P&b Running Club

Have you got a parkrun near you? There's a few in Glasgow but I don't know how easy they are for you to get to on a Saturday morning from where you are. I know the Tollcross Park one is as social as you want it to be. You turn up, run 5K and you can bugger off home again after or join everyone else for a coffee in the sports centre. They're all really friendly and everyone there runs at whatever speed is comfortable for them. The hills are an absolute b*****d though!

Yeah I suggested that to Rowan previously. Parkrun is great and, as you say, it is as social or not as you want. Greenock (by train) or Victoria (by car) are probably the easiest to get to.

Yeah it is at the Esplanade - just over 1km from Greenock West.

Funnily enough I was there this morning and finished in 3rd place in a new course pb of 17'49" (1 sec quicker than a fortnight ago). Was pretty breezy, so pleased with that.

Anybody do that 10k beast race beside Banchory today? Holy f**k the first 3-4k was brutal, all uphill and up to your knees in mud at some points.

God that sounds horrific. Glad I was not doing that!

Final long GSR HM training run tomorrow morning. Tapering now so just the 15km - aiming for under an hour which should be more than achievable as it is at my target race pace.

Last long run went terribly. Didn't have anything in legs after Thursday/Saturday and really struggled. Sacked it after 10km (39'49") as metatarsalgia started to flare up again.

I am fairly confident of running a good time next Sunday, as long as metatarsalgia doesn't play up. Going to take it easy the rest of the week - just doing normal gym workouts on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (mostly cardio weights + 15 mins stairmaster (Tue + Wed), 300m sprint on rower (Tue + Wed) & 1km sprint spin) and Nike Run Club on Thursday night before race. Three days off in a week - that is unheard off for me lol!

So just one run to go before race now!

Edited by BishyTON

Hills are not my thing - well done for persisting Blootoon!

Loch Ness is over...my word, that was tough. Fell into the trap of going off to quick, despite my earlier caution, and crumbled a bit later on. Finished in 3:30:05, which I'll take under the circumstances. Oh, the pain. How any of you lot can do that regularly is a mystery.

Kenzie, I think I saw you at the start but couldn't see the name to be sure - hope you had a good one!

Agreed! Loch Ness was much harder than I expected. I didn't think I'd blast it being my first marathon, but I was fairly confident I'd be able to do it comfortably.

Was fine until Dores and on track for a 3:35 which was much better than expected, but had to use the portaloo and just couldn't pick it back up afterwards.

The last 5km were hellish. My feet felt like they were going to explode! Trundled round Inverness and finished in 3:54 which on reflection I'm happy with. Not sure I have any motivation to ever run that far ever again tho!

Well done guys, great efforts! Loch Ness is very challenging and you must be sensible. Last year's experience helped me massively as I knew when to hold back and prepare for certain inclines and not get carried away with the flatter/downhill sections! I was no where near as fit or as prepared as last year (13 miles being my longest training run), but still managed to finish in 3:18:51, a 46 second PB!

The last 3 miles were horrible though, finally succumbed to a bit of walking and when I restarted running both my calf's cramped up! Currently lying in hotel bed incapable of moving!

Saw a man collapsed just after halfway, it didn't look good but ambulance was quickly getting towards him with people already attending to him, and two guys I spoke to afterwards said they'd seen another man down! Hope both are ok!

Morrison, I would've been one of the few people with sunglasses on, if that helps! I think I might have seen you, but wasn't really sure what your Helsinki top looked like!

Reina, how did the 10k go?

Well done you three! Sounds pretty hellish! I had a blast today - it was the most comfortable 10k I have run since having my daughter 19 months ago and I enjoyed every second. My main aim today was to run all the way without stopping as that is something I haven't managed for a while, but I did today and came in just over the hour mark, so I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself. :) Slow compared to you guys, but this is a big improvement for me (although depressing to think I was 6 mins faster only 3 years ago at the same race!).

My Loch Ness Marathon also turned out to be a quite brutal afternoon.

I only had a seven week lead-in for training due to various ailments, and was expecting to get round in five hours but without having it easy (longest LSR had been 17 miles). At 4-6 miles I could feel a grumbling appendix, then again at 8-9, then I saw my left trainer with a beautiful coating of blood. Turns out I had ripped the skin off the top of my small toe, happy days. Mixture of jog/hobble/powerwalk to the next first aid stop (three miles away, torture!) and got it gauze bandaged up, which lasted around three miles before slipping off and wedging under the sock, cue another delay. Decided not to bother with a replacement, at the next stop, because I couldn't see how another 11/12 miles would make it exponentially worse.

All was going well until the entry to Dores, and I felt my lower back, suddenly, horrifically spasm. It was breath-taking how painful it was, and I was lucky there was an ambo just round the corner. Got it well-strapped, and the rest of the race turned into a staccato powerwalk (no danger of running up the hill out of Dores, hah) and jog session. Made it to the line in 5:52, and was glad to get it done.

Course itself is as beautiful as I expected but by christ the constant undulation makes it a right old slog at times - this is definitely not one for beginners!

Enjoying a rare-vintage Glenfiddich, it being my 30th today aswell. Won't forget this one in a hurry.....

Well done everyone who did Loch Ness today - I thought about trying to do this as a first marathon but just didn't feel ready to try one. I definitely plan to have a go at one next year though, any reccommendations? Edinburgh in May is the obvious one, but having made a bit of an arse of the Scottish half a few weeks ago mainly due to going out too fast with a downhill start, I'm a bit wary of doing a first marathon with a similar downhill start. My best training runs are almost always ones where I have a couple of miles uphill to start with and my most enjoyable race was the Inverness half this year which starts flat then goes uphill for a few miles before coming back down to the river. Anyone know of any marathon courses that are a bit like that?

Do those of you that attend running clubs find that it helps? I currently do pretty much all my running alone with the odd slow run with a pal who is trying to get back to fitness. I think it was a Fife AC training group that were setting up one week when I was finishing some track reps at a local school - I thought about staying to see what they did, but it was quite a hard run I'd done and I wanted home.

Huge congrats to everyone who ran Loch Ness. The marathon sounds brutal. I have a mate who thought he could enter with 6 weeks prep time. He was convinced it would be a PB course as it was along side a loch.

Beginning to get the nerves for next Sunday now after catching up with this thread.

Massive kudos Scorge, I would've thrown in the towel.

Well done everyone who did Loch Ness today - I thought about trying to do this as a first marathon but just didn't feel ready to try one. I definitely plan to have a go at one next year though, any reccommendations? Edinburgh in May is the obvious one, but having made a bit of an arse of the Scottish half a few weeks ago mainly due to going out too fast with a downhill start, I'm a bit wary of doing a first marathon with a similar downhill start. My best training runs are almost always ones where I have a couple of miles uphill to start with and my most enjoyable race was the Inverness half this year which starts flat then goes uphill for a few miles before coming back down to the river. Anyone know of any marathon courses that are a bit like that?

I'm very similar when I go out a run, uphill start to guarentee a downhill finish. I'd suggest Lochaber (if it's on next year), it's more flat than uphill/downhill though. I ran Edinburgh this year also, felt similar without checking the elevations. I'd say they're both quite dull runs though.

I'll be spectating at GSR next weekend with a few friends/co-workers running, plus Pavey and the great Haile. If any P&B'ers want a shout of support describe your attire and I'll be on the lookout!

Managed to add another few KM on Saturday, up to 13 and felt fairly comfortable pace wise. 1:13ish. Going to try that another couple of times this week and then add a few hills in when I'm sure my legs will cope. Should take the route up to about 18km. If I can manage that by the 12th I'll register for the half marathon on the 26th. If not I'll work towards another local one in March.

Scorge, happy birthday, mine too. I opted for pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast and curry at tea rather than a marathon to celebrate!!

Well done to guys and girls in Inverness today!

You got the better deal! Belated happy returns.

Massive kudos Scorge, I would've thrown in the towel.

No chance in hell I was going down as a DNF! If anything, I'm happier with this medal than the one I got for Moray last year (over an hour quicker) because I know how much fight went into it...

I think I may have used all my greenies for the day on the last page of posts. Scorge, massive respect for completing the run, that sounds absolutely horrific. I'm not sure how wise it was, mind :P Hope the recovery's going well.

Kenzie; that's a brilliant time, well done! The sunglasses makes me a bit surer I saw you then - were you wearing green under the Macmillan top? Should've taken the chance of making a tit out of myself. That really is some time on that course. I passed the man collapsed as well; the ambulance being considerably closer to him by the time I got there, where 3 people with him kept waving the rest of us on by. I haven't heard anything anywhere since about him, which I'm going to take as a good thing.

Congrats Reina, a solid effort! A much deserved weekend off the races this time round?

Munter, sounds like you had a very similar race to mine. I had lots of stops from around 18 miles on, just really struggled. Managed the last two without it as we came back into Inverness; couldn't let the crowds see me walk!

Thundermonkey - did your friend run? How did they do? Six weeks is very ambitious indeed!