P&b Running Club

No luck for me in the ballot either. Apparently all clubs get some entries as well so I've probably got a better chance that way. Nice to see that someone got in though - good luck with it DHD.

Not sure about next year yet, Morrison. Once I get back to it I'll probably try to get my Sunday run back up to 16, and hold it there for a while until a couple of months out. The main difference though will probably to add a second longish run midweek, maybe something like 12. Will be looking to do a spring marathon somewhere, anywhere but Edinburgh.

I'm not racing this week but I guess a lot of you are. Weather looks really good for running on Sunday, so hopefully you all have a good run.

Gave Springburn Parkrun a go today for the first time. Really enjoyed it

Decent course and less of a slog than Pollok. Managed 19.18 and finished third after a late sprint on the home straight. Getting better week on week and closing in on my PB that I set at Pollok

New PB at the Parkrun this morning 22.17,so a 30 second improvement on the previous, started closer to the front which helps, 300 at our Parkrun on average and some of the paths aren't the widest so easy to be caught in traffic but steered clear and ran well ,had set a target of sub 22.30 by the end of the year so sub 22 the new target.

So, 29 weeks to train for a marathon. I've been given this

attachicon.gif1443861017090.jpg

How does that look? Obviously I'm going to start now, would build up to week 13 then continue building for another 13 weeks before the taper.

Depends what your aim is. If you are just aiming to complete it then that should be fine. If you are aiming for a time then I would run more miles than that and at least a couple of the sessions would incorporate intervals.

1:37:48 for me at the GSR half today. 30 seconds off taking 10 minutes of last years time which was my target. Can't complain about that.

Now targeting a sub 20 5k by the end of the year before the training begins for the Edinburgh Marathon next year.

1.46.18 in the GSR today. I'm not particularly comfortable with the distance so I decided just to go out pretty quick and give myself something to try to hold onto. Was just trying to keep the legs going at the end but about 3 and a half minutes off my pb so I think it paid off.

Strange experience for the first 2 or 3k though. I was in the green group (can't remember what time I put down) and because I decided to go out quite hard I had about half a dozen runners in front of me but no one behind for a couple hundred metres by the time I got to the top of the hill. I had caught up on the tail end of the white group by the bridge, but was very quiet until then.

Depends what your aim is. If you are just aiming to complete it then that should be fine. If you are aiming for a time then I would run more miles than that and at least a couple of the sessions would incorporate intervals.

I've sort of set myself a target of 4 and a half hours but wouldn't be too disappointed going over it. What sort of intervals should I be doing for a marathon? I think I'll follow the plan I have from now and then incorporate intervals later on.

Well done Bishy, that is rapid!

Congrats ark loyal, a solid time. Brilliant progress in a year, too.

Are you feeling any more at home with the distance, SpoonTon? That time sounds quick for the Green pen (though I've no idea what the cut-offs actually were), seems you had a good one!

I'm chuffed with my day, too. Got round in 1:27:24 to knock 2:29 off my PB from March; once Pollok Park was out of the way I was pretty confident I was on for a decent time. Did anyone hang around to meet Paula? I was going to go for it, but just missed the middle slot and had no patience!

Great efforts there from everyone today, well done all. That's a pretty successful last few weeks for everyone who posts on this thread that's raced in that time, and good to see a lot of big iprovements and times that folk are generally really pleased with.

Watching the TV coverage of the half I wished I was running as well. When I did go out for 8 miles this afternoon, my legs were glad I hadn't done so! With that in mind, I'm particularly impressed that anyone could PB in the half today with the same 'marathon legs' from last week that I had. Really good stuff there.