P&b Running Club

Cheers Reina, good stuff. Is a tri suit pretty much essential for these events?

Not for men, I wouldn't say - you'd be able to wear tight shorts in the pool then pull on a top when you get out into T1. They're pretty much a must for women, though!!

Socks - I did a novice distance one on Sunday. It was only 400m swim, 16km cycle and 3km run. I did it more to try out the transitions before doing a sprint distance next season. Who knows, I might manage a standard/olympic distance at some point. :)

Reporting a 5 mile run this evening. Didn't get out until 9pm. There were bats all over the place.

Aye, good stuff folks. That's what I like most about running - we can all be as competitive as we want to be, either against other people and going for places in race, or against ourselves and trying to make whatever target we set ourelves when running alone. I really do miss playing football but I was never good enough to play competitively, and running does allow me to satisfy that competitive streak. I'll certainly never have an attitude of 'so what' when someone a bit slower than me does a time they're happy with, and I think most folk who do it have that same respect for other runners, however fast they might be. I enjoy hearing how everyone who posts on this thread is getting on.

Been out 5 times this week clocking up just over 24 miles , feeling good after my 3 week lay off, just getting the strength back in the legs,may try and head out tomorrow for another 4 miles , next week getting serious for the HM , probably do a few 3 or 4 milers with an 8 mile thrown in,(I assume that's how it's done anyway :P )

Boghead - it was roasting on Thursday; I was toast by the end of my 4-miler.

Nice running Co.Down, straight back into the swing on things.

Portobello parkrun this morning and a course record of 20:16, I think. Yet to run sub 20 for a 5k that hasn't been at Cramond! I'm happy with it considering the recent injury; the legs felt heavy for the first two laps so I'll take it. Considering going on a longer dawdle in the evening.

Aye, Thursday night was really hot for running. I was doing some hilly half mile reps and also had a cold - that's a tough session anyway, but was absolutely burst at the end of it with that heat.

Good stuff Co. Down - sounds like you're well on the way, so probably just a matter of gradually increasng the long run distance, ideally trying to get it to about 11 miles a couple of weeks before the half.

Are you pretty much recovered now Morrison? You still going to manage your marathon next month or are you too far behind?

I'm good to go, as far as I can tell, cheers Socks. I've missed 4 weeks so I won't be quite where I wanted by race day, but I should still get round okay. My number arrived for the Great North Run too; looking forward to it. Hoping the medals are bit more glamorous than the grey slabs they hand out for the Edinburgh run, but not expecting miracles!

Good stuff, die hard.

Happy with today's work: started with a parkrun PB at in the morning in really good conditions. Went out much too fast (3:30 to 1km) but held it together for a 19:04 finishing time. Then headed out this afternoon for a half-marathon distance slow run; my legs unsurprisingly felt a bit tired but I survived!

Are you still heading out with the club you went along to, Socks? I got back to it on Thursday - oh, how I'd missed it.

Great running Morrison, Die Hard, Socks et al.

I have been struggling a bit since getting back from knee injury - about 15-25 seconds slower over 5k than pre injury.

This morning at Victoria Park I was back below 18 mins for the first time since then, taking 3rd place in 17'57". Still 16 secs slower than my best, but starting to get there.

Have the Paisley 10k next Sunday, which is the big race of the year for me as it was my first ever race and marked the end of weight loss 'journey' and start of my running one. Bare minimum expectation is a course pb - my best there in five attempts was last years 38'02" and as I have been sub 38 in every 10k this year, I expect a sixth consecutive best time there. Optimistic target is sub 37'30" which would be my second fastest of the year after the super fast Clydebank course (37'03").

Edited by BishyTON

First Parkrun in ages today. Gave Victoria Park a go for a change. Much flatter course than Pollok so now that I've given it a go, I'll be trying to beat my PB there. Without the hills I'm sure I can reach that.

Just managed a sub 20 today with 19.59. Got to get myself going regularly and will try to alternate between the two

Good to see you back to it Bishy, injuries are a total nuisance.

Aye, Morrison, still heading to that club twice a week and really enjoying it. Good variety so far and it's nice having other folk around, particularly for the recoveried when we do reps. Haven't missed a session yet, but will do on Tuesday as the Pars come first that night!

That's the toughest wek of training I've done for quite a while, doing 19 miles last Sunday and two good sessions of reps through the week, then a 20 miler today in constant sunshine where it was impossible to find any shade. I was absolutely done by the end and was very glad I took a gel and bought a bottle of water while out - I don't usually, but don't think I'd have made it home without them today as I was really struggling from 14 on.

Also managed a rare appearance at Kirkcaldy parkrun yesterday, and was happy to take 15 seconds off my only previous time to finish in 19:23. Seems to be going OK at the moment and I've got a half next week to see how the fitness is. Definitely need a couple of easy days before it though, after the last week.

9.5 miles yesterday. Half marathon training ramping up a bit. Found it quite easy though, I think I'm a lot fitter and stronger than I thought I was. Maybe the cycling has helped. I tell you what though, I really need to do some pilates or something as my core is very weak and I'm getting a sort back.

Morrison, I was a bit disappointed with my GNR goody bag last year. The medal was a bit plain and the tshirt wasn't a technical one so you can't use it for running. Pish when you consider how much you pay for entry.

Reina, this news makes me sad. A grey slab of metal and a cotton t-shirt for £45...why do we do this to ourselves?! Great running though; which half are you doing?

Good to see you back, Bishy, and going strong too. Same to you, Socks, I'd be delighted with that time at Kirkcaldy. That was my parkrun PB (from Cramond!) until Saturday.

Had a track session yesterday and not long back in from 10k. That's me until my last 20 mile training run of the year on Saturday. Feels good to type that, will be better still when it's done.

Some good running in here, props all. Managed 10k last weekend without too much difficulty, going to risk a gentle 10 miles this weekend.

For cross training, I've had a bit of luck - the Great North Run leaflet had a two week free trial using a Speedflex gym. There's only one in Scotland, and it's a 10 minute walk from my house, hah! First proper session tonight, and reeling.....