P&b Running Club

Well done on your first 5k that's a good time after just two weeks training. I reckon your time will plummet if you stick to it, but don't get carried away.

When it comes to a 5k I don't think food is all that important. What do you normally eat for breakfast? If it is just toast or cereal then I'd just eat that, don't go eating anything unusual or anything too heavy. As for timing I normally would eat breakfast a couple of hours before.

My tip for you would be to get there early enough to do a brief warm-up. It doesn't have to be much, even a 10 minute brisk walk will get the heart pumping a bit.

I'm amazed at the number of people that just get out the car and start running without any warm up at all. It makes the run so much harder.

Yeah for a 5km race the food is not that important. Anything above that then I would really recommend porridge - always have a bigger bowl than usual before running.

Did another Sunday morning 1 hour run this morning. Managed to cover 14.7km and am now in good enough running shape to think about a Half Marathon.I am considering signing up for the Balloch to Clydebank Half Marathon on 09 March. Anyone done it before? If so, is it a good course?

Edited by BishyTON

Yeah for a 5km race the food is not that important. Anything above that then I would really recommend porridge - always have a bigger bowl than usual before running.

Did another Sunday morning 1 hour run this morning. Managed to cover 14.7km and am now in good enough running shape to think about a Half Marathon.I am considering signing up for the Balloch to Clydebank Half Marathon on 09 March. Anyone done it before? If so, is it a good course?

I was meant to do it last year but was injured so gave my place to a mate.

He loved it and got a half marathon pb. So I don't think it's a slow course.

Went for my first proper run since October, yesterday morning. 5 extremely hilly km's. Managed it in 33 minutes, which is about 6 minutes over the pace I could do it at in September of last year. I reckon that would put my flat 5km time at about 25 minutes, compared to approx 22 minutes which I could manage if I pushed myself when I was running regularly.

Lots of work to be done.

Not done it but know the route. After Dumbarton it takes the cycle path along to Dalmuir. Pretty flat all the way and smooth under foot. Most get a bit borning though as there isnt much to see bar the odd ned and swan.

Was reading on Ronnie O'Sullivan's Wikipedia page that not only is he a dab hand with a snooker cue, he's also a very good middle-distance runner. His PB for the 10k is 34m 54s.

Yeah, he was interviewed on a fairly recent episode of the Marathon Talk podcast and was really modest (far too modest) about his running ability.

I think he said that he enjoys running more than snooker and that he'll maybe do the Great North Run soon.

Yeah, he was interviewed on a fairly recent episode of the Marathon Talk podcast and was really modest (far too modest) about his running ability.

I think he said that he enjoys running more than snooker and that he'll maybe do the Great North Run soon.

Bah. Some guys have all the luck. Meanwhile, my best 10k time is a rather more modest 52 minutes, and my highest break in snooker is about 17.

I've no idea if it is any good or not, but you have just inspired me to enter it. I haven't run that far in over 2 years, so it will be fun!

I was meant to do it last year but was injured so gave my place to a mate.

He loved it and got a half marathon pb. So I don't think it's a slow course.

Thanks mate - will probably be giving this a go.

I've no idea if it is any good or not, but you have just inspired me to enter it. I haven't run that far in over 2 years, so it will be fun!

My last (and first) Half Marathon was GSR 2011. It was a disaster as I went out too fast and blew up with three miles to go and struggled home in 1hr 46 mins or so. Had been on pace for well sub 1hr 40 mins but the pacing issue and lack of training near event due to illness did me in.

Injury and stamina put me out of the running for 2012 and 2013.

Hoping for sub 1 hour 25 mins (1 hour 27 mins at least) at some point this year.

Was reading on Ronnie O'Sullivan's Wikipedia page that not only is he a dab hand with a snooker cue, he's also a very good middle-distance runner. His PB for the 10k is 34m 54s.

That is very impressive. And another reason to dislike him lol.

Managed my 25th run to work today - 8.5miles and 135m elevation.

Started doing them end of September, and aiming to complete 50 before August. On track!

I've never ran home from work, it's about 22 miles and quite hilly. I might do it as a long run 5 weeks out from my marathon (if I can keep injury free).

Edited by Ziggy

Completed my first ever 10k last night and amazed myself in finishing just under 56mins. Was convinced it would take me over an hour.

I had no real expectations (other than losing a few stone) when I started running at the beginning of November but now considering entering a few races in 2014 to try and get the time down.

How do you rank as a runner?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/interactive/2013/aug/06/rank-runner-5k-time-interactive-guide?INTCMP=mic_231995

Pretty nifty, this. Put in your 5K time and it'll show you what percentile of runners you're in.

My most recent time of 27:01 puts me in the bottom 20-29% of runners.

My PB of about 21 minutes puts me in the top 11-20%. Don't think I'll be getting that any time soon :lol: