P&b Running Club

Big suze is superb.

Pacing myself is also an issue, my big thing is if I set off at say 5:30 min km I can keep going well, it must be settling into a rhythm.

However if I set off at 6:30 min km trying to speed up even though I'm less tired just doesn't happen, I can never seem to pull it back.

Aye, if Big Suze would certainly be an incentive to keep up.

Even though I've got a running app, I always think I'm starting off at a gentle sedate pace, only to find at the 1km that I've been putting the afterburners on. I don't think I've ever done a run where the first k wasn't the fastest.

Just did the Tollcross run... it's certainly not the route to run if you want to get a PB. I ran the first lap non-stop then was so knackered I walked up practically every hill on laps 2 or 3. I got overtaken by the same people 3 or 4 times. Still, I had enough left in the tank after my umpteenth walking bit so that on the last 250m downhill stretch, I literally sprinted past a few bemused runners. It's certainly not an efficient way to run though!

I just can't stop myself going off at Usain Bolt speeds and then tiring 1-2k in. It's 10 times as bad when the start is a big hill like at Tollcross. I just find it really hard to pace myself. 

Apologies if this has been posted before (and the lack of embeddedness), but this scene from Peep Show is a pretty accurate depiction of me running. 

Yeah you need a bit of discipline at Tollcross to ensure you don't blow your load on the first lap. If you don't then you will drop like a stone on lap 2 or 3. You can still bomb it around there if you are in 5k shape, as long as you respect the hills.

Tbh the uphill that gets me the most around there is the one at the bottom of the park (near the end of laps 1&2). It is only 50-100m long but it is a pretty high gradient. Much worse than the s bend at Pollok park!

Yeah you need a bit of discipline at Tollcross to ensure you don't blow your load on the first lap. If you don't then you will drop like a stone on lap 2 or 3. You can still bomb it around there if you are in 5k shape, as long as you respect the hills.

Tbh the uphill that gets me the most around there is the one at the bottom of the park (near the end of laps 1&2). It is only 50-100m long but it is a pretty high gradient. Much worse than the s bend at Pollok park!

I know the one. I got to admire the flowers as I gasped for breath walking slowly up said gradient. I don't know what it is about hills. It's almost a mental block... unless I've just started my run, you're pretty much guaranteed to see me walking up it. I've managed to get my 5k times down from around 32 minutes to under 25, but hills still bring out the ambler in me. The only non-stop 5k I ever did (which was yesterday) was on a running track.

I see they're trying to get a parkrun started in Springburn.. maybe that'll be flatter.

I defo do the darting round the people (at the start while it's really crowded). And I've never thought about my technique except having to put one foot in front of the other repeatedly!

Lol, yeah but I keep thinking that me not purposely pushing off is wasting momentum/energy!

But I think it's just overthinking.

I also dart around like a loon, I just wonder how much extra distance it amounts to over 10km!

Oh and another one.

Race technique, when overtaking do you guys/girls waste energy darting all over the place to get past or do you just wait for spaces to appear??

Good question.

Personally it depends on the circumstances. If it is near the start/I feel in good shape/pace disparity is too great/lapping people then I will duck and dive to find a way past. Otherwise, or if the movement required would likely cost me time, then I will wait for a gap to appear.

Tbh though most of the time when I am passing people is when I am lapping as I am a quick starter and tend to drop back slightly as the race goes on rather than passing people. The only exception is in mass participation races where I can't get close enough to the front or when you get the 1km heroes who sprint at the start and then drop like a stone.

Good question.

Personally it depends on the circumstances. If it is near the start/I feel in good shape/pace disparity is too great/lapping people then I will duck and dive to find a way past. Otherwise, or if the movement required would likely cost me time, then I will wait for a gap to appear.

Tbh though most of the time when I am passing people is when I am lapping as I am a quick starter and tend to drop back slightly as the race goes on rather than passing people. The only exception is in mass participation races where I can't get close enough to the front or when you get the 1km heroes who sprint at the start and then drop like a stone.

Yeah I recall my GSR runs where I was on the pavement and back on the road constantly trying to pass people.

I may try and get to the front of my wave this time around so I don't need to spend much time passing.

Think I've tweaked a glute - I have a slightly painful left bum cheek.

Managed just under 7 miles in 57 minutes, no great shakes but should be enough to get me sub 1hr 55 for the GSR. I think - and I'm counting a lot on the boost that you inevitably get from doing a mass run - I could get sub 1:50, but we shall see...

13km in 1:08 this morning. First 10km was fine, but there was a 10 minute from 50-60 minutes where my legs just seemed to turn to stone. Managed to get through that and the last 10 or so minutes were a piece of piss. Felt as if I could go on a bit more, but the route I worked out brought me back to my house at 13km and I didn't want to risk winding up a fair distance away if my legs packed in. Will put in a few shorter runs during the week then try and manage 15-16km next Saturday.

Also, how anyone can run without music is beyond me. I have a playlist made up of songs that I can run to, leaving out all the slow, melodic pish that I pass out to on the train on the way home from work. Without music, I just can't manage more than a few km.

13km in 1:08 this morning. First 10km was fine, but there was a 10 minute from 50-60 minutes where my legs just seemed to turn to stone. Managed to get through that and the last 10 or so minutes were a piece of piss. Felt as if I could go on a bit more, but the route I worked out brought me back to my house at 13km and I didn't want to risk winding up a fair distance away if my legs packed in. Will put in a few shorter runs during the week then try and manage 15-16km next Saturday.

Also, how anyone can run without music is beyond me. I have a playlist made up of songs that I can run to, leaving out all the slow, melodic pish that I pass out to on the train on the way home from work. Without music, I just can't manage more than a few km.

Nothing worse than jelly legs for me, I end up stumbling around like a drunkard when I hit 13km or thereabouts.

One more week of hard runs and then I'll start to taper off.

Oh and another one.Race technique, when overtaking do you guys/girls waste energy darting all over the place to get past or do you just wait for spaces to appear??

I dart about. I find that if you're concentrating on finding spaces, nicking past people, etc it takes my attention away from "plod plod plod I'm knackered plod plod plod look at watch plod plod plod is that only another minute plod plod plod" train of thought.

I dart about. I find that if you're concentrating on finding spaces, nicking past people, etc it takes my attention away from "plod plod plod I'm knackered plod plod plod look at watch plod plod plod is that only another minute plod plod plod" train of thought.

Lol.

I run without music.

I'm too paranoid about running out in front of a car I can't hear!!n

But, I like the rhythmic sound of my feet. Means I can tell if my legs are struggling, even if I'm feeling fine!

I run without music.

I'm too paranoid about running out in front of a car I can't hear!!n

But, I like the rhythmic sound of my feet. Means I can tell if my legs are struggling, even if I'm feeling fine!

I'm fine without music up to about 45 minutes, after that I just get bored. Fine during races as there's plenty else going on.

Just a small query here...

I'm running fairly regularly now, and enjoying it. But aside from the expected post-run aches etc, from pretty much the start of a run (no matter what length I'm planning to run) I endure a sore foot. It's only my right foot, and it's sort of on the top/side of my foot about halfway up the foot, if that makes sense?

Just wondered if anyone else experiences similar, or if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it and what I can do to prevent it from occurring?

Any help appreciated.

Some very good inspiration on this thread recently, gives you the incentive to ramp up the training!

I'm running fairly regularly now, and enjoying it. But aside from the expected post-run aches etc, from pretty much the start of a run (no matter what length I'm planning to run) I endure a sore foot. It's only my right foot, and it's sort of on the top/side of my foot about halfway up the foot, if that makes sense?

Just wondered if anyone else experiences similar, or if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it and what I can do to prevent it from occurring?

Any help appreciated.

Some very good inspiration on this thread recently, gives you the incentive to ramp up the training!

Sounds like arch pain.

My first question would be if your wearing properly fitted/supportive shoes?

Sometimes it can really be this simple.

Any help appreciated.

Sounds like arch pain.

My first question would be if your wearing properly fitted/supportive shoes?

Sometimes it can really be this simple.

Yeah if you are going to do any kind of distance running then having the right shoes is crucial. Go to Run4It and get a proper fitting if you have not already done so. The shoes there are pretty expensive but you can always find out which shoes are best for you and try to get them cheaper elsewhere if they are out of your budget (Amazon tends to be really good for this).