though, as youd have been pissed off at your performance.

It was pretty windy and I ended up getting called into work yesterday evening and didnt get home till 4am this morning, so was shattered. Ran out of steam half way in. reckon I was 51.40ish. Grr.

Had the same bother this morning, felt like I was going to 'evacuate' all over the gym floor but thankfully didn't. The only other thing that I need to add from this morning is that I thought I was doing really well until I felt my poor wee nipples being rubbed into oblivion (something that I have never experienced before). I left the gym with a swaggering confidence having completed my impressive (not really) workout only to realise when I was in the changies that I had walked through a busy gym with A) A white footy top on, and B) I had little bloody nipple marks on said football top. A huge amount of retrospective embarrassment followed. I don't know if I can go back, I will be forever seen as the 'ginger nipple bleeder'.

Anyway on a serious note, whats the best remedy for 'runners nipple' or whatever people call it?

I too have suffered the indignity of the nipple stigmata on a white top. Best to view it as a badge of pride - especially when you are weeping in the shower as the water send stinging electric bolts through your body.

I put plasters or micropore tape over my nips now.