P&b Running Club

I've got a forerunner 10, with no heart rate monitor. It's the most basic one available (I think), but it does everything I need it to do. Would recommend it.

I have this as well. It is a good watch, but the poor satellite signal finding and lack of interval training features mean that I am looking to upgrade to a 220 as soon as they are at a reasonable price.

Did my first couple of 10ks this month and have got it down to 47 mins exact on a pretty hilly city course. any advice on how to get it down to around the 45 mark?

Run faster? :P

Seriously, just keep up the practice and your times will come down. Also, take some of your training runs out to the 12/13k mark, 10k will seem so much easier then.

I have this as well. It is a good watch, but the poor satellite signal finding and lack of interval training features mean that I am looking to upgrade to a 220 as soon as they are at a reasonable price.

I've never had an issue with the signal on mine, I have to say.

Just got the Forerunner 610 for £129 in a Amazon Black Friday lightening deal.

Just got the Forerunner 610 for £129 in a Amazon Black Friday lightening deal.

I considered the 610, but it has similar satellite issues to the 10 (although nowhere near as bad due to hotfix). The newer models (220/620/920) have much better satellite technology.

Just to clarify, my issue with the 10 is in finding satellites. Once it has found them then I have had no problems. It wouldn't bother me except that it meant I was running with a stopwatch only for 3 big races this year.

Edited by BishyTON

I considered the 610, but it has similar satellite issues to the 10 (although nowhere near as bad due to hotfix). The newer models (220/620/920) have much better satellite technology.

Just to clarify, my issue with the 10 is in finding satellites. Once it has found them then I have had no problems. It wouldn't bother me except that it meant I was running with a stopwatch only for 3 big races this year.

Ah, I see. I do notice it taking a couple of minutes to find them sometimes.

Is there any difference between running with a GPS watch and a GPS phone (apart from the extra weight) ?

In other news, I think I've run twice since the GSR in October. Shameful scenes from someone who claims to enjoy running.

The watches are easier to check, lighter and far more accurate.

How often are people going out a week?

A couple of times through the week and a long run at the weekend,no more than 20 miles of running a week but everyone will be different some more some less.

Stick at it,happy running.

A couple of times through the week and a long run at the weekend,no more than 20 miles of running a week but everyone will be different some more some less.

Stick at it,happy running.

I'm doing Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday. Wee break on Wednesday. Only been out 6 times and noticing it get slightly easier each time.

• 2 weeks later...

That's me still in the game for the Marcothon., first week done.

23.4 miles done this week, nothing special distance-wise, but as I tend to never run on 2 consecutive days (due to running shitily on the 2nd day), getting to 7 days is great. Also, I have a pretty crippling hangover, so if I can run today, I can run any day.

Edited by Boghead ranter

After getting my back fixed I've also decided to have a crack at Marcothon, mainly just to get back on the horse and get base fitness back.

8/8 so far, though got a 'holiday' in London to negotiate next week..

After saying a couple of weeks ago that I enjoy running in winter weather, I got the other side of it yesterday - 10 miles in pissing, cold, driving rain including a few minutes of sleet up at the highest point of the route. Brutal as it was, I always find there's a real feeling of satisfaction upon completing a longish run of that sort of distance in conditions like those. Really enjoyed the short run I did tonight though, first one of the year with the temperature below freezing and one of those beautiful cold, still, clear nights that I love going out in.

How much training are the rest of you doing over the winter? I was going to wind it right back for a couple of months, but was enjoying running regularly so have kept going out most days including a long Sunday run of about 10 miles and a quick Thursday tempo run. Not sure how much it'll help me once I start getting the mileage up come January, but I don't see that it can do any harm and I'm enjoying it which is the main thing.

It's basically Carmunnock Road (coming from Hampden), past Kings Park, then through Castlemilk up to Carmunnock. Had a look at Bonnyton Golf Course... looks like a nice place for a run ... defo wouldn't describe it as "fun" though!

Digging up this post as that Carmunnock Road hill (more like: rolling monster hills) will be my run home as of early January. I've given it a 'test run' last Monday and again tonight, then running back to my girlfriend's house in Giffnock. Starting from Charing Cross and finishing in Carmunnock I make it to be about 11km, with four 'heartbreak hills', add in a backpack just to make it that bit more challenging and that's me got a brutal regular run that will probably be a massive benefit to my marathon training.

The traditional winter cold/cough, plus going over on one of my glass ankles has meant minimal running in the past 2/3 weeks, but I'm back into the swing of things again now. I enjoy running in this cold weather, providing I can avoid decking it on the ice.

Santa Dash for me this morning in Glasgow City Centre. Was epic - everyone should sign up for one next year. 6000 Santa's running up St Vincent Street!

Ran it twice before (once when re-arranged for January), good fun for all and even got presented with my medal by Kenny Dalglish one of the times.