The Cricket Thread

bewlay

To be cynical, switch that around with Stokes bowling a tight penultimate over and Jordan getting bashed all over the place in the last. Would there be as much sympathy for Jordan as Stokes is currently getting?

I would think there would yes.....why do you think people would not be sympathetic to jordan?

I read quite a bit of the BBC Text update if I'm at work when a game is on - he often appears to be one of the whipping boys for the texters and tweeters.

As I said, probably a bit cynical.[/quote

Wow well they're clearly racist balloons. ...his death bowling arguably got them further in the tournament than any other single factor. I like the guy has had some crap form but has come through and makes a great contribution. Excellent fielder too and can bat some.

Just that on bbc website....lad must be gutted but i guess better to find out like this than having something awful happen.

Yup. Sad news. Terrific fielder at short leg, and a increasingly important to England's middle order.

Was impressive against South Africa with his fielding at short leg and running between the wickets, a busy wee player. Sad to see his career brought to an end like this.

Another chance for Ballance perhaps in the test side now?

Better playing bairstow n buttler surely?

Better playing bairstow n buttler surely?

I get that people want to be entertained with the big hitters like Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler but I'd like to see someone who can grind in when the openers get out cheaply. Someone like Trott in his heyday would have been perfect.

Just my opinion mind, I'm not against getting Buttler in.

I get that people want to be entertained with the big hitters like Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler but I'd like to see someone who can grind in when the openers get out cheaply. Someone like Trott in his heyday would have been perfect.

Just my opinion mind, I'm not against getting Buttler in.

I'd agree with that especially the trott point....but I'm not at all convinced by Ballance

I'd agree with that especially the trott point....but I'm not at all convinced by Ballance

Agreed. I'm not convinced by Bairstow's glove as a keeper or his bat as a pure batsman, either.

I think it's a tricky one for England. I rather suspect the answer hasn't yet played for England.

Agreed. I'm not convinced by Bairstow's glove as a keeper or his bat as a pure batsman, either.

I think it's a tricky one for England. I rather suspect the answer hasn't yet played for England.

Seems to be the modern way though now to have a batsman converted to wkeeper rather than a pure wkeeper. thought Taylor had done enough in the sa tour to have nailed down his place. Really tough on the lad but guess it could have been much worse given the nature of his ailment.

Seems to be the modern way though now to have a batsman converted to wkeeper rather than a pure wkeeper. thought Taylor had done enough in the sa tour to have nailed down his place. Really tough on the lad but guess it could have been much worse given the nature of his ailment.

Ian Bell seems to be making his case early.

Seems to be the modern way though now to have a batsman converted to wkeeper rather than a pure wkeeper.

Adam Gilchrist pretty much killed off the idea of pure wicketkeepers. Chris Read is probably the most solid English keeper of the last 15 years, but his test batting average is pretty hoop, alas.

Horrible news about Taylor, really liked him as a player.

James Foster was another one that was a decent keeper but a #9 absolute best with the bat. The entire English 1990s seemed to be a debate between picking Jack Russell as a fantastic keeper who could bat a bit and Alec Stewart as a batsman who was also a decent keeper, but I agree the days of a pure keeper died with Gilchrist's emergence.

Been watching a wee bit of the IPL, I can't properly get into it due to the shit like timeouts / ad breaks(as if cricket doesn't have enough downtime anyway, and that's speaking as a big cricket fan) and the "Yes bank maximums" rather than sixes. Still think the English version will need to adapt somehow to try and catch up with the IPL / BB, but very difficult to create less teams for 1 of the 3 domestic comps.

Edited by Fuctifano

It's always been the case that a keepers batting ability has been a factor in selection, go back to current England keeper Jonny Bairstow's father David who was selected ahead of Bob Taylor on occasion due to his superior batting. Jimmy Binks in the 60's only made a couple of Test appearances due to being a poor batsman.

It'll be interesting to see how batsmen being shoe-horned into the wicketkeeping role will fare long term - there are a few special ones (Knott, Marsh Gilchrist) but even a good batsman-keeper like Alec Stewart's average dropped significantly when he went behind the stumps and there is a table somewhere on cricinfo that shows that during his period as a wicketkeeper many of his best scores came when England batted first.

Still it's no good taking the Truman Line (weren't like this in my day) cricket like all sports evolves and who knows what it'll be like 20 years from now - maybe in a world of unlimited leisure we'll have gone back to timeless Tests.

Edited by btb