P&b Running Club

I see lots of places recommending yoga as being good for running, anyone tried it. I wouldn't mind but am wary of looking like a total weirdo, the only man in a class of bendy female hippies.

I actually do a bit of yoga. It's quite relaxing so I tend not to get as pissed off and bored with it in the house. I swim a lot and find it benefits that as there's a few good posed that help to open up the back, shoulders and chest. It's very useful for running too, particularly for recovery although often routines will have planks and stuff to improve strength. Loads of videos on you tube geared for runners.

2", Joga?! You'd be as well not bothering! I don't have particularly short shorts...if you want to see more flesh, you need to get to know me better first.

+1 for the foam roller suggestion for ITB issues, and for the strength/core training tedium. Bleurgh, but I do feel the benefit even if I'm still pretty ill-disciplined with it.

Went along to my first proper club session on Thursday, and really enjoyed it. A group of around a dozen of us went for a fairly hilly 7 miles around parts of the city I hadn't been round before, and they're a good bunch. They train Tuesdays and Thursdays, and will be going back for the track session on Tuesday. It's going to hurt, but I'm looking forward to it. Went up 4 of the 7 hills as a last recce before the race next Sunday. Hills are hilly. It was fun in a "thank god that's over" kind of way.

For ankle strengthening, I've read that running on the beach or off-road trails / hill paths is good - haven't really done much myself but it does seem logical to do it by running on surfaces that will be slightly harder on the ankles than roads. My dodgy left knee used to buckle quite a bit but hasn't done so since I started running more regularly - I put it down to the extra use strengthening it. I can't really be arsed with weights, so might be another option.

That first week or recovery from the marathon was horrendous for me. I could barely walk for 2 days, then had my first day off work sick in 9 years on the Wednesday with a sickness/diarrhoea thing. Maybe the immune system just a bit weak after the effort of the marathon. Been back to it this week though and quite enjoyed getting out without having to worry about any stupidly long runs.

For anyone interested, Forth Road Bridge 10k is on 9th August. It was meant to open for entries today, but don't see anything up yet. Likely to sel out quickly though, as many entries will already be taken with folk given free entry after last year's cancellation.

Don't see anything for entries for the Forth Road Bridge 10k yet, but they're saying 100+ have used their deferrals. Not sure if I'll go for it yet, I've got a half in Haddington on the Saturday.

Track session on Tuesday was great; 7 x 800m with the last the quickest at 2:40. Followed it up on Wednesday with a decent 5 miles on Wednesday, and managed my first sub-20 parkrun of the year this morning. Hurrah! Ticking along nicely.

Don't see anything for entries for the Forth Road Bridge 10k yet, but they're saying 100+ have used their deferrals. Not sure if I'll go for it yet, I've got a half in Haddington on the Saturday.

Track session on Tuesday was great; 7 x 800m with the last the quickest at 2:40. Followed it up on Wednesday with a decent 5 miles on Wednesday, and managed my first sub-20 parkrun of the year this morning. Hurrah! Ticking along nicely.

7 x 800m is a tough workload. 80 second laps is not bad at all for the distance mate, especially on the last rep.

Done the mens 10k in Glasgow today. Provisional time of 44:09. I ran Balfron at the end of May in 44:15 over what was probably a tougher course, but I'm happy because I've really struggled with training since then and I was alot more comfortable today (running -ve splits) and last time out I felt like I was about to crash out. My watch measured todays course a tenth of a mile long (strava says i ran 10k in 42:53) and talking to other runners they had the same results.

Will probably sign up for the HM at the great Scottish run and find a 10k somewhere between now and then to keep things ticking over.

Cheers Bishy. Most of the rest weren't too close, the next fastest (as asked) was a 2:45 for the 4th. In other news, got round the 7 Hills today in one piece. That was really tough, but I'm glad I did it. Boy, some of those climbs are steep.

Good stuff, ark loyal, got to be happy with that. The Paisley 10k's at the end of August, I think, if you're in the hunt for races.

Done the mens 10k in Glasgow today. Provisional time of 44:09. I ran Balfron at the end of May in 44:15 over what was probably a tougher course, but I'm happy because I've really struggled with training since then and I was alot more comfortable today (running -ve splits) and last time out I felt like I was about to crash out. My watch measured todays course a tenth of a mile long (strava says i ran 10k in 42:53) and talking to other runners they had the same results.

Will probably sign up for the HM at the great Scottish run and find a 10k somewhere between now and then to keep things ticking over.

I ran it in 44.59 yesterday, which was a PB. It was a very good course for it. My aim was to run under 45 minutes, and despite almost messing up by slowing down to look out for my wife and kid on the final straight (slowed down too much and had to sprint the final 20 metres or so), it was the most comfortable I've ever been on a 10k race. Endomondo had it at 44.40 on my phone, within the usual margin of error for that.

Edited by SpoonTon

Can anyone advise start times for GSR 10k and half. Thanks

The HM was off at 11 last year. Think the 10k was an hour before it.

Normally 9.30 for 10k and 11 for half.

Some madskulls run the 10k, jog back up to George Sq, and then run the half as well.

Whereas I could barely get to Greggs the year I did the half.

I did the Glenrothes 10k on Sunday, not too bad a course and always nice to finish on a running track for the sprint for the end. Finished in 41:39 so only two seconds off PB from Glasgow last year. Next race for me is the Musselburgh 10k next month, looks dead flat so a good chance of getting under the PB this time.

Good going again from everyone who did a race at the weekend there.

As for these folk that do two race back to back on the same day, there was someone last year who did all 4 events at EMF, including running the half on the sunday morning, getting a lift on a bike back to the start then doing the full marathon! Not for me...

I'm going to try two short races on successive nights next week - local one miler in a nearby park on Tuesday then a 5 mile on Wednesday. Should be fine as long a this nippy groin strain stops bugging me. I seem to have had all sorts of stupid wee injuries the last few months that aren't enough to cause serious problems, but enough to disrupt training for a few days - it's a bit annoying.

Have entered the Musselburgh 10k as well - as long as I make the start, I'm guaranteed a PB since it'll be the first 10k I've ever done!

Having done the 10k a couple of times, and as it's a Sunday and rail travel in Scotland being what it is, it was really difficult to be in Glasgow in decent time for an 09.30 start. So I initially thought that might help, but then I don't think that 15 minutes would make that much of a differnce.

I notice that the HM is being televised on BBC2 again, so the start time of 11.30 is probably more to do with that.