P&b Running Club

I really need a waterproof jacket and will probably get one soon. My wife has a Ron Hill one and loves it.

I decided not to brave the weather so did 10 mile on a treadmill whilst watching the Great North Run. Started quite slow (1st couple of miles were 9 minute pace), gradually increased the speed and ended up doing the last couple of miles at sub 7 minute pace.

That run brings my weekly mileage to 29 and I'm starting to think I should be in good enough shape to have a good go at the Glasgow Half.

It should feel easy when you are trying to increase the distance you're running. Keep trying to slow it down. Maybe you could do 3-5k at the easy pace followed by another 5k at your usual pace.

Thanks, I'm going out on Tuesday and I'll try and slow it right down for the 1st 3-5K and see how I go. Thanks for feedback, its apreciated!

GNR was good. I really hilly course. Took me 2 hours 35 minutes I reckon. That's without any training so never again!

Well done mate - I don't envy anyone running a distance race in those types of conditions. I was considering doing the Kilmacolm 10k (as a replacement for Bella 10 which I missed through illness) but decided against it when I saw the weather.

Just did a Parkrun at Tollcross on Saturday instead. Was a bit of a farce as somebody jumped in front of a prior train and I had to jog to and from Belgrove train station (2 miles each way) and only got there 2 mins before start. Ended up doing it in 19 mins 47 secs, which is 25 secs outside my pb, but not too bad considering the rather unusual prep.

You done well at that if that's your prep for the race, bishy. the course record fell by a country mile yesterday.

Amazing the conditions yesterday compared to today. I done the Stirling 10 and was decidedly average - wore my waterproof but wished I hadnt after 5 minutes in - despite the high wind and rain it wasnt actually that cold. I was soaked and roasting! Nothing like a right good soaking to tear yer nipples to bits on a run. Ouch.

Was out on Saturday morning, managed just under 13km in 1:09, which is roughly the pace I'm aiming for training wise. Was a bit of a struggle from around 7km onwards though, which is a bit annoying as generally I've been feeling very strong towards the end of all the 10km runs I've been doing recently. I did work 16 hours on Friday, and was out early doors off the back of only 5 hours kip, so I'm not overly worried. Might switch my long runs from the Saturday morning to midweek evening to counter those conditions, as I usually have to do the same when it comes to work on a Friday.

Just been for my first run in a fortnight after a stinker of a cold. Did 35 minutes at a very easy pace to make sure the legs still work.

3 weeks to the GSR, anyone else doing the 10k or are most people doing the half? Any tips for the course? This is my first time so quite excited

Has anyone done the Cumbernauld 10k? what's it like? It's on sunday and I was thinking of using it as a practice run. Looking at last years times I would be pretty near the end! Have to decide today!

Managed to get 10 miles (16km) done in 1 hour and 20 minutes) over quite a flat course so relatively happy with that, especially after having a cold during the week . My gps tracker on my phone died half way through which was exceptionally frustrating. I need to work on my consistency and my pace but I'll get those over time I think. It should be interesting to see how things pan out during the winter.

Just been for my first run in a fortnight after a stinker of a cold. Did 35 minutes at a very easy pace to make sure the legs still work.

3 weeks to the GSR, anyone else doing the 10k or are most people doing the half? Any tips for the course? This is my first time so quite excited

Has anyone done the Cumbernauld 10k? what's it like? It's on sunday and I was thinking of using it as a practice run. Looking at last years times I would be pretty near the end! Have to decide today!

I have done the Cumbernauld 10k couple of times. Not the most pictuesque course and there is a decent sized hill half way round and a climb back up to broadwood from the loch. Well organised and decent enough training run ahead of the GSR. Scored my 10k PB there last year but my Garmin had the course 200m short.

EDIT - Link to Last years chat http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/75234-pb-running-club/?p=6612788

Edited by diamonds2002

I'm doing it. One of my favourites - pretty flat apart from the hill described by diamonds at about 4k, but its not a long or steep one at all.

A PB potential one. Generally well organised, albeit getting busier year on year.

I was thinking about it, but it is just too much hassle getting to Cumbernauld on a Sunday when you don't drive. Thinking about giving up my self imposed exile from GSR due to their sexist discount policy this year. Not sure if it will be the 10k or the half - did a 60 min VO2 Max workout in the gym and covered 14.5km. This suggests that I should be able to manage sub 1hr 30 mins for the half I think. Going to do a couple of longer runs before I decide.

I have only done 1 half before - the 2011 edition of the GSR. Unfortunately I had a cold the fortnight before the race and only got round in 1 hr 46 mins after having a major blow up at 10 miles. Honestly thought I had no chance of finishing it, but I eventually got going again. Have to exorcise the demon of that race - will be definitely doing it next year if not this.

The Mo Run is open for entries in Glasgow and, for the first time this year, Edinburgh. Both the start of November, 5k or 10k, Mo entirely optional! The Edinburgh one looks a pretty tough route, but I got my 10k PB at Glasgow last year. Two laps of Glasgow Green. Good atmosphere too.

The Mo Run is open for entries in Glasgow and, for the first time this year, Edinburgh. Both the start of November, 5k or 10k, Mo entirely optional! The Edinburgh one looks a pretty tough route, but I got my 10k PB at Glasgow last year. Two laps of Glasgow Green. Good atmosphere too.

Yeah I am quite interested in that one myself. IIRC it was pretty pricey for a 10k though.

Edited to add - it is £24 including booking fee. Pretty expensive for a 10k but will probably still do it as Glasgow Green course should be very quick.

Edited by BishyTON

I have done the Cumbernauld 10k couple of times. Not the most pictuesque course and there is a decent sized hill half way round and a climb back up to broadwood from the loch. Well organised and decent enough training run ahead of the GSR. Scored my 10k PB there last year but my Garmin had the course 200m short.

EDIT - Link to Last years chat http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/75234-pb-running-club/?p=6612788

I'm doing it. One of my favourites - pretty flat apart from the hill described by diamonds at about 4k, but its not a long or steep one at all.

A PB potential one. Generally well organised, albeit getting busier year on year.

Thanks for the replies, went ahead and signed up.. I'm pretty local so it would have been rude not to! Used to running up hills these days but I'm not going to get my hopes up for a PB!

Yeah I am quite interested in that one myself. IIRC it was pretty pricey for a 10k though.Edited to add - it is £24 including booking fee. Pretty expensive for a 10k but will probably still do it as Glasgow Green course should be very quick.

For a good cause!

I was thinking about it, but it is just too much hassle getting to Cumbernauld on a Sunday when you don't drive. Thinking about giving up my self imposed exile from GSR due to their sexist discount policy this year. Not sure if it will be the 10k or the half - did a 60 min VO2 Max workout in the gym and covered 14.5km. This suggests that I should be able to manage sub 1hr 30 mins for the half I think. Going to do a couple of longer runs before I decide.

I have only done 1 half before - the 2011 edition of the GSR. Unfortunately I had a cold the fortnight before the race and only got round in 1 hr 46 mins after having a major blow up at 10 miles. Honestly thought I had no chance of finishing it, but I eventually got going again. Have to exorcise the demon of that race - will be definitely doing it next year if not this.

They were saying yesterday that HM entries are nearly full. Could well be sales talk, but maybe best to book up quickly just in case.

Finished the Stirling 10k in 62 mins 18 secs, really pleased with that given the conditions and is a new PB for me. Hopefully should be able to get under an hour for 10k shortly.

Running the Dumfries Half marathon with my running club so will miss Cumbernauld 10k again. Would really like to run Cumbernauld as it starts and finishes at Clyde's ground will hopefully be able to do it next year.

I am also running the GSR half marathon, when I initially signed up I would have been happy with around 2 hours 30 mins but hoping to be a bit under that now. I am running it for the Crohn's & Colitis charity so this more important to me than the time I finish in.

That race time calculator isn't too helpful - got me down at 1 hr 57. I've never run anything at that distance before, but been feeling good on my past few long runs (up to 10 miles at this stage of my training) - hoping that the combination of a few more weeks training plus the adrenaline of the whole event should get me sub 1 hr 50 - that's the aim anyway! Came in a full ten minutes quicker than my previous quickest time when I did the GSR 10k a couple of years ago, so fingers crossed.

As an aside, has anyone who's doing the GSR received their pack yet?

the neil mccover half is the same day. a much quiter affair with a fast field, Im doing it and expect to be in the last 10/20% of runners