P&b Running Club

When I run, I listen to music and have Runkeeper going. I find it useful as it helps me to pace myself (at about 5 minutes per km).. without it I tend to set off like the clappers. You can set it to give you distance / time or pace announcements every 1/4km, so that should be sufficient to ensuring you run at 4m 24 seconds a kilometre!

Green Day's 'Holiday' is at the perfect pace for the pace I like to run at, I always used to have it playing first when I went out to get my legs going at the right pace.

Now that I run without music, I have to kinda sing it in my head when I set off!

I've got my Garmin so can keep track and will be fine once I get going, just need to make sure I get at that pace early enough.

Good luck battling the temptation to go at your normal pace! I'm not sure I trust myself to step up to that.

Cardinal - The pace runs (at least in Edinburgh) seem to coincide with milestones of various note. There was one for the 250th run a month or two back, and tomorrow's the five year anniversary. There will be tea and cakes :thumsup2

Edited by morrison

Relatively horrible run for me this morning again. Went to Springburn Parkrun and finished 3rd in 18' 51" or so. That is over 40 seconds slower than my fastest time there and by far my slowest overall.

My speed pace has really dropped since the half marathon, although this weeks time is probably partly due to me having the cold all week and not being able to do any running since Sunday.

Probably should have just given it a miss, but wanted to get back into training as the Jimmy Irvine Bella 10k just three weeks away and I need to get back into mid distance race shape for that.

Planning on doing a 5k or 10k (probably 10k) tomorrow morning to continue preparations.

Edited by BishyTON

I can, in a much slower way, relate to that, Bishy. Finished in Edinburgh in around 20:34, over a minute slower than my PB. It's partly my own fault for starting further back and getting badly held up, but after making a concerted effort to get back to sub-20 territory I couldn't hold it together coming back. Meh. Think it's time to review what I'm doing - diet, and the sessions themselves - if I want to make any real improvements.

Are you doing your 10k runs at your target race pace, Bishy? Depending on what you choose to read you end up hearing all sorts of training advice.

Long run planned for late tomorrow morning geared towards the next marathon; six weeks to go.

I'm very similar when I go out a run, uphill start to guarentee a downhill finish. I'd suggest Lochaber (if it's on next year), it's more flat than uphill/downhill though. I ran Edinburgh this year also, felt similar without checking the elevations. I'd say they're both quite dull runs though.

Thanks (belatedly!) for that. I'll probably just do the Edinburgh one since it's pretty local and certain to be on.

Anyone else doing the Forth Bridge 10k next week? First 10k for me after doing half marathon 3 times - not expecting too great a time as I never seem that good at improving my speed over shorter distances, but will be interesting to see how it goes. Also had a rotten cold for the last couple of weeks that stopped me running altogether for about a week, so if I can do something around 43 mins I'll be happy enough. I enjoy running over the bridge when I'm out on my own so it should be a decent run, assuming it's not a day of high winds!

I can, in a much slower way, relate to that, Bishy. Finished in Edinburgh in around 20:34, over a minute slower than my PB. It's partly my own fault for starting further back and getting badly held up, but after making a concerted effort to get back to sub-20 territory I couldn't hold it together coming back. Meh. Think it's time to review what I'm doing - diet, and the sessions themselves - if I want to make any real improvements.

Are you doing your 10k runs at your target race pace, Bishy? Depending on what you choose to read you end up hearing all sorts of training advice.

Long run planned for late tomorrow morning geared towards the next marathon; six weeks to go.

I always worry that I appear a tad big headed (as per Captain Sensible early in this thread) when I post a disappointing result for myself.

The reality is that it is all relative - my times would be gutting for a stronger runner, but amazing for a lot of people.

Basically, if I am anymore than a couple of percent outside pb in a race then I am automatically not happy with it. I think this would be similar for most.

Re training - I run as close as possible to race pace on my training runs - normally am around a minute and a half slower over the distance than I would be in a race on average.

This mornings run in fairly terrible conditions (windy and at times rainy) went ok. Did it in 39 mins 59 secs which would normally be awful, but is not too bad today. A couple of bits of the course were waterlogged with massive puddles which cost me a decent amount of time. Not a pleasant morning for a run for sure!

The reality is that it is all relative - my times would be gutting for a stronger runner, but amazing for a lot of people.

This mornings run in fairly terrible conditions (windy and at times rainy) went ok. Did it in 39 mins 59 secs which would normally be awful, but is not too bad today. A couple of bits of the course were waterlogged with massive puddles which cost me a decent amount of time. Not a pleasant morning for a run for sure!

It was absolutely honking this morning. Done a 10k too in a time I would be raging at in a proper run (although would have been ok with the time 6 months ago), but I blame the weather and the various extra layers I had on. Gonna do the same course tomorrow as the wind and rain is meant to subside a bit before it gets horrible tuesday.

Ref your 'all relative' comment if I managed a 39.59 10k I'd be over the moon for days if not weeks!

Off work this week so gonna train hard till thursday then Its Jedburgh this sunday, Southside six a week on sunday then the Jimmy Irvine the following saturday.

Aye did half last year got my pb -1hour 34m - but wind was awful (forecast similarly bad this year so may still bail) hanging on until weds to decide. Probs will do half enjoyed first half of race last year. Second half not so much

Edited by marty_j

Never be worried about posting about what you consider to be a poor time! We are all different abilities and all have various levels of experience, but what I like about this thread is that we all support each other no matter what our speeds are. I find that with running generally. You get one or two knob ends, but the vast majority are really supportive and don't care how fast you are. I'm slow slow slow compared to most of you, but I'm lapping those on the couch.

I always worry that I appear a tad big headed (as per Captain Sensible early in this thread) when I post a disappointing result for myself.

Basically, if I am anymore than a couple of percent outside pb in a race then I am automatically not happy with it. I think this would be similar for most.

Never be worried about posting about what you consider to be a poor time! We are all different abilities and all have various levels of experience, but what I like about this thread is that we all support each other no matter what our speeds are. I find that with running generally. You get one or two knob ends, but the vast majority are really supportive and don't care how fast you are. I'm slow slow slow compared to most of you, but I'm lapping those on the couch.

Yeah, unless you're an elite runner in a big race the only 'race' is against yourself. When I finished Loch Ness an overly nice man working in a shop I passed asked if I had won, I replied 'yes' because I got a PB and in my mind that was a victory. Posting times on here is a good way to document progress and it's good to see what levels others are at.

I see running as a positive thing to do, both mentally and for the obvious health benefits. Whenever I see another runner when out I always give a friendly wave or a smile. I've managed to recruit my girlfriend, two mates (previously non-runners), my sister and two nephews (6 and 2 year olds) to take part in ParkRuns in the last few months (the 2 year old was in a buggy before I get accused of child cruelty) and they've all enjoyed it and are keen to improve their times. So, anyone that runs, at whatever speed/level, is a good guy/gal to me.

Off work this week so gonna train hard till thursday then Its Jedburgh this sunday, Southside six a week on sunday then the Jimmy Irvine the following saturday.

Will be doing the Southside6 also. Looking forward to it this year, normally I totally neglect running after a late September race and go into this in horrible condition, but I've continued with some easy-ish running the past three weeks since the Loch Ness marathon and today I felt as if my calves are feeling back to normal at long last. Will check my previous times and set a target time, plus my mate who ran 1:25:something at the GSR is running with me, so that should push me on until he likely surge on ahead later on.

Will be doing the Southside6 also. Looking forward to it this year, normally I totally neglect running after a late September race and go into this in horrible condition, but I've continued with some easy-ish running the past three weeks since the Loch Ness marathon and today I felt as if my calves are feeling back to normal at long last. Will check my previous times and set a target time, plus my mate who ran 1:25:something at the GSR is running with me, so that should push me on until he likely surge on ahead later on.

1st time running southside6. Its a bit of an odd distance, so strangely I'm not feeling any pressure time wise and will take it easy - probably come in near the end of the field (I reckon about 2:20/25ish). Missing too many parkruns due to all these events of late - so will probably try a quick (for me) parkrun the day before southside6.

Aye did half last year got my pb -1hour 34m - but wind was awful (forecast similarly bad this year so may still bail) hanging on until weds to decide. Probs will do half enjoyed first half of race last year. Second half not so much

Nooooooooooooo! Not that wind again. Even if it was the other way around it wouldnt be so bad as the first 5k or so you are sheltered on the way out through that wee woodland road.

My running bud and I have been doing tempo runs in prep for a decent time (ok, nowhere near your 1:34!) - last thing we need is that flippin wind

Went to Tollcross this morning. Christ. Got to top of the first hill without much difficulty to be met with a freezing cold head wind.

Stuck it out, had to walk up the big hill on the 3rd time of asking but got 26 minutes which is acceptable since I'd not so much as lifted an arsecheek to fart since the GSR.

Edit: Rankles me that my smoking chum I brought along beat me by 2 minutes. (He's not smoking hot, he smokes).

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu