P&b Running Club

I've got a route near me which is ideal for a good time. First kilometre is almost all downhill so can get that out the way sharp then it's a straight road for about 2k and turn back to finish just before a wee hill. Once the temperature drops, I'll give that a bash in the evening.

My ultimate goal is to get below 20 minutes. Not sure it's really feasible though (at least without a serious amount of sprinting up and down hills which I hate). I'm 42 and my fastest ever 5k was 22:00 at Perth parkrun last year. 
Plenty of guys in their mid 40s doing sub 20s. No reason you cant be one With some smart training.

What has started getting me is the recovery though. Now im mid thirtys a workout that i would have recovered from overnight in my late 20s has me written off for a week now.

I cant imagine that gets any better into your 40s

14 minutes ago, the tungston weasel said:

Plenty of guys in their mid 40s doing sub 20s. No reason you cant be one With some smart training.

What has started getting me is the recovery though. Now im mid thirtys a workout that i would have recovered from overnight in my late 20s has me written off for a week now.

I cant imagine that gets any better into your 40s

What do you mean by recovery? You mean doing a really long run or something?

What do you mean by recovery? You mean doing a really long run or something?
Recovery as in just feeling able to go again the next day or the day after.

I used to be able to go 100% in every run i did and then do the same in the evening or the next day.

Now i need to rest for at least a day if i go 100%

On 24/04/2020 at 15:30, deej said:

I'm needing a new pair of running shoes, found some Nikes online but their website won't allow me to order them for some unknown reason. 

Where else is good for buying running shoes? 

And any recommendations? I know it's down to what suits you, I don't go too often, probably around 3-4 miles 2-4 times a week on roads around me. 

If you know what you want the sale/outlet bit of the Sports Direct website is decent: https://www.sportsdirect.com/sale/running

Like anything with them it's hit or miss, but last year I got the same Brooks running shoes (colour scheme slightly different) I previously had in the right size for about half the price I'd paid at the shop in Carlisle the year before, which was a good deal at the time. Might be worth a look once Ashley puts the slaves back into the gulag.

Jealous of some folk's 5k times/targets. Never managed under 20 minutes (or under 40 minutes for a 10k). I don't do them very often mind you, I prefer longer runs and usually help out at parkruns so maybe something I need to aim for once some sort of normality returns.

13 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

I used to be able to go 100% in every run i did and then do the same in the evening or the next day.

I always give it 100% but I'm usually fine the next day. Maybe that means I'm not giving it 100% then!

13 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

I'm 31 and definitely finding that recovery is crucial. I try and run 6 days a week (clocked up 46 miles last week).

I've been getting into yoga for beginners, plenty of foam rolling etc to try and speed up recovery. I've definitely noticed a difference.

Strava indicates that the 6k I just waded through was my first run since November. The last two weeks of lockdown have been almost exclusively sitting and and alcohol.

If you imagine how harrowing that 6k was, youl probably get 10% of the way there [emoji1785]

I've seen various videos of folk running marathon distance in their back gardens.

Not to mention the mind-numbing boredness that this must be, surely this will absolutely f**k people's ankles turning so often in the same direction?

A wee 6k for me this morning in just over 29 minutes. Warm!

27 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've seen various videos of folk running marathon distance in their back gardens.

Not to mention the mind-numbing boredness that this must be, surely this will absolutely f**k people's ankles turning so often in the same direction?

I couldn't do it. I could simply not run end to end on my balcony for any amount of time through utter boredom. I love running out on the streets because I can change my route, go longer if I want and above all, go down to the river where it's amazing in the sunshine which distracts me... as well as my podcasts. 

The thought of it gives me the fear. I don't tend to enjoy long runs anyway, because in my head, I feel like it will never end. Almost like a prison sentence. Back and forth in such a small area would be my personal hell. I hate running without clear progress being made.

2 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:
37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The thought of it gives me the fear. I don't tend to enjoy long runs anyway, because in my head, I feel like it will never end. Almost like a prison sentence. Back and forth in such a small area would be my personal hell. I hate running without clear progress being made.

For my long runs (before this lockdown anyway) I used to get my wife to drop me off at a certain distance from the house and run home. Certainly gave it more of a purpose than just running in a big circle.

For my long runs (before this lockdown anyway) I used to get my wife to drop me off at a certain distance from the house and run home. Certainly gave it more of a purpose than just running in a big circle.
Yeah, I tend to run to a point and run back. Try to avoid circuits wherever possible. By area is quite hilly though so I always need to try and work it out beforehand and if I finish at the house, I'll be finishing on a hill which I hate so usually finish away from the house and walk back.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Why would anyone run hundreds of laps round their tiny garden? It's not like we're not allowed to go out and run on the streets / in parks etc. 

Quite a few folk are doing it for charity. Fair play to them, not something I could do at all. I was more thinking about the strain on the ankles of constantly turning every ten metres.