P&b Running Club

Should I be setting any targets regarding kms/miles run? Or just what I'm able to do?

I've been lucky with my legs as they've always been muscular/powerful. Have always been able to cycle for miles although I know running will be more difficult!

In the beginning, I just aimed for 5k in 30 mins. Over the years, I've been pushing that time down, chipping away at it, completing my first 24:xx 5k in the summer. Have lost a bit of fitness now and have been eating too much shite, so nowhere near that at the moment! I would say it depends what you want? Would you prefer a longer distance or a faster time over a short distance?

I had a very pleasant hour on the trails this afternoon - muddy, hilly, slow...

Sorry, not sure how to multiquote on my phone.

Cheers to you too. Would it be better to hang off for a couple of weeks to get my fitness up or just throw myself into it?

Just throw yourself into it. You can start off with the 2k if you want, but if you are able to run 2 miles then you should be fine for the 5k imo.

It'd be good (or at least I'd find it so) to get in an early run with Bishy's lot or at a parkrun as an early benchmark, Allan.  As you work at it over the weeks you'll get stronger, and one of the most satisfying things about running is seeing the times tumble as a result.

Reina's got a point too, though.  Find nice places to run.  That just makes the whole thing more enjoyable!

I liked the chat about marathon times.  I'd agree with Socks that there seems a fairly strong correlation between 5k - half marathon times with the calculators, but after that I think the training makes a big difference.  I don't think the calculators necessarily throw out inaccurate marathon predictions, but give a strong indicator of what's possible with a near 'perfect' training cycle.  And we don't often get those!

I've said at least once on here before that I like to go into longer races with Gold/Silver/Bronze targets in mind before you start (stolen shamelessly from a wiser friend before my first marathon).  It'd be rubbish to get so hung up on a certain goal that you become dispirited early on if it's not going to plan. Having said that, I've still failed to medal on occasion  :bairn

Greenock is a great course. Running along the Esplanade with amazing scenery across the Clyde. Just make sure it is a nice day when you go as on a bad day it is almost impossible to run as it is so exposed.

Edited by BishyTON

Just finished my first Parkrun, clocked it at 27:30 which I'm delighted with as was aiming for 30 minutes. Fr a bit of a stitch at the end, probably due to having a three course meal and a few pints last night, #athlete

Just finished my first Parkrun, clocked it at 27:30 which I'm delighted with as was aiming for 30 minutes. Fr a bit of a stitch at the end, probably due to having a three course meal and a few pints last night, #athlete

Sounds like my kind of training programme :thumsup2 , well done mate if that's your first then the minutes will tumble down once you get in the swing of it, as for this mornings event due to it utterly pishing down this morning i declined.

Nice one. I hope you slowed down at the end...don't want to give yourself a target that's too hard to beat! A friend of mine's yet to beat her first parkrun time.

I was there is morning too. Each km slightly faster than the previous, but quite a way down on my best. Tired legs, and not recovered right from a boozey Thursday. Hey ho.

I had a comparatively poor run this morning at a puddle covered Pollok Park. Was aiming to go sub 17 for the first time there (my best is 18'02" a few years ago) but a mixture of heavy legs and the crap weather led to a disappointing 18'21".

I know that sounds good, but I was only 16 seconds quicker than at Tollcross a fortnight ago (which as Morrison will attest is a far tougher course) and was coming off a super run last week of 9'58" at the Recovery 3k at Hogganfield Loch.

Looking forward to 3k on the Green on Friday though - should be fun!

Cheers - definitely looking to do one of these parkruns within the next couple of weeks. Feel like I've been run over by a bus but it's all good.

Any other good parkruns anyone can recommend outside the Glasgow-based ones? Edinburgh? Stirling? Fife even? Obviously once I've got a few under my belt.

Forgot to mention there is another free 5k at Springburn Park as part of the Recovery series. The entry link is below. It finishes up with a free 10k on September at Glasgow Green as well.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/recovery-runners-5k2k-childrens-race-tickets-19359677316

parkrun for me this morning - first time I've actually run it as I've always been a volunteer! Considering I've lost a load of fitness, a 26:20 time was very pleasing indeed. 14th female home and 2nd in my age group. Chuffed :) Not a PB by a long way, but it's a start!

Decided to have a thrash at Parkrun yesterday to see if the new regime of spin/boot/kettle classes has been helping: went round Hazlehead and smacked in a 1 minute PB at 25.30. Manged 5.5 easy-ish miles down the beach this morning with no trouble.

Bouncing back! Might try and shoot for sub-25 at the beach this Sat.

Hope everyone is in decent nick, got a hunch this summer might be a good one.

I don't have a watch, but since I listen to music anyway, I use Runkeeper's audio cues to ensure I don't go off like a rocket. I still go off like a rocket, but after 0.5km, I realise I'm going to be knackered very soon and calm the pace accordingly. 

I average around 5 minutes per km, although I've done a Parkrun in 23:30... however, for the Iceland marathon, I think I'm going to have to calm the pace to about 5m 30 / km, otherwise I'll never finish it. 

I have Runkeeper but don't use the audio stuff. I hate to know how fast/far/long I've been going until the end. I feel it puts me off a bit and makes things seem to drag longer. It can also be a bit disheartening when I'm out for a run, think I've been going for ages and discover it's only been 15 minutes/two miles/whatever. I just try to pick a pace at the start and then go with what I'm comfortable on.

I've even stopped listening to music as you can roughly work out how far you've been going depending on how long a song lasts. Instead I've started listening to really long podcasts and if I finish them then it clicks onto the music and I know I can't have long to go. Graham Hunter's Big Interview ones with various football folk are fantastic for this and I'd thoroughly recommend them. It probably seems a bit of a strange approach but it works.

In between my knees playing up I've managed to go on a few longer runs lately - a couple of 10 mile ones and even eked out an 11 one last week and averaging just under 9 minutes a mile, which surprised me as I thought I was going really slow in places due to a bit of a breeze. Dunno if I'm pushing myself too hard, maybe this is why I've had problems with my knees lately!

Wish we had these park runs in Dumfries, someone has recently started a kids one but no good for me. Not even aware of any in Paisley for when I'm back up the road.

I had a comparatively poor run this morning at a puddle covered Pollok Park. Was aiming to go sub 17 for the first time there (my best is 18'02" a few years ago) but a mixture of heavy legs and the crap weather led to a disappointing 18'21".

I know that sounds good, but I was only 16 seconds quicker than at Tollcross a fortnight ago (which as Morrison will attest is a far tougher course) and was coming off a super run last week of 9'58" at the Recovery 3k at Hogganfield Loch.

Yep. I've only ran each of them once, but Tollcross is a lot lumpier (a lot more lumpy?) than Pollok!  And smaller, which is also nice.

The times you're posting are great compared to the rest of us on here, but it's also a relative thing.  At least you've got something tangible you can point to as contributing factors.

Decided to have a thrash at Parkrun yesterday to see if the new regime of spin/boot/kettle classes has been helping: went round Hazlehead and smacked in a 1 minute PB at 25.30. Manged 5.5 easy-ish miles down the beach this morning with no trouble.

Bouncing back! Might try and shoot for sub-25 at the beach this Sat.

Hope everyone is in decent nick, got a hunch this summer might be a good one.

Cracking stuff.  I've heard Hazlehead is a tough course, too?

Stu - might well look up your podcast recommendation; that's what I do on my longer runs to pass the time.  Tends to be MarathonTalk, Football Weekly, and picked up on Dan Carlin's Hardcore Histories (3-4 hours each) after someone mentioned it on the Podcasts thread a while back.  Having your nearest parkrun in Carlisle's a bit of a pest, though.

Twenty rain-laden miles for me today, I don't think there was a time of the day I could've escaped it.  First 10 were relatively easy pace over the hilly part of my route, the final 10 (ended up being 9 due to the driving wind/rain) at my attempted marathon pace.  Thankfully I've dried off with no obvious signs of a cold, and my legs feel okay too.  Things are looking positive.

I'm another one that was at Edinburgh parkrun. A good run for me, 19:14 - it's about 30 seconds away from my PB but think that could be around my limit this year with focusing on longer distances.

And nice to finish ahead of morrison for once, I'm ignoring how he felt!!

And a good 8 mile run this morning, felt a bit early to be out after the clocks going forward but a good pace regardless.

Edited by true_rover

Nice hilly 4 miles along the cliffs this evening. Feeling strong. I have worked out that my trainers are the source of my knee pain (have worn my old trainers on my last couple of runs and my knees have been absolutely fine). Gutted - £120 down the pan. Bah.