P&b Running Club

Interesting input from all so far.

So a new question, has anyone started easing off their miles/effort level yet in preparation for the GSR? Or any other race for that matter?

Tapering might be useful for the longer races but dont usually bother with it for 10k. It really depends on your fitness level and whether or not you are following a specific training plan.

Tapering might be useful for the longer races but dont usually bother with it for 10k. It really depends on your fitness level and whether or not you are following a specific training plan.

I was following a plan of around 20-25miles a week in prep for the 10km!

But I will cut that down on the last week anyway just so the wee niggles I have calm down a bit.

First run tonight since returning from holiday and it went surprisingly well. Only planned on doing a tried and tested 4.5 mile circuit but I felt really good so carried on and managed 7.88 miles in 1h:00m:30s. My mile splits were all very consistent as well so fairly chuffed with my stamina :)

I did get severe nipple chaffe though :(

Anybody doing the Loch Ness Marathon this weekend? One of my mates has entered it so I might go up and heckle/encourage him.

It's never been a problem for me as I've never run over 10k, but I hear vaseline on the nips is very effective!

Since going beyond the 10km mark I've discovered Vaseline is my new best friend. Nipples, barse and inside of my thighs well coated before any trip outside for a run. The girl who works in the pharmacy must be wondering what the hell I get up to in my spare time given the number of tubs I've bought recently.

Edited by Ross.

If I taper off my training now I'll be sitting in the house. I'll do a final run on the Friday before but up till then I'll be carefully building my strength up.Still don't have my number from GSR or my running vest from TeamAlzheimers....

My brother received his vest last week for Alzheimers charity.

I have received my number. Pink wave here I come!

I opted for the Loch Ness Marathon this year instead of the Glasgow Half Marathon. Anyone else running it this Sunday? I’m quite looking forward to it despite not training as much as I hoped to with illness, new job and moving in with the girlfriend limiting time and energy.

Aiming for sub 3 hour 15 minutes, but really have no idea what to expect for my first marathon, although I’d be disappointed not to achieve that. My main concern is setting off too fast; the first 10 miles seem to be mainly downhill with a few challenging hills later on. I have a habit of pushing too much in training runs and seem to be incapable of taking it easy, which isn’t going to work out well over 26.2 miles!

I opted for the Loch Ness Marathon this year instead of the Glasgow Half Marathon. Anyone else running it this Sunday? I’m quite looking forward to it despite not training as much as I hoped to with illness, new job and moving in with the girlfriend limiting time and energy.

Aiming for sub 3 hour 15 minutes, but really have no idea what to expect for my first marathon, although I’d be disappointed not to achieve that. My main concern is setting off too fast; the first 10 miles seem to be mainly downhill with a few challenging hills later on. I have a habit of pushing too much in training runs and seem to be incapable of taking it easy, which isn’t going to work out well over 26.2 miles!

Good luck on Sunday Kenzie!

How many 20+ mile runs have you done?

Good luck on Sunday Kenzie!

How many 20+ mile runs have you done?

Cheers! Good luck for achieving a PB at the GSR. I was half considering entering after Sunday if I felt I could get a PB at it, especially with the course changes being more favourable to a quicker run, but I think entries are now closed.

Only twice have I managed 20+ miles. Both times were quite hilly routes on the way out with mainly a decline to the end of the run (basically the opposite of the Loch Ness course by the looks of things). I've been focusing on getting my body used to my planned pace whilst tapering off with shorter runs the past week.

17k in 1h23 tonight. Calves are screaming, but the real limiting factor is my stomach - seems to always get upset. Anyone got any tips on either front?

Don't eat 2 hours before you run.

As for calves, proper warm up and some stretching, but not static stretching.