P&b Running Club

Rome marathon last weekend - finished in 3:31:51. A PB by just over 31 minutes. This was my second marathon, the first being 31 years ago in Glasgow.

The cobbles were a bit of a nightmare; only about 10k of them but it seemed so much more.

The original plan was for this to be my last marathon.. however, I now am planning a quartet next year; Barcelona, Rome, Paris and London = four in six weeks..

The easy bit will be running them, got to get entries first!

Absolutely brilliant stuff, well done! Also love your plan for next year: I'm doing Paris in a couple of weeks and can't wait. London's the only one you'll struggle for entry in, but you can always charity it up if you fancy raising a house deposit and handing it over.

Great running, Ark, congrats!

true_rover, I ran the Kilomathon this morning too; didn't see your earlier post or would have looked out for you. Well done on the PB, that's a big improvement! I finished in 53:42, taking a similar amount off last year's time. Fourth year running, new PB every year :thumsup2 I'm really feeling the benefit of a largely uninterrupted marathon training schedule.

It was the first year anniversary for our local parkrun (Bangor) so there was a real party atmosphere,record turnout of 322 which was brlliant and gold medal winner and local girl Kelly Gallagher started it as guest of honour, lots of cakes and biccies for after the run too,I was timekeeper for yesterday so busy boy.

went out and did a 4 and a quarter mile run today in around 35 minutes , will do a 6 and a half tomorrow ,trying to build up the miles for the Belfast half marathon in September.

true_rover, I ran the Kilomathon this morning too; didn't see your earlier post or would have looked out for you. Well done on the PB, that's a big improvement! I finished in 53:42, taking a similar amount off last year's time. Fourth year running, new PB every year :thumsup2 I'm really feeling the benefit of a largely uninterrupted marathon training schedule.

Well that's 3 years in a row I've done the race and I've made good improvement each time. 53 mins is pretty quick around that course!

Great Edinburgh Run is my next race.

I did a local 2 mile race this evening - first time I've raced any distance other than half marathon. I saw last night that it was on and thought it might be a nice alternative to my normal Tuesday speedwork.

Time was between 12:15 and 12:20 (finished fast and forgot to stop my watch!) which isn't too bad - was hoping for 12 mins but for a first attempt at a short race I'm happy enough. I managed a wee sprint at the end to run down two young kids over the last 50m and beat both on the line; not sure if it was bad form to do that, but can't say I felt bad about it!

I just wish they'd change the medal!

I'll be at GER too. Have you entered the Men's 10k in November? Also finishes in Murrayfield, sounds like a good course.

Even adding a year to it would do the job!

Yeah, it looks good so I think I'll be there - think there is a couple of quid off for parkrunners as well.

Will need to give Portobello a go, don't know whether I'll jog round the first week or wait for the week after the GER. I read about attempts to start a Dunfermline one as well.

The last few weeks have been really frustrating for me, as training has become a bit of a shambles since the Inverness half. I had to quit on a long run again today, although I pretty much knew I'd have to before going out as I've had a horrible cough/cold/muscle ache thing since Wednesday. I did pretty well to do 8 miles, although it was nothing like as far as I wanted - the chest was really struggling on anything slightly uphill. Maybe should have left it altogether, but though it would be better to attempt something, and it was also a really nice day for going out. Probably at least another week until I'm ready to do any hard training again, which is so annoying as it means a lot of the earlier good work will be wasted. Can't be helped though, and I suppose better to have it now than the weekend of the marathon - no way I'd be able to do the race feeling like this. Will probably have to settle for just one long run of 20 miles or more now though.

On a slightly better note, I remembered just in time to get my entry in for the Black Rock 5. All 1000-odd of the online entries sold out within a few hours, so pleased to get in to it. Anyone else doing it?

On a slightly better note, I remembered just in time to get my entry in for the Black Rock 5. All 1000-odd of the online entries sold out within a few hours, so pleased to get in to it. Anyone else doing it?

Yeah, I got my name in the hat. Only realised entries were open thanks to Edinburgh Parkrun posting about it on Facebook - went straight in and signed up there and then. Looking forward to it.

Wouldn't concern yourself with the missed training too much. You're in good form and it's still in the legs; it'll just take a run or two to wake it up again.

Was at Camperdown Parkrun yesterday. Crikey, that's a tough course! More uphill than Tollcross or Falkirk, and almost all of it is in one long kilometre in the middle. Was relieved when it was over. Spent today scouting out Craiglockhart & Braids Hill as early prep for the Seven Hills in June... I guess I need to get used to this sort of thing.

Hopefully that's true about the missed training. I'm pretty sure I'll manage to get the long run distance up to where it needs to be and probably just means I'll have to go slightly easier on it than I'd planned. Maybe no bad thing for a first attempt anyway.

I'm looking forward to the Black Rock as well - it's been really popular for years but I've never been able to run it before. I actually quite like the idea of the steep uphill bit at the end (it really is steep...) as I always go past folk on uphill bits and get caught when going downhill.

New PB at the parkrun this morning 23.42 , 2nd week in a row I got a PB , last weeks time was 24.01 which of course I was pleased with but over the moon with this week, have been targeting sub 24 for a while now and have thrown a short run of 4 miles in between the usual 6 and 7 I'm doing during the week which has helped. Madras and Cobra tonight to celebrate :thumsup2

Edited by Co.Down Hibee

I tried early morning running for a while but just couldn't get into it. I tried it because I didnt want my runs to take up the whole of an evening, but I've since changed things and now go out straight after work if I can, rather than leaving it until after my tea. Definitely the best option for me, and maybe worth trying if mornings are a struggle.

19:54 for me at Edinburgh parkrun yesterday with a 7.5 mile run in the pouring rain this morning. One more run to come on Tuesday before the Great Edinburgh Run on Sunday.

Think I will need a bit of rest afterwards, been pushing through a few minor ankle injuries from jarring one a couple of times at 5's and rolling the other during a run the other week (probably shouldn't have kept going that night!)

Got myself a shiny new marathon PB in Paris yesterday, clocking in at 3:24:33 (according to my watch, haven't seen the official time yet). That's just under 6 minutes off my previous. Delighted!

Legs feel surprisingly okay this morning. Great Edinburgh's next up for me too - nice work on another sub 20 true rover, knocking them out no problem!

Got myself a shiny new marathon PB in Paris yesterday, clocking in at 3:24:33 (according to my watch, haven't seen the official time yet). That's just under 6 minutes off my previous. Delighted!

Good going there, that's a decent improvement. Not sure I'd be keen to do another race just a week after a marathon though! Might be sensible not to race that one at full speed.

I managed 16 miles yesterday despite still struggling with the dregs of this cold. Wasn't quick, but happy to have managed the distance. Strange how it goes - after moaning that my pacing was far too quick on long runs a few weeks ago I'm now moaning that everything is far too slow! Some of it has been because I havent been feeling that great but everything seems a good bit off the paces I was doing back in February. Hopefully some of it comes back in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers guys. Yeah I know what you mean, Socks. Probably should doddle round but I can see myself setting off at race pace and easing back if the legs don't respond. Only entered because a mate's doing it as the first race in a build up to his first marathon. It's a moral support thing!

True rover, I squeezed under 70 minutes last year, so would ideally go a bit quicker. We'll see! What's your target?