P&b Running Club

It's been over a year I've been running. 2-3 times a week and here's what I've done....

5k time from 26mins to sub 22mins.

10K time from 51mins to 45mins

3000M s/c from 15mins30secs to sub 13 mins.

The winter handicap was in 30mins to 23mins

If you want to know I'm 6ft 4 and weighed 16 and a half stones.... now I weigh 13 stones.

I've done this through joining a club. I was at the back trailing behind everyone. I stuck at it. I was being lapped and my target was to be lapped until further in the race. Now I'm actually competiting, not just turning up.

Yep, I can highly recommend joining a club too. It's a Jog Scotland one I joined and it's made a HUGE difference to me - going from a 1 hour 12 min 10k, to a 55 min one in the space of 5 months, for example.

Yep, I can highly recommend joining a club too. It's a Jog Scotland one I joined and it's made a HUGE difference to me - going from a 1 hour 12 min 10k, to a 55 min one in the space of 5 months, for example.

I was on jog scotland the other day, before I got ill (became pretty agrophobic) and gained heaps of weight I ran a 1hr 10min 10k. So I'm going to go along to the jogscotland Mums and buggies on a wed morning, with the two of them in the tandem and once a bit fitter I'll go along to one of the evening ones. Way to unfit to join the night ones at moment.

Goals:

1 hr 10k next May

Loose 3 stone (prob need 4 in total)

I've not run since Edinburgh, walking was sore enough.

Like a lot of people on here I'm more motivated after the weekend and have set myself a number of targets

- Sub 42min 10k

- Sub 1hr 50 Half

- Sub 4hr Marathon

I know that all of these should be achievable but my main problem is injuries. I'm always hurting myself. Nothing serious, but enough to make running uncomfortable or impossible. I can't imagine me ever being able to put the miles in that are required to confidently try 26 miles. I was pushing my luck doing the half and wouldn't have if I wasn't raising cash for charity. Until Sunday, I hadn't ran outside this year or ran more than 8 miles on a treadmill because my training was constantly interrupted.

I think it's a result of poor flexibility (& age).

Until I fix that I think I'll stuggle to get much better than I am at present. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet but it'll probably involve a lot of stretching (yawns) and weights to strengthen weak points (skinny calves & weak lower back).

It's frustrating but I probably won't have the discipline to stick to it. I never have before.

Edited by Ziggy

The difference to my fitness that a wee bit of running every night has done is amazing.

Managed the mile and a bit around my block in under 8 minutes the other night. The first night I did it, it took me about double that as I had to stagger most of the way. :lol:

Forgot to time myself tonight but it felt quicker than the 8 minutes. Aiming for 5 minutes.

I cannot recommend the Jog Scotland groups highly enough. I joined one over 2 years ago, not being able to run to the end of the road.

I've even been out on bike runs with some of them at the weeknds too. Great bunch of folk in all shapes and sizes!

I think it's a result of poor flexibility (& age).

I recomend Stretching each day. I try and get stretching in each morning.

Until I fix that I think I'll stuggle to get much better than I am at present. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet but it'll probably involve a lot of stretching (yawns) and weights to strengthen weak points (skinny calves & weak lower back).

Try body resistant excercising such as Standing Calf raises.

For the rest of the body -

Planks

Side Planks

leg raises

Squats

lunges

leg thrusts

Parkrun is coming to Falkirk. :D First one scheduled for Saturday 16th July. Not on parkrun website yet but you can register.

(Falkirk Parkrun on facebook if you're interested.)

Cool. I can't access FB at work but I gather it's going to be a Saturday morning?

aye from what I can gather anyway. prob 9.30am start

Do you have a link for this? I can't find it on FB.

Not been running in 25 days due to me leaving my running trainers at home when I was offshore. Had to stick to rowing, cycling and cross trainer machines. So thought I would do a quick-ish 30 mins at bannatynes and did 6.25km. Quite happy with that considering the lack of running. Need to get back outside when a nice day comes along.

Did a 6.6km (according to walk jog run) around calendar park and laurieston this morning in just over half an hour (did not time). A little windy but luckily I missed the heavy showers. The good thing is I could have went on if I wanted to. Might do the a 10k route next Saturday.

I ran 4 miles in 22 minutes the other week, couldn't feel my feet after it, probably shouldn't wear Sambas running.

I have to get fit for The Marines next year in case Montrose don't want me to sign for them. laugh.gif

I've just entered the Baxter's Loch Ness 10k. I've decided that that is the one I'm going to get my sub-50 min 10k time. Yes it is. :)

it's supposed to be flat so you'll have a good chance! (yes i read women's running this month!)

I've just entered the Baxter's Loch Ness 10k. I've decided that that is the one I'm going to get my sub-50 min 10k time. Yes it is. :)

The best 10K course in the UK is supposed to be the Blyth 10K. I'm deffinetly doing that one next year and want a sub 43min 10K.