P&b Running Club

Well that was my first/last marathon. Wanted under four hours but ended up with 4.03.xx. Happy enough with that, those last 8ish miles were absolute torture with the wind. It really is a stupid distance to run!

I've never done one but like a lot of people, I'd like to try one at least once.

Was looking up marathons that aren't too undulating (so that's Loch Ness out)... I noticed one in the Hague... has anyone ever done it? The only thing putting me off is a good 6 miles of it is along the beach and possibly in the sand - which sounds pretty difficult.

Well done folks, good efforts there from everyone.Glad I took today and tomorrow off work - I expected to be sore but not quite as bad as this!

Chris, Inverness half is in March. If you want to try another one this year Scottish Half in September (course is around East Lothian) or GSR in Glasgow in October probaby your options.

Think I'm going to go for the GSR.

Great efforts everyone, good to hear about folk running these distances for the first time. I get those saying it's for the last time...you might find you're 'accidentally' signing up to something else soon enough (go on, Blootoon)!

Cardinal - since you mentioned The Hague, Amsterdam's meant to be flat. It's mid-October. I did Paris this year which is pretty flat; it'll cost a bit more but gives you until April if you're considering running abroad.

I'm also off today and tomorrow, and mightily relieved about it!

Edited by morrison

Ran 10k today, first time out since the half and I've done nothing but eat complete shite all week. Felt good.

What do people take as little bits of fuel on longer runs. I usually take a banana but didn't have one so wrapped a few bit sof Haribo in foil and ate that at halfway today :lol: On the half I had a few of those energy gels, they were rank and made my stomach a bit weird afterwards (the steak and beer probably contributed to that).

Ran 10k today, first time out since the half and I've done nothing but eat complete shite all week. Felt good.

What do people take as little bits of fuel on longer runs. I usually take a banana but didn't have one so wrapped a few bit sof Haribo in foil and ate that at halfway today :lol: On the half I had a few of those energy gels, they were rank and made my stomach a bit weird afterwards (the steak and beer probably contributed to that).

Nothing tbh. The longest I have run is around 18 miles and I survive of the big bowl of porridge that I have about two hours before the run.

Nothing tbh. The longest I have run is around 18 miles and I survive of the big bowl of porridge that I have about two hours before the run.

Show-off thread for this.

I was once doing the 10k I do near my house and ended up having to stop as I was shaking and weak - I'm not sure if my blood sugar was low but I had that feeling where I just need to eat an apple or something. I went to a corner shop and tanned a bottle of Lucozade. Since then I try to have something with me.

A big bowl of porridge is a good one. I ran my 10k today on an empty stomach as I was pushed for time though.

The wee kiddies packs of jelly babies, the only have 6 or 8 in, but give a wee energy boost. However, I've still not yet mastered peching and closing my mouth to swallow, I make it much harder than I imagine it should be.

As an aside, I shared this tip with a female friend and fellow runner, only she made a complete arse of it. Rather than carry the pack unopened as I presumed she'd have the sense to do, she tipped them into that daft pocket at the small of her back that a lot of ladies running breeks have. She dipped in for a jelly baby mid-run, to find that the sweat running down her back had reduced the pocket to a sticky mess. boak.

Anyone ever had issues with there IT (Can't remember how to say, or spell it) Band? Goes in the outside of the left knee?

Was running hill reps and it tightened up horrendously, few days of icing and it's back feeling normal but I'm very conscious of it becoming a "mental" injury, not pushed myself nearly as hard since

Show-off thread for this.

I was once doing the 10k I do near my house and ended up having to stop as I was shaking and weak - I'm not sure if my blood sugar was low but I had that feeling where I just need to eat an apple or something. I went to a corner shop and tanned a bottle of Lucozade. Since then I try to have something with me.

A big bowl of porridge is a good one. I ran my 10k today on an empty stomach as I was pushed for time though.

I get that weak/shaky way from time to time when running. Makes me crave fruit like crazy. I don't eat during runs but try to eat something like grapes or an orange before I run. I find a bottle of Lucozade and a handful of grapes just before a long run gets the best out of me. Not exactly scientific but I've never gone wrong with that.

Keeping the diet generally good helps as well.

Edited by SpoonTon

Anyone ever had issues with there IT (Can't remember how to say, or spell it) Band? Goes in the outside of the left knee?

Was running hill reps and it tightened up horrendously, few days of icing and it's back feeling normal but I'm very conscious of it becoming a "mental" injury, not pushed myself nearly as hard since

If you haven't been doing any stretching it wont go away itself.Get yourself a foam roller,i've had IT band issues but after some work on the IT band by the roller the IT band loosens up and the pain disappears but the actual rolling the first few times is erm.. painful,but stick at it and it gets easier and it really does work,the foam roller has allieviated a good few aches and pains for me i think it's a great tool to have.

Edited by keptie

If you haven't been doing any stretching it wont go away itself.Get yourself a foam roller,i've had IT band issues but after some work on the IT band by the roller the IT band loosens up and the pain disappears but the actual rolling the first few times is erm.. painful,but stick at it and it gets easier and it really does work,the foam roller has allieviated a good few aches and pains for me i think it's a great tool to have.

QFT.

The foam roller is a god send. I use mine every morning and it sorts my knackered legs out.

A good stretch for IT band issues is just standing straight on one leg. I do this every day and it really works - not had an IT band issue since I started doing this.

I find strength work incredibly tedious and boring therefore never manage to stick to doing it with and kind of regularity. So I'm thinking of maybe signing up for a class a the gym to help motivate me a bit for it. Anyone got any advice on which classes might be best for runners? I'm thinking probably body conditioning, kettlebells or pilates.

If your gym does it then body pump classes are the sort of thing you're looking for. Will build up strength but since it's based on lots of reps rather than a big weight shouldn't bulk you up.

There's an alternative that is like a cross between this and metafit, which is GRIT strength which is mental but good.