P&b Running Club

For some bizarre reason, I've pretty much decided I want to try another marathon this year, and do the Inverness one in September. When I finished the Edinburgh one, I was quite sure that I was just going to focus on shorter stuff for the rest of the year, but I'm now pretty keen to have another go. First 16+ mile run today since May was surprisingly comfortable, so I should be OK.

I finally got round to going along to a running club this week, and really enjoyed both sessions. Amazing how it can sub-consciously push you on, just by running with other folk, and if anyone is considering it, I'd really reccommend just going and doing it. So much more enjoyable running with a group than on your own as well. The hamstrings were a bit sore after the first session of 200m sprints on rough grass, but definitely worth it and I'll definitely be back this week.

After 6 months of pretty much no running (apart from the Angus half which I managed to finish although 11 mins slower than last year) due to a very sore IT band issue that just wouldn't heal up I have now managed 4x 5km and 1x7.5km run in the last two weeks! Can't say how good it is to be able to get running again as it's been a very frustrating time.

This was the first time since I started running that I've anything more than a minor tweak and it's been a bit of an eye opener. Really frustrating when you see your mates posting on FB about the latest half, or marathon they ran. Appreciate being able to get out and run so much more now!

So might do a couple of 10km late summer to have something to aim for but Loch Ness is out I'm afraid as I'll be taking it slow and easy...

Good to see a few folk managing to get back out after being out a while - it really is a great feeling when you've been frustrated by injuries for a while, so hopefully you're all enjoying it.

First attempt at Donkey Brae for me today, a fairly brutal 7 mile race in Aberdour. A lot of ups and downs, including donkey brae its self which comes about half a mile from the finish, and some sections on gravel grass and mud. The legs didn't feel good at all for most of it, though that was mainly down to doing a long run on Friday. Pretty happy with the time of 46:30ish, which would have been fine even if feeling good.

Love that this thread is still going. :)

I'm running/cycling/swimming pretty regularly at the moment - I'm one of the only parents whose activity increases during the school holidays. Few events coming up - I have a triathlon next weekend, Baxter's 10k (my favourite event - aiming for a PB here) and then Aviemore half 2 weeks later (again, looking for a PB, sub 2hour would be my ideal). My running has improved dramatically this year and I've broken the 25 min barrier for 5k (which is really impressive for me!) I'd love to go under 50:00 for a 10k at some point, but think September might be a bit soon. Possibly one of the local ones into the new year might be more realistic.

My running has been going really well the last couple of weeks.

After the 10k PB at Musselburgh, I've had two really good long runs of about 20k or so and a few shorter sharp runs as well - best of all getting a massive PB at parkrun on Saturday, taking 36 seconds off it to go down to 18:43 (took a while for the smile to come off my face!)

Having the new watch is going well as well, used it for running, golf and a swim and definitely no complaints.

Did the Portobello parkrun for the first time on Saturday.

Good points: It's a really nice park - probably the nicest I've run in. It's also pretty flat so possibilities for a PB.

Bad points: It's really narrow. With nearly two hundred runners and three laps, there was always going to be problems overtaking. And indeed, the guy who finished 3rd knocked over one guy he lapped. Bit of a stramash with one guy shouting out "He's done that before". However, to be fair to the fast guy, the people in front were running like a herd of cattle and not adhering to the "keep left" rule.

The other problem was my girlfriend beat me by 2 seconds and hasn't shut up about it since :(

Anyone do the Islay half marathon on Saturday?

Done it in 2011 but been limited to shorter runs since, now assist with timing, water stations etc.

I did notice it's quite a mature crowd running it these days, and the first six miles were into a brutal wind this year. Blown back along the low road, though, which is nice.

Forth Road Bridge 10k for me today. Near perfect weather for it, and unsurprisingly a more scenic route than you get for most races. Was hoping I might break 40 mins, but was 30s outisde that and slightly slower than at Musselburgh a few weeks back. A wee bit disappointing given the good conditions, but it's a much hillier route so wasn't bad. Probably could have pushed a bit harder in the first half, but it's hard to pace it with all the ups and downs.

I've recently started running with the club that organise this, so ended up helping out with it today. You certainly see another side of it doing that, and appreciate much better all the work that folk put in to organise these local events. It was actually quite stressful at times doing the number pickup, but good to get involved in it and contribute to what is a popular race.

back running today after a 3 week break, 2 weeks on holiday and a week at work, wasn't too bad just a 4.3 miles,felt ok throughout ,will try and get out another 3 or 4 times this week all short stuff and then start back in training proper for the HM on the 20 Sept. was going well up until the holiday so should be ok as long as I can keep going regularly.

Did a triathlon today. Totally nailed it and ended up 8th in my category. Chuffed to bits :D

That's brilliant, Reina, congrats! Was this your first? How did you find the transitions? I'm considering one for new year; haven't done one before.

Good efforts all round.

Managed a whole mile or so on Saturday without any reaction from my foot, so will slowly step it up. In the downtime I've volunteered at parkrun a couple of times which was fun, definitely worth doing.

Having done 2 flittings since April, my running has taken a back seat, but trying to get back in over the last 10 days or so.

Concentrating on a 3-mile circuit I've worked out, decided to only increase the distance when I could cover it in near 24 mins*. First 2 attempts were 26:30 and then 26:02, but then last night I blasted round in 24:20, which has left me really motivated this morning. Hopefully I don't go backwards next time I'm out.

*I know a lot of you will think 'pfft', but I never ever was that fast anyway, and I'm at an age (49) where it's all about slowing down deterioration of performance rather than making any great leaps forward, to be honest. Sad as I am to say it.

That's brilliant, Reina, congrats! Was this your first? How did you find the transitions?

Thanks! I'd done one in 2011 but I didn't have a decent bike so it was a struggle and not much fun. This was totally different. I've got a good bike now and I'm much fitter than I was then.

Transitions were ok - t1 was pool to bike, running over the Tarmac in the swimming pool car park in bare feet wasn't fun but it was only a wee distance. It's trying to remember the rules - you can't touch the bike until you've got your helmet in, for example. I think it's helpful to walk yourself through transition in your head a few times. Out the water, swim cap off, into transition, (wetsuit off if it's open water), helmet on, talc over your feet, socks and shoes on, race number on (I have a tri belt for this purpose), bike off the rack, out of transition and onto the bike in T1 then T2, off the bike before the transition area, run to your spot, rack up bike, helmet off, change shoes to trainers if you've had cleats on for the bike (I did), swivel number from back to front, and out of transition.

Go for it - I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new challenge. I'd also recommend doing a few brick sessions, as nothing prepares you for the heavy leg feeling when you go from cycling to running!

Good stuff doing a triathlon; what distance was it?

I fancy having a go at one some time, but the swim in particular would need a bit of work as I'm OK at breaststroke and backstroke but I've always been utterly hopeless doing front crawl. A pal at work recently tried to peruade me to do one next month but I'm nowhere near ready for that. Been thinking about trying it next year though.

No judging here, boghead. It's a great feeling to see the times coming down regardless of the starting point. Keep at it.

Cheers Reina, good stuff. Is a tri suit pretty much essential for these events? It's a pool swim for the one I'm looking at.

Socks, my swimming's crap too. Getting there oh-so-slowly!

Been struggling here with a dodgy knee which renders anything over 10k a nightmare. :(

Ultra-marathon cherry will have to wait a bit, I guess.

Now about to embark on swimming lessons as low-impact workouts are going to be the order of the day for at least another month.

(Great North Run is still on the agenda, even if it puts me in the pain chamber.....)

Edited by Scorge