P&b Running Club

This is my first experience of shin splints, and what a b******. I always thought it even sounded bad, but I've not been been out for a proper run in 6 weeks.

I thought I had got rid at the start of the week and tried for a cheeky 5k on Wednesday and it started all over again.

I've been doing the stretches, but rest seems to be the best. I also need to look at my running style, as apparently it's often down to landing on the heel.

I'll try to sit sit tight for another week and then give it a gentle go.

This is my first experience of shin splints, and what a b******. I always thought it even sounded bad, but I've not been been out for a proper run in 6 weeks.

I thought I had got rid at the start of the week and tried for a cheeky 5k on Wednesday and it started all over again.

I've been doing the stretches, but rest seems to be the best. I also need to look at my running style, as apparently it's often down to landing on the heel.

They really are a b*****d. Mines seemed to disappear once I got proper trainers.

They really are a b*****d. Mines seemed to disappear once I got proper trainers.

Yep, if you have not already done so I would go to a proper running shop, get gait analysis and ensure you are wearing the right kind of shoes. Things like shin splint are often the result of running in shoes that are not suitable.

Yep, if you have not already done so I would go to a proper running shop, get gait analysis and ensure you are wearing the right kind of shoes. Things like shin splint are often the result of running in shoes that are not suitable.

Cheers guys, I might do that actually.

I've usually just got on with things, but maybe this is a sign to be a bit more careful with things like this.

Even just a short walk with the dogs and I feel it tighten again. I think I was too eager to get back out and it's set me back a bit.

Cheers guys, I might do that actually.

I've usually just got on with things, but maybe this is a sign to be a bit more careful with things like this.

Even just a short walk with the dogs and I feel it tighten again. I think I was too eager to get back out and it's set me back a bit.

I used to get them quite regulary but went to a proper running gear shop and done the gait tests, got myself a proper pair of trainers and personalised insoles, massive difference.

Has anyone done the Buchlyvie 10k? Thinking of going along to it a week on Saturday. It's full but apparently there's 50 places for first come first served on the day. Looking for course information but there's not much about. I've signed up for the 10k at Loch Katrine on in March so just wanting to get an idea of how my 10k pace is in the lead up to that.

Did the inaugural Pollok Parkrun cross country skiing run yesterday. Ridiculously slippy and muddy in places, it was a miracle that I didn't end up on my ass about ten times! My legs were so muddy that it took about twenty mins to clean them in the Burrell toilets lol. Time was 21'28" - so just 3 mins 26 secs outside course pb lol.

Also did a ten miler from Buchanan Street to Scotstoun and back with Nike Run Club for the second straight Sunday. Did it a minute faster this week despite the ice and snow in 1'07"36". Did it in my normal run shoes and even though it was pretty slippy in place I didn't nearly fall once. What a difference a day makes lol.

Finally done my first run of the year after a couple of weeks of rest from a foot injury at parkrun yesterday. Didn't push too hard and it was a bit slippy so came in at 21:35, so a couple of minutes off of PB - it's a start anyway.

'sake. I'd give my left hand to run 5k in that time.

Welcome back.

Just done w3d2 of couch to 5 k.

Was bricking the icy conditions at first, as I've fallen on my arse a couple of times walking so quite happy I trotted along non-stop - it tells you to alternate between jogging and walking.

Got nike club to look forward to on Thursday.

Just done w3d2 of couch to 5 k.

Was bricking the icy conditions at first, as I've fallen on my arse a couple of times walking so quite happy I trotted along non-stop - it tells you to alternate between jogging and walking.

Got nike club to look forward to on Thursday.

If you are going to the Glasgow one then give me a shout on the night.

In a moment of foolishness last summer I signed myself up to run the Edinburgh marathon at the end of May. This will be my first time so do any of you machines on here have any advice on upping the distance,i.e training plans etc? (I can do about 15k reasonably comfortably)

Or is it just a case of slogging it out and putting in as much miles as possible?

I can only speak from doing half marathons but you need to put some variety into your training - put some quicker shorter runs (I tend to use parkruns for that) along with the longer slower runs. I'm sure they say you should you only add 10% on to your distance a week so that you don't overdo it.

Done Buchlyvie 10k on Saturday. Took 2 minutes off my old pb with a time of 44:54 (not run a 10k for about a year though). Happy enough with the run and it give me an idea of where I'm at since I'm planning on doing a good few 10ks this year. Quite a quick course although quite exposed - a nasty headwind with a couple of kms to go made it quite tough toward the end - and pretty wet and muddy for the most part. Getting a mug instead of a medal was a nice touch. At least I'll get some use out that.

Any strava users on here?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4708117?utm_source=top-nav

Give me a folow and I'll follow back.