P&b Running Club

A quick question on treadmills.

I bought a decent treadmill for the apartment as it's more convenient than using the gym. However, my wife (who runs 10k every day on the gym treadmill) insists that the new treadmill is much harder to run on than the gym one. I have looked at the gym one and it's no better than ours and we can't work out why it should feel easier. (Both set at km/h and her pace is around 4 minutes per km)

Our treadmill was slipping a bit at higher speeds and I tightened the belt and it doesn't slip now and the wife said it's slightly better but still more difficult than the gym one. I have also put a spirit level on the house machine and it's sitting level too.

Any ideas?

I bought a decent treadmill for the apartment as it's more convenient than using the gym. However, my wife (who runs 10k every day on the gym treadmill) insists that the new treadmill is much harder to run on than the gym one. I have looked at the gym one and it's no better than ours and we can't work out why it should feel easier. (Both set at km/h and her pace is around 4 minutes per km)

Our treadmill was slipping a bit at higher speeds and I tightened the belt and it doesn't slip now and the wife said it's slightly better but still more difficult than the gym one. I have also put a spirit level on the house machine and it's sitting level too.

Any ideas?

In my experience the newer treadmills in the gym tend to be harder to run on that the older ones. I think this may be due to the tread being more grippy. If this is what it is then all that you can do is use it lots!

Just a small query here...

I'm running fairly regularly now, and enjoying it. But aside from the expected post-run aches etc, from pretty much the start of a run (no matter what length I'm planning to run) I endure a sore foot. It's only my right foot, and it's sort of on the top/side of my foot about halfway up the foot, if that makes sense?

Just wondered if anyone else experiences similar, or if anyone has any ideas what could be causing it and what I can do to prevent it from occurring?

Any help appreciated.

Some very good inspiration on this thread recently, gives you the incentive to ramp up the training!

Before going out to buy new trainers have a look at this link. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=1

Page 3 of it shows a way to tie your laces that removes a bit of pressure from the top of your foot. It might not help, but it might and it might save you a bit of money.

I bought a decent treadmill for the apartment as it's more convenient than using the gym. However, my wife (who runs 10k every day on the gym treadmill) insists that the new treadmill is much harder to run on than the gym one. I have looked at the gym one and it's no better than ours and we can't work out why it should feel easier. (Both set at km/h and her pace is around 4 minutes per km)

Any ideas?

Ignore the speed that the treadmills are saying that you are going at.

Different treadmills, even ones of the same make, will be calibrated differently and so will go at different speeds.

The km/h that it tells you you're doing is just a number. Run to effort instead, if it feels too easy then go faster, if it feels too hard then slow down.

Nearly time for the cumbernauld 10k. Bricking it. Never ran a mixed race or one this small. Feel really exposed! Why did I think this was a good idea????

You'll be fine. Just concentrate on your own run, forget everyone else and try to enjoy yourself.

A wee bit of nerves is good.

Managed 12.2 miles in just under 1:50 this morning. Not too bad, but I was blowing out my arse after a few miles. Doing 10k yesterday and having a few beers last night probably wasn't the best prep.

And thanks have to go to Bishopbriggs Leisuredrome for the use of their...ahem...facilities. Things were getting desperate!

Before going out to buy new trainers have a look at this link. http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/custom-tie-your-running-shoes?page=1

Page 3 of it shows a way to tie your laces that removes a bit of pressure from the top of your foot. It might not help, but it might and it might save you a bit of money.

Ignore the speed that the treadmills are saying that you are going at.

Different treadmills, even ones of the same make, will be calibrated differently and so will go at different speeds.

The km/h that it tells you you're doing is just a number. Run to effort instead, if it feels too easy then go faster, if it feels too hard then slow down.

Thanks

Good luck!!

Thanks, started off great, hit 5k in 33.56 then just couldn't keep it up. Overheated a bit when the sun came out and the 2week break probably took a wee bit out of me as well. Second half was a real struggle. 70 mins remains an elusive number in the distance!

Did see a badger though.

Thanks, started off great, hit 5k in 33.56 then just couldn't keep it up. Overheated a bit when the sun came out and the 2week break probably took a wee bit out of me as well. Second half was a real struggle. 70 mins remains an elusive number in the distance!

Did see a badger though.

Lol, go badgers!

So when's the next one?

Definitely earned that cheat meal today!

2 weeks at the GSR!

Anyone got any suggestions what training to do to keep ticking over? Don't imagine my stamina will improve much in that short time...

Some fartlek training might do you good.

And then taper off before the big one in preparation for smashing that 70min mark.

2 weeks at the GSR!

Anyone got any suggestions what training to do to keep ticking over? Don't imagine my stamina will improve much in that short time...

Some sprint training would be a good idea. For example, sprint for 400m and then jog for 400m. If you have a fairly straight 400m bit of road then this is ideal. I have been trying to integrate this type of training into my routine over the last couple of weeks.

Managed to find some time today for some running in the end - did a 5km in 20 mins 17 secs first, found the last couple of km very hard going after heavy training over last week. Then did 7 x 400m sprints at an average speed of around 17.5km/hr with a 400m jog in between each sprint. Rest day tomorrow, apart from some weights in the gym, and then back to it on Tuesday.

Edited to add - I think part of the reason my recent times have been slower is due to running without music, which I have never done before. I am definitely going to be getting my mp3 player ready ahead of my next outdoor run!

Edited by BishyTON

Got my running number in for GSR on Friday.

Finished the Dumfries half marathon today. The IT band in my left knee has been giving us problems. It was ok up to mile 6 then just crumbled. I jogged on till mile 10 and then had to walk the last 3 miles. Just hope its ok for the Glasgow half.

Got my running number in for GSR on Friday.

Finished the Dumfries half marathon today. The IT band in my left knee has been giving us problems. It was ok up to mile 6 then just crumbled. I jogged on till mile 10 and then had to walk the last 3 miles. Just hope its ok for the Glasgow half.

Killer old son. At least you gritted your teeth and completed it. Well Done Jack.