P&b Running Club

Congrats on the sub-18min 5k. What does your core training consist of?

Thanks mate. Nothing special - just loads of situps, leg raises and bicycles (with three second hold in position on each one). Do them in between my weights in the gym - 4 sets of 30 (3 sec hold) bicycles, 4 sets of 35 leg raises and about 70-80 situps.

Excellent time, Bishy, super speedy!

I feel utterly broken at the moment. I did a bit of hillwalking on Friday and my hips and thighs are really suffering for it. I also have a bit of a sore back. Someone really ought to just put me down...

Edited by Reina

Ran 10k with a workout on the outdoor gym on Monday & Tuesday last week for the first time in about 4 months.........was aching Wednesday & Thursday!

Diet has gone well over the winter months so just need to step up the running back up to 4-6 times a week.

Did 8k yesterday, slowly working distance back up. Time per k is coming down but got stuck at traffic for 30secs yestrday!

One of my pet hates when out. Not crossing roads generally, but that scenario where you're coming along towards a side road you'll need to cross, and you see a car signalling to either enter that side road, or you see a car that is going to leave the side road. You can see that you and the car are going to hit the junction at the same time, so if you have it in the tank, you speed up and get across, no problem. If not, however, you slow down to try to keep the rhythm going, and then, at the last minute, usually when you've just about (or actually have) stopped altogether, the bugger waves or flashes you across before them. Thanks for being polite, but could you not have let me know you were going to let me go first 5 or 10 seconds ago, before I chopped and changed my stride pattern?

My hatred towards this scenario increases in proportion to how far into the run and knackered I am, peaking at that point you get to where ANY change of pace or even a mild change of direction seems monumentally difficult.

Managed to enter the Ballot on the way to work on the train.

At 06.59am

It's getting ridiculous trying to get a place in this race. They are reducing the qualifying times to limit the number of folk earning a place through performance (not that I need to worry about that).

Seemingly the lowest minimum for charity is £1600. That's a lot of cash. Suppose the charity places are big business. I couldn't cope with the stress of trying to raise that. It was stressful enough with no target when I did my 5k in January!!

Have people paid their entry up front? I have it in my head you get extra places in the ballot if you do, but I didn't bother last year. Missed it altogether this time round, but my mate coughed up the entry.

The charity thing is crazy. I've no issue with people raising money for a cause they're passionate about, but I also wouldn't mind if charities took up fewer spots in return for lower sponsorship amounts. It's not like there are a shortage of people willing to run the thing. I'm sure I've read it's only really the UK that has this charity culture when it comes to running... I'm sounding like a right grouch here!

Considering attempting to get a Good For Age time at Loch Ness, but the qualifying time's probably a bit too fast. Ah well, plenty other runs about these days.

Incidentally, about 13-14k tonight; really easy pace as was out with other people.

Thanks mate. Nothing special - just loads of situps, leg raises and bicycles (with three second hold in position on each one). Do them in between my weights in the gym - 4 sets of 30 (3 sec hold) bicycles, 4 sets of 35 leg raises and about 70-80 situps.

You can also include planks and side planks into that. Throw in some body weight exercises like press ups, pull ups and leg raises (like Jane Fonda did). I also do hurdle drills that help too, but I'd like to be Ashton Eaton!

You can also include planks and side planks into that. Throw in some body weight exercises like press ups, pull ups and leg raises (like Jane Fonda did). I also do hurdle drills that help too, but I'd like to be Ashton Eaton!

Yeah agree with all of that.

My first week of training seriously

Distance - 31.61 km

Time - 193 mins

Pace - 5.89m/h

Speed - 10.28 km/h

I think I'm probably a bit faster than that - I did six runs, two of which were after work which involves running after a 12 hour shift, carrying a backpack and climbing over a couple of fences :lol:

Still targetting the Black Rock 5.

Edited by ICTChris