P&b Running Club

Gutted re the southside six - I can't make the GSR this year so I was wanting to do this one. The route almost goes past my house so I might go out and watch longingly at you lucky b*****ds. :(

I find my lungs get really sore in the cold weather, but I've got a nice once weekly run going from work to home (8km), which I cover in just under 40 minutes. When the weather gets better I'll rework it to take me up the steps at Queens Park.

6 mile X-C race done today in 45:27 very painful, but pleasurable minutes.

Well done mate!

How did the Balloch - Clydebank HM entrants get on?

Felt guilty for missing it so did a half marathon training run at as close to 4.46/km as possible (my easy run rate). Ended up averaging 4.35/km and finished the 21.1km in 1 hour 36 mins on the nose. Not even tired tbh - so much easier going at that pace than at my normal rate.

Edited by BishyTON

Well done mate!

How did the Balloch - Clydebank HM entrants get on?

Felt guilty for missing it so did a half marathon training run at as close to 4.46/km as possible (my easy run rate). Ended up averaging 4.35/km and finished the 21.1km in 1 hour 36 mins on the nose. Not even tired tbh - so much easier going at that pace than at my normal rate.

It's next week. Well I hope it is or I've missed it.

My next aim rather than a 10k after managing two comfortably this week is the Edinburgh half marathon.

Haven't been able to go out over weekend due to strain and I can tell its impact on my mental health!

Cambuslang 'down by the river' 10k yesterday. Good conditions for it. Carrying a bit of a strain on one of my left leg quad muscles, so was a bit uncomfortable - especially the first km. Clocked in 49:26 which given the leg issue I'm fairly happy about.

Its actually a good flat traffic free route along the clyde, so will be using it for training runs.My next 10 is a flat one too (Grangemouth), so hopefully a few days off will sort the strained muscle and I can dig in for that.

Silverstone half yesterday, and a new PB of 1:34:30, taking 23 seconds off my previous. Well chuffed.

I was on 7 minute miles for the first five, but as the wind picked up my legs went. I was stubborn enough to keep the pace where it needed to be. Didn't think I had that sort of form in me just now.

Next up is the 13.1k Kilomathon in Edinburgh in a fortnight.

I've downloaded a half marathon training app but furthest you run in it is 6 miles. Is that normal?

It has been said that if you can run 8 miles then you can do a half marathon. I think it's ridiculous.

When I plan a training plan there is an increase from 6 to 12 miles in the long, slow runs. I also put in a few faster 5 x 2 mile, 4 x 3 mile, 3 x 4 mile, 2 x 5 mile rep with 5-10 mins rest between reps. I put in a couple of tempo runs (90% effort) of 10-11 miles. I also put in a 15 mile run so that I know I have the miles in my legs. The pace of that is slower than race pace. I also do a few 20min out then 18 back, 30min out -27 back, 50min out 45min back.

I've found the BUPA programme and it seems better. Can pick up week 5 of the programme based on what I'm doing at moment. Aim is around 2hr 30mins. Need to improve my aerobic fitness.

Pollok Parkrun for the first time in a while this morning. Time was 18:39, an agonising one second outside course pb! Still better than expected due to limited running recently.

Edited by BishyTON

I've found the BUPA programme and it seems better. Can pick up week 5 of the programme based on what I'm doing at moment. Aim is around 2hr 30mins. Need to improve my aerobic fitness.

The 1st 4 weeks are to build up a base fitness.

Did the parkrun today. Pb'd.... again. By a minute....again. After going under the sub-21 min time for the 3rd time ever 3 weeks ago I ran 19mins 50secs today. So based on current progress I'm up for representing Scotland in the commonwealth games for the 5k.... I think I'll be down to about 11-12 mins at this rate!!!

I need a new aim for 5k now? Think it's going to just have to be a continued improvement till I get close to sub-19mins.

The 1st 4 weeks are to build up a base fitness.

Did the parkrun today. Pb'd.... again. By a minute....again. After going under the sub-21 min time for the 3rd time ever 3 weeks ago I ran 19mins 50secs today. So based on current progress I'm up for representing Scotland in the commonwealth games for the 5k.... I think I'll be down to about 11-12 mins at this rate!!!

I need a new aim for 5k now? Think it's going to just have to be a continued improvement till I get close to sub-19mins.

Well done!! Sub 20 is a big landmark. (Well it was for me anyway)

19 mins 30 secs should be your next aim. I always aim for the next 30 secs quicker rather than minute as it makes it more of a possibility.

I agree with Bishy. Sub 19'30 should be your next goal. It's close enough to be motivating whilst still being tough to achieve. The difference between sub 20 & sub 19 is huge so you need an intermediate target.

I did the Balloch to Clydebank Half today. I had told myself that I was just going to use it as a training run but before it even started I knew I was just kidding myself on. So having decided on racing it I set off trying to do each mile around 6'45 pace. All of the miles were done in between 6'40 & 6'50 apart from the last one which I did in 6'23.

Really pleased with a new PB of about 1'28"30 but even more pleased with how easy it seemed. The pace of that last mile makes me think I should have tried to go a little bit quicker earlier on.

The bad news is that I have blisters on the end of just about every toe. I recently got custom insoles made and whilst they seem to have helped my running I've yet to find a combination of trainers and socks that don't hurt the end of my toes.

I might have to buy a new pair of trainers but it's a bit close to my marathon to be breaking in new trainers.