P&b Running Club

happy days , new PB at the parkrun this morning, 22:47 so an improvement of 12 seconds, won't be running for a couple of weeks now as flying off to Gran Canaria on Tuesday. Interrupts the training schedule for the Belfast half in September but beer and sunshine is a calling... 8)

Good stuff Rowan, glad to hear you're getting there with it even if it can be low going getting back.

Well done Co.Down, got to be happy with that improvement. How long have you got til your half?

Was good to get a blether to Morrion and true_rover after yeterday's Muselburgh 10k. One thing though folks - if we happen to meet after a race again and my face is covered in slavers, go and tell me. I didn't realise that I was abolutely covered in them til I saw it in the car mirror! I think we were all happy enough with our times, which weren't bad at all given the pretty severe gale the race was run in.

Think I overdid it a bit today though. I felt fine this morning and went out for 14 miles, but it was a bit too far after yeterday's effort. 10 would have been plenty, but as always seems the way when that happens, I was miles from home and had to carry on.

Good stuff Rowan, glad to hear you're getting there with it even if it can be low going getting back.

Well done Co.Down, got to be happy with that improvement. How long have you got til your half?

Was good to get a blether to Morrion and true_rover after yeterday's Muselburgh 10k. One thing though folks - if we happen to meet after a race again and my face is covered in slavers, go and tell me. I didn't realise that I was abolutely covered in them til I saw it in the car mirror! I think we were all happy enough with our times, which weren't bad at all given the pretty severe gale the race was run in.

Think I overdid it a bit today though. I felt fine this morning and went out for 14 miles, but it was a bit too far after yeterday's effort. 10 would have been plenty, but as always seems the way when that happens, I was miles from home and had to carry on.

Thanks Socks,September 20th, so have a bit of time, have done plenty of running up to this point ,as I said holiday has kind of come at an inconvenient time but there you are, aiming for 2 hours as I've never done one before ,up to 9.5 now at a 8.40 pace which I'm comfortable with so just get out a good bit when I come back.

I thought it was a style thing, Socks, didn't even cross my mind to mention it :lol:

It was good to meet you both. The wind did make it a pain as soon as we turned around just after 6k so was a bit surprised to find a PB was still on at 9 if the foot went down again; pleased with a 32s improvement and exactly 2m 30s quicker than last year's time round the same course. Incidentally, my foot is in pieces again now! It's on to the injury bench for a wee while, I think.

Good stuff, Co. Down. Sounds like you're way ahead of schedule for your half.

Did you make it along to Portobello parkrun, Duffy? It's a really nice course.

I'd entered again for this year's Sydney City 2 Surf. My grand plans of training every 3rd day have not come to fruition. It's now 3 weeks to the run and tonight was my first proper run since August last year! Did OK but I think I might be better to knock it on the head.

Going to start training seriously for the Great Scottish Run now that I'm back from holiday. Only managed three runs while away - I went for a short dot about the village we were in and went for runs on a couple of beaches. It was great running along barefoot as the water lapped my feet.

I was planning on doing four runs a week - one 3-4km run just as a primer, a 10km run, a 7-8km run and then a longer 10 miler. Then with about month to go I'll up the 10 miler to get better distance.

Does that sound OK?

Going to start training seriously for the Great Scottish Run now that I'm back from holiday. Only managed three runs while away - I went for a short dot about the village we were in and went for runs on a couple of beaches. It was great running along barefoot as the water lapped my feet.

I was planning on doing four runs a week - one 3-4km run just as a primer, a 10km run, a 7-8km run and then a longer 10 miler. Then with about month to go I'll up the 10 miler to get better distance.

Does that sound OK?

I'm worn out just reading it :)

I'm no expert... I did a few 10kms before the GSR and while I ran the entire thing, I was like a new-born baby giraffe the day after.

After a couple of years of running I've realised that lungs aren't the stumbling block if you can find your pace, it's the legs, feet, thighs, ankles, groin, calves etc.

I'm worn out just reading it :)

I'm no expert... I did a few 10kms before the GSR and while I ran the entire thing, I was like a new-born baby giraffe the day after.

After a couple of years of running I've realised that lungs aren't the stumbling block if you can find your pace, it's the legs, feet, thighs, ankles, groin, calves etc.

Yup. Really important to get the distance in the legs by running the longer distances regularly. Otherwise you'll get to a point when your legs will start to rebel. I have a cliff face that my lap times will fall off when I get to a distance I'm not used to.

I've not got a huge amount of time this week but my GSR training will probably be a little bit of speed training on Wednesday and Thursday (nothing too time consuming) then 5k on Saturday (parkrun if it suits) and 15k on Sunday. I'll work up my Sunday distance over the next few weeks and then add a second long run in the last month or so to work on my pace.

I had a nightmare at the GSR last year. Training was great but for some reason my legs started cramping up after about 13-14k. I'd never experienced anything like it before despite running regularly at that distance. The strange thing was that it eased up in the last 2-3k - I had the leftover feeling of the cramp but was able to recover my pace. I lost about 10 minutes in that period though and really considered quitting. I don't really know what it was all about.

Talking of nightmare runs, last night I tripped over a tree root and did a bit of a Klinsmann. Scraped my arm up pretty good - I was just relieved that no one saw it happen. Still had about 10k to go as well.

Another 4k last night. Walked the last k probably because I'd had popcorn and pizza for dinner and not exactly Ideal pre jog! But was agitated and it's a good way to settle.

Toying with entering the gsr 10k but that hill!

I thought it was a style thing, Socks, didn't even cross my mind to mention it :lol:

It was good to meet you both. The wind did make it a pain as soon as we turned around just after 6k so was a bit surprised to find a PB was still on at 9 if the foot went down again; pleased with a 32s improvement and exactly 2m 30s quicker than last year's time round the same course. Incidentally, my foot is in pieces again now! It's on to the injury bench for a wee while, I think.

Good stuff, Co. Down. Sounds like you're way ahead of schedule for your half.

Did you make it along to Portobello parkrun, Duffy? It's a really nice course.

I was delighted with my time, especially in that wind! Not sure I'd have managed it without going off at the pace you set morrison so thanks for that. Good to have a chat after the race with you guys as well.

Took the plunge and bought myself a new Garmin to replace my one that broke over the weekend (although it does look like the superglue might hold it!)

Another 4k last night. Walked the last k probably because I'd had popcorn and pizza for dinner and not exactly Ideal pre jog! But was agitated and it's a good way to settle.

Toying with entering the gsr 10k but that hill!

At least the hill is at the start rather than the end!

Does that sound OK?

Sounds perfect, as SpoonTon says. The one thing I'd add that hasn't been mentioned is to make sure your long run is slower than your intended race pace; the aim of that session is to get you used to the time on your feet and doing it too quickly will just leave you shattered in the long run. Dial the distance back with a fortnight to go so you're fresh on the day.

I was delighted with my time, especially in that wind! Not sure I'd have managed it without going off at the pace you set morrison so thanks for that. Good to have a chat after the race with you guys as well.

Took the plunge and bought myself a new Garmin to replace my one that broke over the weekend (although it does look like the superglue might hold it!)

Glad to help; it was a bit of conundrum you were in with no watch, so handy we bumped into each other before than run and are so evenly matched! Which Garmin did you get?

Rowan - I won't try and tempt you, but...y'know...it might be fun ^_^

I went for the Vivoactive, Amazon had money off it yesterday. Will be handy since I (try to) play golf as well.

Think I might have enjoyed the last few km a bit more without going at that pace, just without the PB!

I went for the Vivoactive, Amazon had money off it yesterday. Will be handy since I (try to) play golf as well.

Think I might have enjoyed the last few km a bit more without going at that pace, just without the PB!

Would be interested to hear how you find the Vivoactive as I'm thinking about getting one myself

I'm ridiculously excited that my 50 club tee-shirt from Parkrun is getting delivered today. Been a while since I qualified, and I must admit it was one of the things that pushed me to do 50. Now on 63, but the 100 doesn't seem as important somehow