The Cricket Thread

bewlay

What did he say? I missed that.

Kind of boring anecdote. He was talking about how playing in front of the Western Terrace was like going to a Fenerbahce game as an away player. The first time he played there the fans were singing "you're shit, you're sh..." At which point he mumbled the end of his sentence and Gower asked another question.

This game really just confirmed what we knew, the exceptional bowling attack hides frailties in the batting order. Only 2 batsmen made contributions, that is poor.

Yes but in the land of the blind the one eyes man is king.

England had 2/10 batsmen who made a score. Sri Lanka 1/20. On a bowling paradise often only one substantial innings is enough to win a match.

I agree the batting line up has a lot of work to do but Stokes looks like he can develop into a proper top 6 batsman rather than a guy with a good eye. Cook will come back to form and in this match you can forgive Root missing out for a change.

The key is as a unit the middle lower order stepped up. I always remember Fletcher defending the ongoing selection of Jones on the basis he was there for when Eng were cheap for 5 and that is exactly the role Bairstow played out.

Having said all of that I dont see Hales as a long term opener or Compton at 3 by the end of the summer.

Unfair to judge Vince on one inns at an overcast Headingly.

No idea tbh. First time I've heard of him. Dougie Brown is our coach so hopefully he'll give him a chance!

I played with him (and Gavin Main) at school. A real cut above the rest. Took us to national cup final single handedly.

Can always remember being told about his dad going to a Coaching Course and all the candidates being asked about what they are trying to get out of it. Everyone was giving it the "want to help the community" etc and Andy's dad hits out with "I'm here to coach my son". Obviously been coached day in-day out and it really does show.

Jayawardena and Gower not doing too good a job of making a boring, atmosphere-less test match in any way enticing.

Do they have Sweet Baby James Taylor?  If anything, if it's possible, he's even duller.

In better news, it looks like England may have an opener to go with Cook.  

In worse news, I forgot to take my headphones so can't listen to TMS in the cafe.

Edited by Savage Henry

Do they have Sweet Baby James Taylor? If anything, if it's possible, he's even duller.

In better news, it looks like England may have an opener to go with Cook.

In worse news, I forgot to take my headphones so can't listen to TMS in the cafe.

If Cook keeps getting out as cheaply as he has in these two matches they'll be looking for another one!